• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHAT HAPPENED TO SPANISH-LANGUAGE RADIO?

Radiofornia

Inactive
Inactive User
After spending a few days in Miami I was surprised to listen all Spanish-language radio stations are playing the same thing (bachata, reggaeton and English-language hip hop). Gone are the days of hearing salsa, merengue, and baladas. At least from channel surfing I noticed the following stations have a very similar playlist:

- Romance & El Zol (SBS)
- Mix & Amor (Univision)
- Super X & Mega (Clear Channel)

I was looking forward to hearing some Roberto Carlos and Camilo Sesto on Super X, and to my surprise I was greeted by the likes of Edward Maya, Pitbull & Akon.

Don Omar's "Dutty Love" plays constantly on all of those stations. Seems you can't go one minute without hearing that song in Miami. I can see musical tastes have changed over the years, but what's the mentality of CC, SBS, and Univision? They are cannibalizing their own stations targeting essentially the same audience. And the names "Romance" and "Amor" are just brands now, since they no longer represent the music they're playing.

And you can't tell me that NOBODY in Miami likes Salsa or baladas without the reggaeton and hip-hop. Is this mess research-driven, or just some kids playing PD on all of these powerful stations?

Radiofornia said:
And you can't tell me that NOBODY in Miami likes Salsa or baladas without the reggaeton and hip-hop. Is this mess research-driven, or just some kids playing PD on all of these powerful stations?

Salsa is dead, even in Puerto Rico, except as a gold format for people over 50.

Camilo and Jose Jose are alive and well on WCMQ FM, where the average age of the listener is something like 65.

You are looking for two kinds of music that don't get listeners in the sales demos... 70's AC ballads and salsa.

For a fun hispanic station with real Tropical flavor, try www.bahiatampa.com

It is better than Z92 in Miami and Salsa 98.1 in Orlando

WTMP-AM 1150 and WTMP-FM 96.1

It's a real shame that the FM only reaches Pasco, Polk, Hernando and the northeast section of Hillsborough County, but to my surprise, thesignal is clear as far as Disney World to the east on I-4

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom