• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RDS and Sports Radio

Hi! How are All of You? Me not bad and it is snowing this morning here at the Northwest part of the Province of New Brunswick Canada. About six months ago or around that time and when in last August CKAC went to an All Traffic and Weather station and the Sports Radio went to 98.5 FM partially, now 98.5FM now has "Les Amateurs de Sports" with Michel Villeneuve and "Bonsoir Les Sportif" with the Hilariously Funny Ron Fournier(Retired NHL Referee) and on Friday it is Michel Langlois and all the other Sports Radio Shows which were on CKAC AM 730 were all gone so there were some "rumors" that the Cable French Sports Television Station RDS(Réseau des Sports) wanted to buy some AM Frequencies and/or maybe to buy some existing AM radio stations. I know form facts that there was a lot of People(listeners) upset about CKAC changing of format, I listened to many Listeners calling Ron Fournier and other Show hosts at 98.5FM saying and complaining that They could not listen to Les Amateurs de Sport and Bonsoir Les Sportifs anymore because They were living in Eastern Quebec and Far Eastern Quebec and here also in the Province of New Brunswick could not listen anymore because Those shows were on FM and as You all know FM is not very good for to carry very far signals except where there all some repeaters like CBC has, but not 98.5 FM. When People the Listeners heard about those RDS rumors They had Hopes but now We do not hear anything about those rumors or were They the Truth or only stupid and bogus rumors. Are there anyone out there who know anything about that front or has some inkling what is happening on that front?
Thanks for reading all this and Take Care all of You.
P.S. If it is the wrong Forum Thread to post this question or inquiry, The Moderators can move it to the appropriate Thread, I would not mind. Thanks.

Hi! No one answered my questions, maybe nobody knows, I know there is some Radio Experts here, so I thought that some would know what was happening with that. At least there is 16 who read the post. Thanks and take care.

The English RDS, TSN has three radio stations, so I and We thought that RDS will do the same thing(at least one radio station on AM and at night We could here those shows, on FM it is impossible), because it is owned by Bell Media also, maybe some day. I am not talking only about me here, I care for other Listeners like me, but me I am listening to 98.5FM on the web at night, but in the car, it is impossible. Ciao!!

I'll start out by saying I know nothing. That being said, I think it's a go0d idea to have a French language sports network. I know someone had tried to put on a second AM in Quebec City, but that application was either withdrawn or denied. I can't remember which one. I'd like to see a nice high powered AM that could cover Montreal to Gaspe at night..ideally located in the capital. It could provide an ok signal to those parts during the day. FM is getting to full in many places, and there's no reason it couldn't succeeed on AM.

mimo said:
I'd like to see a nice high powered AM that could cover Montreal to Gaspe at night..ideally located in the capital. It could provide an ok signal to those parts during the day. FM is getting to full in many places, and there's no reason it couldn't succeeed on AM.

However, if the station owners want to pursue Montreal in addition to Quebec City, they're going to need a station that is local to Montreal, mainly because the Quebec City station would be hard to receive in parts of Montreal, especially in office buildings downtown.

Mimo.....funny you should mention the second AM station in Quebec City as I was just digging up the history on that whole situation earlier today.

In 2000 Yves Sauve received approval to start a 10,000 watt Country station on 1060 in the now defunct Quebec City suburb of Saint-Nicolas (now part of Levis):
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2000/DB2000-417.htm
After receiving 3 extensions to get this station on the air Mr. Sauve apparently gave up on it in 2004.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2003/db2003-515.htm

In 2006 the same folks who operate CJMS 1040 in the Montreal suburb of Saint-Constant, Medialex, applied to take over where Yves Sauve left off. Medialex applied for a 10,000 watt Country station on 980 in Levis:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2006/pb2006-101.htm
However this application was rejected by the CRTC.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2006/db2006-351.htm
It should also be noted that an application for a Country station on 105.7 FM in Levis by Yves Sauve was also rejected at the same time.

I didn't know about the application for 1060 but the 980 application was the one I was thinking of. If I remember right both allocations are Quebec City Frequencies.

I think the right frequency (and location) might be the old 550 Allocation in Trois Rivieres. Low spot on the dial, could conceivably hit both cities with a decent signal. I remember the old 550 that was there did hit Ottawa, but not a very strong signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom