• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My biggest wish for Philly Radio

R

RadioPhillyFan

I WISH WPEN would become like Baltimores awesome HFS. Gosh, sitting here in Kennet somehow getting it. Loving it.

Amazing music selection, less bizarre then RFF, more modern the MMR - This is what Philly needs badly. Plus, we already have a sports station, you can't get much more different with that format.

RadioPhillyFan said:
I WISH WPEN would become like Baltimores awesome HFS. Gosh, sitting here in Kennet somehow getting it. Loving it.

Amazing music selection, less bizarre then RFF, more modern the MMR - This is what Philly needs badly. Plus, we already have a sports station, you can't get much more different with that format.

Ok, I'll bite,..

We already have two stations that play NEW rock music. If you are a fan of alternative, why is WRFF bizarre? They have a softer playlist yes, but they play a lot of true alternative songs. Their ratings are quite high. WHFS in its heyday played pretty much the gold the Radio 104.5 plays now.

WMMR plays some of the more harder stuff, the Linkin Park's,(WRFF plays as well) Theory of a Deadman, etc, which in my opinion makes alternative radio not alternative, but mainstream. These are the bands that almost killed the format back in the early 2000's... Most of the stations that adopted this format (remember Limp Bizkit) either A)changed formats or B)went back to true alternative.

We have it pretty good here, when I go back to where I grew up (North Jersey), there is nothing to listen to. WDHA is unlistenable to me, I can't stand that 80's hairband crap.

RFF plays "softer" alternative, I often have to change RFF every other song. It's that simple.

Also, someone here referred to RFF as "bizzare" - and I originally refrerred to it as a soft station. It sounds AAA. Like Graffiti Radio WSTW-HD2.

I really like HFS too.

Wish that RFF played Weezer, Offspring, Bush, etc more like HFS.

That's what the majority of people who listen to Alternstive listen to, almost sure an HFS copy would pull 2.0-4.0 in ratings, I'd put money on that.

Anyway, as soon as I pulled out of the Wendys and onto 1, I caught WPEN again, it was a nice five minutes. :D

RadioPhillyFan said:
RFF plays "softer" alternative, I often have to change RFF every other song. It's that simple.

Also, someone here referred to RFF as "bizzare" - and I originally refrerred to it as a soft station. It sounds AAA. Like Graffiti Radio WSTW-HD2.

I really like HFS too.

Wish that RFF played Weezer, Offspring, Bush, etc more like HFS.

That's what the majority of people who listen to Alternstive listen to, almost sure an HFS copy would pull 2.0-4.0 in ratings, I'd put money on that.

Weezer today: (almost every other hour)

1:35 PM- I Want To
11:01 AM- Buddy Holly
8:55 AM - Perfect Situation

Offspring today:
4:43 - Come out and Play (Offspring belongs at 4:43 AM)

Bush:(only has had a couple of hits, Everything Zen, Glycerine, Come Down)
10:30am - Glycerine
8:04am- Come Down

How much more should they play?? :D

By the way, how do you know that the majority of people who listen to alternative want to hear those songs? It's my favorite genre, but those bands have been beaten to death....

mrbrightside said:
By the way, how do you know that the majority of people who listen to alternative want to hear those songs? It's my favorite genre, but those bands have been beaten to death....

Video sharing hits (Youtube, Vimeo, Dailymotion)
Audio sharing hits (Soundcloud, Grooveshark, Rdio)
Radio plays
Album sells.

Pretty reliable when one beats some songs unique to RFF in those.

Also, I don't dislike RFF, I seriously feel there is a format gap here in Rock radio at Philly, I think GM should lean MMR much much more Active, it's got a Classic Rocker in the same market.

And what RFF is doing is working, so they shouldn't change it.

Greater Media wouldn't be afraid to add an Alternative format seeing they allow MGK and MMR to overlap SO much, I can't even express how much these stations overlap. I'm seeing six songs that are similar just today comparing them. That's a pet peeve of mine.

You know, HFS just is my kind of Alternative.

Do you prefer HFS to RFF or RFF to HFS?

mrbrightside said:
Bush:(only has had a couple of hits, Everything Zen, Glycerine, Come Down)

How much more should they play?? :D

Machinehead, Little Things, Swallowed, and The Chemicals Between Us were all hits, and still get plenty of play on other alternative stations.

Ugh, I'm starting to get slightly irritated with all the Philly rock critique threads lately. We're so lucky in this town, that even when we lost a major rock station this summer, we still had three rock stations left, and that's not even counting the rock tracks that XPN or Rowan radio plays, or the ones that crossover onto Q or Mix or OGL. Compared to NYC or Chicago we're flush with rock, so I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And I have to concur with the other poster, I've never heard a day since it launched that RFF didn't play Weezer or Bush or both. Almost all the main bands that can easily crossover from mainstream to alternative -- including the grunge bands, Foo Fighters, STP, DMB, Green Day, Pumpkins, Radiohead, Collective Soul, Offspring, 311, etc. etc. et al -- get plenty of play on both MMR and RFF ...and it's only a matter of time before they start showing up on MGK too (as it is, in the last few years I've started noticing more Bon Jovi, REM and Def Leppard trickling onto MGK).

radio-free ventnor said:
Ugh, I'm starting to get slightly irritated with all the Philly rock critique threads lately. We're so lucky in this town, that even when we lost a major rock station this summer, we still had three rock stations left, and that's not even counting the rock tracks that XPN or Rowan radio plays, or the ones that crossover onto Q or Mix or OGL. Compared to NYC or Chicago we're flush with rock, so I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And I have to concur with the other poster, I've never heard a day since it launched that RFF didn't play Weezer or Bush or both. Almost all the main bands that can easily crossover from mainstream to alternative -- including the grunge bands, Foo Fighters, STP, DMB, Green Day, Pumpkins, Radiohead, Collective Soul, Offspring, 311, etc. etc. et al -- get plenty of play on both MMR and RFF ...and it's only a matter of time before they start showing up on MGK too (as it is, in the last few years I've started noticing more Bon Jovi, REM and Def Leppard trickling onto MGK).

All I'm saying is I could do without MMR playing so much 70's-90's and RFF playing so much bizzare singles. I've been loving mYSP.

Anyway, 75% of the time my radio is tuned to WMGK, the other 15% is WRDW and the last 10% is KYW, WISX, WDEL, WRFF and WMMR.

Bobf said:
RadioPhillyFan.....You have been listening to wMYsp? HD3 or stream?

HD3 as much as I can, tends to be failing me quite quite often, so stream more so then the HD-3.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom