• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHAT IS BEST EAS SYSTEM?

We're about to send our EAS back to Trilithic to have it upgraded to meet new regulations.

With that said is Trilithic EASY PLUS the best unit on the market? We really love its performance, the fact that it keeps logs forever, and ease of use, but nevertheless I feel remiss if I didn't ask the question.

Look forward to your advice!

josh

How much is the upgrade? If you have to get the nic card and software,i'm guessing close to 1500.00. If this is the case,i would just go ahead and get a newer box like the digital alert with or without radios or the Sage endec which you would provide the radios.For the extra money you're getting a newer box with more options.How old is the Trilithic? If you upgrade it,then have a ps or mb failure,you'll wish you got the newer box.IMHO

Yep, buy a new box. I love my DAS-DEC and I'm sure the Sage is fine too. Because the DAS-DEC emails my weekly reports, it has made keeping an EAS log a piece of cake. I just print out the email, review it, sign it and put it in the log book. Unless somebody in the daisy chain failed to send a test, that only takes five minutes.

Besides, it really didn't cost much more than a band-aid approach. This is something you are going to keep for 10-20 years. EAS isn't going away, so you might as well make it easy on yourself. Do you really think that old box will be working in 10 years?

Put both DAS-DEC and Sage units in. Both have the ability to email and log all activity digitally. I can log in to any of them from home or on the road, check logs and run tests. That feature alone is worth the price of an upgrade.

WNTIRadio said:
Put both DAS-DEC and Sage units in. Both have the ability to email and log all activity digitally. I can log in to any of them from home or on the road, check logs and run tests. That feature alone is worth the price of an upgrade.

Agreed. I love getting rid of those blasted paper tapes and just printing the email report for the log folder.

We found the DASDEC a real PITA to get the network to work with it. Sage was much easier.
Also like the Sage log format better for ease in reading the print-outs

Last quote I got on a Sage was $2100, so makes little sense to try and bandaid an older unit. Not a big fan of the units with the built in radios--at one site we had to upgrade the weather radio because NWS cut back their power. Station was back in the hills far enough we could only get one NWS station, so we had build a complete new receiver with preamp to get any reception.

I haven't worked with the other models other than Sage. I think the Sage is probably the best option for most of us though based on what I've heard. With that being said, Sage needs to get their audio issues worked out with their stuff being easily overdriven vs. metering. Also the new units seem to not be able to properly strip off the two-tone signals so you can end up with multiple two-tones on stations downstream. This sucks. Both issues have been discovered and known about for quite some time. Sage promises a fix for the level issue but as of to date, nothing. They have suggested "fixes" for the two-tone issue but yet they don't seem to have much positive effect. for three grand this petty issues should have been tested and worked out before any of them were even shipped out.

3k? street price for sage is 2100.00. It has quirky issues as mentioned.I still prefer the Dasdec units and the support is very good,should you need it.

In my world, the Digital Alert Systems DASDEC II is the best EAS you can buy. Friendly tech support when you need it, software upgrades are done when needed for no charge, is CAP compliant and easy to work with. And also great for clusters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom