• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Anyone uncomfortable with Wiz Khalifa?????

radiowizard101

Frequent Participant
The song "Young, Wild, & Free" by Wiz Khalifa makes me cringe. Is this the message we want to send to our young people? It should be "Young, Wild, Free, & STUPID". And to think, it's being played on CHR in hot rotation. Now... that's REALLY STUPID.

This is NOT responsible programming. I think the blame begins with the Consultants and Consolidation. That is the only way this TASTELESS song would wind up on CHR in hot rotation in most major markets.

We live in wonderful times.

Marijuana is responsible for fewer deaths than alcohol due to chronic liver failure, heart disease, lung cancer, etc- not to mention the lost of lives associated with drinking and driving- and alcohol plays a heavy and rather accepted role in our society. Not to mention, alcohol is a leading cause of physical abuse towards one's family, including children. Alcohol also has no beneficial, medicinal side effects for people trying to curb pain for cancer, AIDS and other diseases.

Yet where was the outrage when Kesha sang about brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack? Or when countless other songs about alcohol make it to the CHR airwaves?

You're reaching here- and picking on one song that isn't any worse than any of the other stuff on the radio, past or present.

Here's a list of entertainers who didn't die from marijuana:
Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Mama Cass, Jim Morrison, shall I continue?

Weren't you on the CHR/Pop forum with a similar topic? Have you also been living under a rock for 20 years? There are lots of pop songs with references to marijuana and even more songs with references to alcohol and sex. Yet, when someone raps about smoking a joint, you get upset about it and make stupid comments like "we live in wonderful times." Like I said on your other post, drug references go back (I gave the Cab Calloway tune where the song title has a hidden message in it: Reefer Man).

justpassingthough said:
Yet where was the outrage when Kesha sang about brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack? Or when countless other songs about alcohol make it to the CHR airwaves?

Right on right on

sdh483 said:
Weren't you on the CHR/Pop forum with a similar topic? Have you also been living under a rock for 20 years? There are lots of pop songs with references to marijuana and even more songs with references to alcohol and sex. Yet, when someone raps about smoking a joint, you get upset about it and make stupid comments like "we live in wonderful times." Like I said on your other post, drug references go back (I gave the Cab Calloway tune where the song title has a hidden message in it: Reefer Man).

To sum this up, if you're gonna pick on one song referring to smoking weed, or having sex, or anything of that nature, you might as well pick on all of them. There are several songs that refer to smoking ("Stay Fly" by Three 6 Mafia, which saw considerable airplay on many CHR/Rhythmic outlets), partying ("No Sleep" by Wiz Khalifa, another perfect example, although it really didn't hit big on the charts), wild alcohol usage (pretty much any Ke$ha song you can name), and having sex (the entire Trey Songz discography), yet I haven't seen you complain about that.

Maybe you don't like Wiz Khalifa, or maybe you grew up in a different era where lyrical content like this, although it was still out there (think Rick James, Prince, any other examples listed on this post), wasn't as mainstream as it is now. But whatever the case is, you complaining about it is not gonna stop CHR stations from playing it.

Yeah... there are lots of tasteless songs on CHR radio these days. That's just the way it is.

One song in particular that I have a beef about is Enrique Iglesias's song "Tonight (I'm F&*king You)". That song is very catchy and has a great beat, but the subject matter is terribly crass and inappropriate. It's basically glorifying rape if you think about it. I much prefer to hear the clean version.

The Wiz Khalifa song blatantly stands out.

I guess part of the reason I say that is because I also don't like the song itself, but still. The chorus is blatant, in your face, clearly spoken and enunciated. The message is delivered crystal clear, just about as clearly as the NAS - "I Can" message was. Any kid who can understand the "LMNOP" portion of the ABC's could surely also clearly understand the entire chorus of Wiz Khalifa's "young wild & free".

Unlike the Enrique Iglesias song, the Wiz Khalifa song still spreads their message loud, clean and clear on the CLEAN version (unless, of course, they completely edit out some of the words from the chorus).

Has anyone noticed the editing on this song? Some Stations Remove the word "Drunk" from the Chorus, But Keep the words "Roll One" "Smoke One" later in the Song. Most CC Stations go the other way around. Which seems to make more sense to me. Keep "Drunk" and remove "Roll One" "Smoke One"

Heard the song yesterday, thought about it, and noticed the two things I didn't like most about it.

1. The melody. The melody is so "friendly" and kid-like - almost like "I can" by Nas. It's very soft. But then again, that's probably the sound they were trying to achieve. I could imagine Katy Perry using that same instrumental for something else.

2. Nate Dogg would've murdered the track. Imagine if Nate Dogg was on the hook instead. But he's not.

I also don't care much for the hook, but if I did actually like the song, I probably wouldn't care what the words were as long as the lyrics didn't sound extremely weak. After all, I do like "shots" by Lmfao ft. Lil Jon.

If this song makes the original poster cringe, I can imagine what "Tipsy" by J-Kwon would've done. I mean, dude was underage when he made it.

Actually I take back some of what I said in my first post on the first page. I noticed that certain words are actually changed in the radio edit and the song itself isn't really any worse than other content on the radio.

At least it doesn't talk about being cut open and bleeding like "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis. That's a great theme song for surgeons!

I'm guessing you've never heard "The Motto" by Drake? I've never heard a song with that much censoring on commercial radio.

I understand you might not like the message if you really break a song down or listen to every word. But if you don't play a hit on the chart because of it or you're actually letting it effect you by making a thread about it, you shouldn't be in CHR, rythmic, or hip hop radio.

To answer your question, yes, I am uncomfortable. And this is coming from someone who actually kind of likes that "Black & Yellow" song. However, I was disappointed by Wiz Khalifa's verse in "Payphone". Wiz Khalifa just keeps going on and on about how rich he is and about how his car starts with the push of a button.

Let's have some diversity in subject matter already! And that goes for the ENTIRE top ten on the current rhythmic chart and urban chart (my source of information is the Americasmusiccharts website). I am uncomfortable with the state of current mainstream rhythmic/urban music. Seriously, I think every song in the top ten of the rhythmic and urban charts right now is about relationships/sex, money, or getting drunk at a club. Sometimes, all three themes are mixed into one song. "Pound the Alarm" features all three of these themes in the first few lines of the song.

Rihanna's latest, "Diamonds", must be the first mainstream urban/rhythmic song in a long time that has any positive lyrics that aren't also specifically about a relationship.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom