• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BDS Rhythmic Panel updated

Effective with the March 3, 2012 issue, WJHM/Orlando moves over from the Urban panel to the Rhythmic panel, while WYRB/Rockford is added to the Rhythmic panel as a new monitored reporter.

kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:
Not only that, it appears that WJHM seems to be setting their sights on a certain station... and its not 95.3.

WXXL. We'll see how well that goes for them...

At this rate, WJHM seem to be increasing the Pop content, so they seem to be getting away from the R&B/Hip-Hop realm. They added Fun's "We Are Young" and Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" to the playlist, an indication that 102 Jamz is now following the CBS Rhythmic radio platform.

only1moore said:
kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:
Not only that, it appears that WJHM seems to be setting their sights on a certain station... and its not 95.3.

At this rate, WJHM seem to be increasing the Pop content, so they seem to be getting away from the R&B/Hip-Hop realm. They added Fun's "We Are Young" and Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" to the playlist, an indication that 102 Jamz is now following the CBS Rhythmic radio platform.

Sad. Why try to sound like everyone else. Now Orlando has no official Urban Hip-Hop station.

only1moore said:
kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:

Follow if they might, but their ratings won't likely be any better. Orlando needs another rhythmic station like I need additional hole in my head. Miami cannot sustain 2 rhythmics and it is twice the size and more diverse, so does really CBS think this is going to work?

As many of us have said, WJHM should have gone the CHRurban route. The market for R&B/Hip-Hop is there in the market and it is growing. CBS screwed up with this syndication strategy.

Actually, this is the best strategy for 102 Jams. Their ratings have been mediocre for a while now
When you're an Urban with mediocre ratings you face a challenging position trying to sell commercials.
When you're Rhythmic or a CHR/Pop station, agencies are willing to cut you more slack.
I think with 102 Jams fantastic signal, which covers the entire Orlando-Kissimmee market, the entire Daytona Beach market, and reaches the growing Palm Coast market, it makes sense for the station to tweak its heritage sound. Hence why Fun, Gotye, and Kelly Clarkson are now all in regular rotation.

With regards to Miami, Power 96 is the official Rhythmic station, but a couple of the Spanish stations, Mix 98.3 and Mega 94.9, are in effect bilingual Rhythmic CHRs. That's why Power 96 is now all over Michael Telo's international smash "Ai Se Eu Te Pego"

Plus, Miami has a very successful heritage Urban station in 99 Jamz

CHRles said:
Actually, this is the best strategy for 102 Jams. Their ratings have been mediocre for a while now
When you're an Urban with mediocre ratings you face a challenging position trying to sell commercials.
When you're Rhythmic or a CHR/Pop station, agencies are willing to cut you more slack.
I think with 102 Jams fantastic signal, which covers the entire Orlando-Kissimmee market, the entire Daytona Beach market, and reaches the growing Palm Coast market, it makes sense for the station to tweak its heritage sound. Hence why Fun, Gotye, and Kelly Clarkson are now all in regular rotation.

With regards to Miami, Power 96 is the official Rhythmic station, but a couple of the Spanish stations, Mix 98.3 and Mega 94.9, are in effect bilingual Rhythmic CHRs. That's why Power 96 is now all over Michael Telo's international smash "Ai Se Eu Te Pego"

Plus, Miami has a very successful heritage Urban station in 99 Jamz

The mediocrity of WJHM was because of constant management shifts, and the station has migrated from urban-leaning rhythmic to full fledged urban over the years. This strategy would successfully work if Power 95.3 wasn't on air, but they are beating them 2-1 in ratings already, and now they are trying to compete with WXXL which will yield them being a mediocre rhythmic.

The market's growing black population is already undeserved by having only WCFB, which plays only contemporary and old school R&B and soul music. WJHM could have easily just shifted back to urban-leaning rhythmic as it has been in the past while captured the R&B/hip-hop audience while competing with both Power and XXL and solved their billing issues. Sometimes it best to work smarter than harder by killing 2 birds with one stone, the former is exactly what they are going to have to do with their current musical presentation and they have a serious uphill battle ahead.

WPOW is now chasing rather than leading those Spanish stations. WEDR won by default and the only serious competition was CC's over-syndicated attempt in the mid 00s which failed because of the syndication. You have to ask "does this move make sense?"

only1moore said:
As of June 11, 2012, WPGC/Washington, D.C. is now part of the Rhythmic Top 40 panel.

As I said in the thread in the DC/Baltimore forum, it doesn't change the fact they still lean urban with songs most rhythmics couldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Ironically, several of the the other outlets on the BDS Rhythmic Panel, like WCKX, WDHT, WTMG, KXHT, KUUU, and WZMX to name a few, also lean Urban, so this is nothing new and WPGC will fit right in nicely with these stations.

kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:
As of June 11, 2012, WPGC/Washington, D.C. is now part of the Rhythmic Top 40 panel.

As I said in the thread in the DC/Baltimore forum, it doesn't change the fact they still lean urban with songs most rhythmics couldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

They have Really tweaked recently. They are almost straight up Rhythmic now.

htowler said:
kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:

I listen to WPGC on daily basis, and they still lean very urban for a rhythmic station. They are even playing more urban (particularly R&B) throwbacks versus 3 months ago, so their musical composition is similar to sister station WZMX with the exception of the throwbacks.

kilamanjero said:
htowler said:
kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:

I listen to WPGC on daily basis, and they still lean very urban for a rhythmic station. They are even playing more urban (particularly R&B) throwbacks versus 3 months ago, so their musical composition is similar to sister station WZMX with the exception of the throwbacks.

Seems to be ALOT of Pop/Rhythmic Tracks to me (Random yes.com pull)

CA$H OUT - Cashin' Out
14.7.2012 10:29am

NICKI MINAJ - Starships
14.7.2012 10:39am

DRAKE - Take Care f/Rihanna
14.7.2012 10:44am

DJ KHALED - Take It To The Head
14.7.2012 10:57am

CHRIS BROWN - Look At Me Now
14.7.2012 11:00am

YOUNG JEEZY - Leave You Alone f/Ne-Yo
14.7.2012 11:04am

RIHANNA - Where Have You Been
14.7.2012 11:08am

J. COLE - Nobody's Perfect
14.7.2012 11:12am

JUSTIN BIEBER - Boyfriend
14.7.2012 11:24am

TREY SONGZ - Heart Attack
14.7.2012 11:28am

NICKI MINAJ - Beez In The Trap f/2 Chainz
14.7.2012 11:39am

LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It
14.7.2012 11:43am

RIHANNA - Birthday Cake
14.7.2012 11:46am

TERROR FABULOUS - Action! f/Nadine Sutherland
14.7.2012 11:50am

DRAKE - Crew Love f/The Weeknd
14.7.2012 11:53am

DAVID GUETTA - Without You f/Usher
14.7.2012 11:57am

T-PAIN - Buy U A Drank... f/Yung Joc
14.7.2012 12:01pm

KANYE WEST - Mercy f/Big Sean/Pusha T...
14.7.2012 12:06pm

CHRIS BROWN - Turn Up The Music
14.7.2012 12:10pm

MARSHA AMBROSIUS - Far Away
14.7.2012 12:14pm

14.7.2012 12:19pm

MAROON 5 - Payphone f/Wiz Khalifa
14.7.2012 12:23pm

H-TOWN - Knockin' Da Boots
14.7.2012 12:27pm

CA$H OUT - Cashin' Out
14.7.2012 12:31pm
Buy from: iTunes | Amazon.com

DRAKE - Make Me Proud f/Nicki Minaj
14.7.2012 12:42pm

14.7.2012 12:46pm

RIHANNA - Talk That Talk f/Jay Z
14.7.2012 12:58pm

NE-YO - Miss Independent
14.7.2012 1:02pm

14.7.2012 1:07pm

DJ KHALED - I'm On One f/Drake, Rick Ross
14.7.2012 1:12pm

RIHANNA - Birthday Cake
14.7.2012 1:16pm

14.7.2012 1:27pm

CHRIS BROWN - Don't Wake Me Up
14.7.2012 1:30pm

htowler said:
kilamanjero said:
htowler said:
kilamanjero said:
only1moore said:

Seems to be ALOT of Pop/Rhythmic Tracks to me (Random yes.com pull)

CA$H OUT - Cashin' Out
14.7.2012 10:29am

NICKI MINAJ - Starships
14.7.2012 10:39am

DRAKE - Take Care f/Rihanna
14.7.2012 10:44am

14.7.2012 10:57am

CHRIS BROWN - Look At Me Now
14.7.2012 11:00am

YOUNG JEEZY - Leave You Alone f/Ne-Yo
14.7.2012 11:04am

14.7.2012 11:08am

J. COLE - Nobody's Perfect
14.7.2012 11:12am

14.7.2012 11:24am

14.7.2012 11:28am

NICKI MINAJ - Beez In The Trap f/2 Chainz
14.7.2012 11:39am

LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It
14.7.2012 11:43am

RIHANNA - Birthday Cake
14.7.2012 11:46am

TERROR FABULOUS - Action! f/Nadine Sutherland
14.7.2012 11:50am

DRAKE - Crew Love f/The Weeknd
14.7.2012 11:53am

DAVID GUETTA - Without You f/Usher
14.7.2012 11:57am

T-PAIN - Buy U A Drank... f/Yung Joc
14.7.2012 12:01pm

KANYE WEST - Mercy f/Big Sean/Pusha T...
14.7.2012 12:06pm

CHRIS BROWN - Turn Up The Music
14.7.2012 12:10pm

MARSHA AMBROSIUS - Far Away
14.7.2012 12:14pm

14.7.2012 12:19pm

MAROON 5 - Payphone f/Wiz Khalifa
14.7.2012 12:23pm

H-TOWN - Knockin' Da Boots
14.7.2012 12:27pm

CA$H OUT - Cashin' Out
14.7.2012 12:31pm
Buy from: iTunes | Amazon.com

DRAKE - Make Me Proud f/Nicki Minaj
14.7.2012 12:42pm

14.7.2012 12:46pm

RIHANNA - Talk That Talk f/Jay Z
14.7.2012 12:58pm

NE-YO - Miss Independent
14.7.2012 1:02pm

14.7.2012 1:07pm

DJ KHALED - I'm On One f/Drake, Rick Ross
14.7.2012 1:12pm

RIHANNA - Birthday Cake
14.7.2012 1:16pm

14.7.2012 1:27pm

CHRIS BROWN - Don't Wake Me Up
14.7.2012 1:30pm

And you do know that CBS has a lot of pop being spun on V-103 in Atlanta now as well, but it is still a full-service urban contemporary? As a matter fact, V-103 is currently spinning Rihanna's "We Found Love" and "Where Have You Been?" along Pitbull's "Give You Everything" and Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend" in the past few weeks. All of these aforementioned songs are rhythmic pop songs that most other urban stations wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole aside from mixing.

CBS has been doing this blurring of urban & rhythmic for a while now with WVEE, WPGC, and WZMX. WPGC is still playing 80% urban music that most other urban stations that are on the BDS R&B/hip-hop panel, but decided to switch back to the BDS rhythmic panel to solidify their dedication to challenging Hot 99.5.

Also, I don't know too many rhythmic stations that still air a solid block of slow jams that includes Anita Baker, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass, Luther Vandross, Kem, Jaheim, etc. that would be heard on an UAC on Sunday-Thursday nights. WZMX is the only other one that does emulate this, but they are also owned by CBS. This is nothing new for WPGC, trust me.

WPEG in Charlotte has played Adele and LMFAO. They are designated urban but are pretty much a hybrid mainstream urban/urban AC as they play a LOT of old school and slow jams. It always sounds weird to hear pop on there because it sounds so out of place.

bchristi said:
WPEG in Charlotte has played Adele and LMFAO. They are designated urban but are pretty much a hybrid mainstream urban/urban AC as they play a LOT of old school and slow jams. It always sounds weird to hear pop on there because it sounds so out of place.

WPEG isn't a hybrid of "mainstream urban/urban AC" they're back leaning towards urban contemporary, i.e. "full-service urban" but has to protect UAC sister WBAV by avoiding obsessive overlap. CBS has made what is left of its actual urban stations (WVEE and WPEG) that target 18-34 adults to spin pop songs either in their mixshows or occasionally in their rotation. The fact is CBS knows that hip-hop sucks at the moment, thus they have Power 98FM and V-103 leaning more R&B and old school to keep them afloat in the post-PPM era. In all actuality, that is the only way to survive these days in a PPM metered market is to be as full-service as possible to keep UACs at bay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom