Need Help: My Giveaway Tickets Were Sold by the Radio Station

Thread: Need Help: My Giveaway Tickets Were Sold by the Radio Station

Need Help: My Giveaway Tickets Were Sold by the Radio Station

This is my first time on the board and so I hope I'm in the right board topic.

I have a question about something that doesn't quite sit right with me. I'm promoting a band who will be giving a local concert. The radio station owed my some "make-good" spots from a previous buy so I asked if they would run spots for this concert. They said they would and asked if I had tickets to give them for on-air giveaways. I gave them some tickets to give away and the next thing I know is they are selling them to listeners at a discounted rate. I know radio stations have very strict rules about on-air giveaways. Should I file a complaint?

Re: Need Help: My Giveaway Tickets Were Sold by the Radio Station

It sounds like the station was being rather unscrupulous in this instance. I say go for it. The worst that could happen is that they'll never work with you again... Have you spoken the the general manager? That would the first step...

Re: Need Help: My Giveaway Tickets Were Sold by the Radio Station

Yuck. Paraphrasing "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids," that station's just like school in the summer - they got no class.

Gotta pick your battles, praying it goes well for you. I wonder about the legalities of this. Did the station take the money, or did some unscrupulous staffer pocket the cash?

For next time, maybe you could:
    • Either have a written contract with the station that they sign, which says the tickets are "for giveaway only."
    • Or get a red rubber stamp saying something like "not to be sold, for promotional giveaway purposes only" and stamp each ticket in ink.