• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Long delay on WIP-FM

Not sure if this was discussed before, but why is there such a long delay during Phillies on WIP-FM? I was switching back and forth between WEEU and WIP-FM this afternoon and timed WEEU a good 20 to 25 seconds ahead of WIP-FM. I could imagine such a delay would make taking the radio to the ballpark to listen to WIP-FM nearly impossible since it'd be so far out of sync with the game.

It's probably to sync it up with WIP-FM HD1. They are purposely delaying analog feeds to sync up with the HD ones. When you tune into an HD broadcast, you get the analog one first and then it transitions into the digital one afrer 4-5 seconds. If you want to listen to it live, they say listen to on WPHT. Does that mean that they're turning off the HD on WPHT during the baseball games so that there is no delay?

Hopefully I can contribute my thoughts here. When you listen to 1210 which is the "orginial"
broadcast feed you hear the thoughts first. Then, 4-7 secs. later you hear the 'orginial' broadcast
again on 94.1. I have no idea about HD transmission. Just think the delay is because of
talk shows need the delay for foul language. BTW, the P.D. at WIP-AM/FM is Andy Bloom. Which he can explain to us why the delay. His email is [email protected]. He also handles 1210 PHT for programming.

Maybe they are purposefully delaying to match the TV delay? I haven't tried it, but that's what WIP-FM (and WYSP before it) did/does with Eagles games.

I also hope there is 0 delay on 1210, which is the same thing they do with Eagles games (the AM station totally live for the audience in the building).

Didn't have a chance to check today. Did anyone notice what CBS was doing with 610 while 94 had the game today?

The delay required to sync up FM HD1 with FM analog is 8.4 seconds or thereabouts. Any delay beyond that would be for profanity, or possibly an attempt to sync play-by-play coverage with TV broadcasts, where encoding/transmission/decoding for HDTV can easily add 15-20 seconds to the "live" broadcast.

WEEU was definitely ahead of WIP-FM by more than 8.4 seconds. I was surprised how much later WIP-FM. I timed it and it was at least 20, maybe 24 seconds.

I like a long delay. I like the FM to be a fair amount behind the TV feed, so that I can pause the DVR on the TV feed to sync with the radio.

Haven't listened to WDEL yet this season for Phillies. But I believe they were usually about 20 seconds ahead of WPHT.

Scott Fybush said:
The delay required to sync up FM HD1 with FM analog is 8.4 seconds or thereabouts. Any delay beyond that would be for profanity, or possibly an attempt to sync play-by-play coverage with TV broadcasts, where encoding/transmission/decoding for HDTV can easily add 15-20 seconds to the "live" broadcast.
What is the delay on an AM-HD station? Would they need to turn off the HD on WPHT during games to actually have the analog live? If not, with an HD radio, you could be going back and forth between HD and analog.

So, it is not bringing the digital signal in line with the analog, indeed, it is quite the reverse. This would explain the sync problem I experience with WDAE during the Rays games but not during the "regular" programming. I have to turn off my HD jump when I listen to the game.

Does that mean the top of the hour tone, generated at the transmitter, would be behind real time as well?

Generally, How often is that re-syncing necessary?

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom