• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audio drops

L

lp

There's an FM station here in town that loses its audio for a split second at the same time, to the minute, every morning. Any idea on what would cause this?

A little more info may help. Are they live or automated? Are they running satellite? Do they just loose audio or are they loosing the carrier.
This kind of problems can really be a pain to find sometimes and may not be in the control of the station operators. At a station I work for the power would go off every morning at 8:08am for about 5 seconds and again around 4:30pm This went on for over 2 weeks.

They're live, no sat. Good question re carrier vs audio. I'll pay attention. It's actually been going on a few years. 5:45AM, happens summer and winter...

I'm not sure what the rules are nowadays, but could it be that they are switching transmitters to go to a PSA (Pre-Sunrise Authorization) power level?
Are they AM or FM?

lp said:
There's an FM station here in town that loses its audio for a split second at the same time, to the minute, every morning. Any idea on what would cause this?

Maybe they are switching to another studio location at 5:45am?

RFB

Probably a switcher operation would be my first guess. Of course, it could be many things. Yah, give the station a call and ask. Then let us know.

Is the studio and transmitter in the same building? If not It could be thier STL. I have Centurylink providing 6 STL lines using Pulsecom PCAU encode/decode and am constantly fighting dropouts. ED

Is it always on the same piece of audio? It could be sub-audible bass that their audio processor is passing through that is locking your tuner. We had that for a certain spot that played, only showed up on certain tuners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom