• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Format change at WAMS-101.1

The '80s hits format that began last fall at WAMS-FM 101.1 (Snow Hill) didn't last long. The '80s music has already been replaced by satellite-fed oldies from Scott Shannon's "True Oldies Channel." They're still using the 105.1 translator in Ocean Pines to relay the 101.1 programming. This seems to be the end of the WAMS mini-network, since the Dover outpost had already dropped the '80 programming several months ago.

Yes, the Dover station was sold and they provided the 80's format on 101.1. True Oldies has been on 101.1 for two months now.

Very sad news - I had WAMS as a preset on my SmartPhone - used to listen all the time from California. I loved the 80s jingles - many of which I used to play in the 80s. WAMS After Dark was terrific - very much an A/C station from the early 90s style - a mix of 70s and 80s soft rock with some 90s. Even Rick Dees and John Tesh were a good mix with the format. For a couple of weeks in early April, after the main station had gone True Oldies, the WAMS 80s stream remained with the music and the jingles, although it was more or less a jukebox at that point. It was like WAMS was struggling on life support, then it finally died a quiet death - the stream is no longer active - 80s or Oldies. I would love someone to bring the format back somehow - even an HD2 with a live stream, or if the programmers of WAMS would just do their best to resurrect the format online - maybe they wouldn't be able to run the syndicated programming for cost reasons, but the jingles, great library and WAMS After Dark deserve to stay running somehow.

I agree. Very disappointed! I stayed after they left Dover. I was a loyal listener from PA and even won tickets from the station twice. I listened when I was in and around Dover and online here at home. I guess I was one of the few.

And now there's been another format change at WAMS-FM 101.1. The True Oldies format of the past few months is gone, and has been replaced by Black Gospel as "Praise 101.1."

True Oldies is already on 1590 AM and 104.3 FM in Ocean City. Rebroadcasting it on 101.1 was overkill. Gospel was a good move for 101.1. The two big stations in the Salisbury area are OC104 and Magic 98.9 both Urban. Praise 101.1 should do well with Urban Gospel. After many years of ownership Jack Gillian sold the station on May 1st.

When the WAMS failure was on 1260 in Newark, they did the same thing. Local oldies for while, R&B olides, Gospel, Scott's True Oldies Channel, John Tesh in the mornings for while. The constant changing is a sure sign of an unstable owner who advertisers cannot trust.

Very wise move Dave! Radio stopped being a fun way to work years ago and now its not even fun to listen to. I find myself really missing the old WTUX. If nothing else good can be said about it, it was fun.

This station is back to Black Gospel again as "Praise 101.1," after some time with an adult hits format. According to the legal ID, they are simulcasting on WRJE 1600AM and the 105.1 translator in the Dover, DE area. It will be interesting to see how long this latest change lasts.

As of the new year alternative "The Ryde" has been demoted to Ocean City's AM-1590/FM-105.1 WIJK. 101.1 is now classic county "Nash Icon, The Shore's Home for Real Country Music and Big Dawg Fun in the Morning with Skip Dixon".

http://101nashicon.com/

4 months later the station is still variety hits, but back to "Jack FM"

I personally like the Jack FM format (I can't stand the voice over though) but I don't see this format being redituable in a small city, maybe I'm wrong...

P.d. Who the hell thought of the callsign "WSUX"?

Recently AM1280/96.3 is off, and now WSUX-FM applied to move a few miles south-west to a new frequency and power (94.5 at 6,000 watts). Stay tooned.

WSUX-FM is being sold to the owners of WCTG and WOWZ. WCTG is already a adult hits format, wonder if this becomes a simulcast or something altogether different?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom