• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Active Rock Station in America!

scottsvb5

Inactive
Inactive User
KHTQ or rock945.com out of spokane wash... mid-market that beats everyone out, in 12-39 age in both Men and Women.. also has most people listening on the internet calling in from throughout the world. Why? Cause they play New Hard Rock/Metal and that's what Kids that listen to Rock want to hear.. Not the overplayed stuff from the 90s or the stuff that came out 4 months ago like some Active Rock stations do. People want "New" and "Fresh" stuff. They have their 20 min drive in the car and want to hear New Music or A Classic Hit that was popular but not overplayed to death. How many times will we hear Pearl Jam or Smashing Punkins or Green Day? This isn't 1997. PD's in Active Rock Stations want "Safe Music" that is popular... well it's not popular.. it's well known and "TIRED OF" The Music generation changes every 8-10 years. Mid80s-Early 90s was Hair-Metal.... Mid 90s-early 2000's was Grunge,Alternative.. and mid 2000's to today has been Active Rock or Hard/Rock Metal again... what is next? Only Record Company excs know..
But if you want Todays Active Rock and want to see Who Does It Correctly... go to rock945.com and give it a listen for a few hours.. not just a couple songs.. hear the music .. see how much New Music they play and see why people tune into this Station and demand to hear New Music.

The reason some Active Rock stations fail is cause the PD's won't play enough New Music, it's a Fact... and just playing the same songs over and over again is what makes a radio station die.. they lose listeners, Ratings, and eventually go All Talk or Country!

Right!

Classic Rock stations are completely unsuccessful, and make zero money!

Remember what we're here for...

I absolutely agree! KHTQ is one of my personal favorites and it reminds me of my all-time fav The Big Red Radio 98 K-UUUUUUU-PD in Phoenix when I lived there in the late 1995-2003. Other favorites of mine include 94.1 JJO (Madison), 101.5 KFLY (Eugene, OR), 106.7 KBPI (Denver) and 99.5 The Rocket (Las Cruces, NM). Those stations all have one thing in common...They know exactly how to effectively program an active rock station. Where I currently reside in CT there are NO real active rock stations within a few hundred miles of me, and before someone chimes in about WCCC it doesn't hold a candle to a KHTQ or KUPD in the music or imaging department, but I do have a huge respect for WCCO's ability to stay local and independent...This area is just soooo over saturated with classic hits and classic rock stations, and to top it off they all sound like complete crap with the same stale overplayed playlists. A proper classic rock station would sound like a KKFM in Colorado Springs or 101.5 KGB in San Diego. Most stations just play it way too safe, or stupid and uneducated depending on how you look at it. Hey nothing ventured, nothing gained! Active rock should be heavy on the new and low on the spins of the older material, but many stations from coast to coast do the polar opposite. As a listener, former radio personality and overall fan of quality rock programming, and all of it's sub-genres it is truly infuriating for me to hear programming done incorrectly. But most PD's don't really care the way they should, and always think they know what's best for all of us in radioland. Well we know KHTQ's PD along with a few others actually do know, and they execute playlists with with their listeners in mind, what a revelation!!! For doing that I tip my hat to them and proudly listen online or through my phone as if I were a local!

Neanderpaul said:
Right!

Classic Rock stations are completely unsuccessful, and make zero money!

They are dying off after all. There's a reason for that too.

G

scottsvb5 said:
KHTQ or rock945.com out of spokane wash... mid-market that beats everyone out, in 12-39 age in both Men and Women.. also has most people listening on the internet calling in from throughout the world. Why? Cause they play New Hard Rock/Metal and that's what Kids that listen to Rock want to hear.. Not the overplayed stuff from the 90s or the stuff that came out 4 months ago like some Active Rock stations do. People want "New" and "Fresh" stuff. They have their 20 min drive in the car and want to hear New Music or A Classic Hit that was popular but not overplayed to death. How many times will we hear Pearl Jam or Smashing Punkins or Green Day? This isn't 1997. PD's in Active Rock Stations want "Safe Music" that is popular... well it's not popular.. it's well known and "TIRED OF" The Music generation changes every 8-10 years. Mid80s-Early 90s was Hair-Metal.... Mid 90s-early 2000's was Grunge,Alternative.. and mid 2000's to today has been Active Rock or Hard/Rock Metal again... what is next? Only Record Company excs know..
But if you want Todays Active Rock and want to see Who Does It Correctly... go to rock945.com and give it a listen for a few hours.. not just a couple songs.. hear the music .. see how much New Music they play and see why people tune into this Station and demand to hear New Music.

The reason some Active Rock stations fail is cause the PD's won't play enough New Music, it's a Fact... and just playing the same songs over and over again is what makes a radio station die.. they lose listeners, Ratings, and eventually go All Talk or Country!

Been listening for under 30 mins and like it already! What is the station like with regard to playing indie rock? THAT, I find, is so incredibly taboo with rock formats here in Toronto, which is a breeding ground for incredible indie rock bands that enjoy fulfilling 5-10 year long careers without so much as blinking at a record label. It blows my mind that our local stations don't connect with these artists and instead play 'new' local music that is more appropriately labelled 'newly signed'. Usually, the songs are months (sometimes years) old to those of us that keep an ear to the ground for new rock music happening in the city, and there are a lot of us!

This is only my opinion but the best Active Rock station in America would be Rock 106.1. They play from the charts but they also play deeper cuts as well. Rock 106.1 out of Hilton Head/Savannah.

the best Active Rock station in America would be Rock 106.1
I have to agree, listened to them tonight and they sound awsome. Heading down to Savannah with a friend to help another friend move, can't wait to check them out.

This is only my opinion but the best Active Rock station in America would be Rock 106.1. They play from the charts but they also play deeper cuts as well. Rock 106.1 out of Hilton Head/Savannah.

I recently attended a wedding on Hilton Head Island, and Rock 106.1 definitely caught my ear. It's the only rock station I've ever heard Babymetal played on, though it was a syndicated show that played it. My favorite, though, is 98.9 The Rock in Kansas City. They're proof that Active Rock can work in a big market. All that's needed is some actual effort in programming by the companies that own them.

ROCK 1061 is horrible. Small playlist. The syndicated shows are a blessing. 98.9 The Rock in KC is the best active rock station I have ever heard. Ironically, the Denver Iheart active rock station isn't half bad. I am a huge alternative fan and find that the iheart cluster in Denver beats to a different drum than most iheart clusters elsewhere in the states. Both the active and alternative stations in Denver are vastly different from their counterparts in other cities.

I always have liked 99.9 KISW in Seattle, but then I would be biased.

Lately I've been listening a lot to The Bear in Merced, California (AM 1660 at night, and online) and I like their mix of rock.

One of my personal favorites for the rock/active rock category would be KXLR 95.9 "X-Rock" in Fairbanks, Alaska. Good mix of both new and old...a typical set could include stuff like Stone Sour-Tired, Days of the New-Touch, Peel and Stand, Seven Mary Three-Cumbersome, Led Zeppelin-Immigrant Song, you get the idea...

Just my two cents.

Been awhile since this thread has been updated. Savannah's WFXH is still decent, although new owners Dick Broadcasting have made some questionable moves, namely, the firing of Ryan the night jock who also did the "underexposed" local music show on Sunday evenings. Dumping Lex & Terry in the morning was a good move however.

Up the road in Charleston, the bloodletting at WYBB (98Rock) ended up being a Godsend, as their playlist (along with their shiny new and taller transmitter) is now pumping out a much wider variety of active rock than they did when (former) PD Matthew Potter was at the helm. They have become one of the best rockers in the Southeast. Have to ditch Bubba the Love Sponge however. His show is a proven failure outside of Tampa.

Orlando's WJRR, while still chock full of personality, is slipping bigtime. Iheart has seemed to lose their ability to properly program a rock station. The music is stale & ratings reflect it. Central FL is in real danger of losing its rock station.

Meanwhile in Jacksonville, there's still no rock station. Jax just hosted the massive "Welcome to Rockville" festival last month, yet....no rock station. And no, an 80 watt translator doesn't count as a rock station.

KHTQ in Spokane continues to be amazing. Never change guys.

Other great rockers include WIIL (north of Chicago), KDDX (Rapid City, SD) and Lazer in Green Bay

G

WCLG-FM in Morgantown, West Virginia is very good. Mostly new rock. Another active rock station 94.3 FM 15 min. south in Fairmont signed on recently and seems to be good. Just haven't heard it enough yet.

New today: 93.7 the Shark, Georgetown SC. That small town is located in the Myrtle Beach market but the station can't reach Myrtle Beach, though through most of its history it had a simulcast partner there. Anyway, you can hear it here. Their objective so far seems to be to play music that is as loud as possible, regardless of quality. https://streamdb9web.securenetsystems.net/v5/WBHC

That didn't last long. The music mix kept changing, with more metal and less alternative. Today, it's country.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom