• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Things Which Annoy You

Another site had a very lengthy debate about how we should refer to the years of the 21st century. The majority preferred "Two thousand six" (the "and" is unnecessary) instead of "Twenty-O-six." I've never heard anyone refer to the year 2000 as "Twenty hundred." And if you have 2000 dollars, don't you say "two thousand" and not "twenty hundred"? And did you ever hear the 1968 Stanley Kubrick film advertised as "Twenty-hundred-one: A Space Odyssey"? I rest my case.

I'm tired of news anchors who say that a temperature of 100 degrees is at "the century mark." Sorry, a century is a hundred years, not a measurement of temperature. I'm also tired of baseball announcers who say that a batter is hitting "a buck eighty." Sorry, that refers to money, not to a batting average. I wish they'd say "RBIs" instead of "ribbies." I wish they'd quit saying that a baseball was hit "on the button." Baseballs do not have buttons! And a home run is not a "rope" or "a can of corn." Speak normal English!

Supposedly, before the movie was released, Kubrick pronounced it as 'twenty oh one'...then, they recorded the commercials, and whoever did the voiceover sais 'two thousand and one'...then, everyone in the English-speaking world lost the ability to say that year and subsequent ones any other way...

In the game of cricket, when a player scores 100 runs in a game, it's referred to as a 'century'. That's the one example I know of where the word is not used in the context of time.
'On the button' is an old expression meaning 'dead center' or 'right on target'. 'Rope' and 'can of corn' are just baseball jargon. People get used to it after they've watched a few games.

Found something else that annoyed me, REALLY bad.

A few mornings ago I tuned to KBKS 106.1 (Seattle), with the Bruno Mars song "Treasure" on. Then suddenly, the morning hosts Jackie and Bender *TALK OVER* the last 30 seconds of the song! Bruno was still singing the last chorus of the song and it was taken over by the morning crew. Very disgusting, in my opinion, to talk over a song that's already playing. Also, many stations now are having DJ's talk over the opening instrumental bars of the songs. Once in a blue moon, they will talk over the first line of a song with a contest v/o, etc.

-crainbebo
DJs have been 'talking up' the beginnings of songs since at least the beginning of Top 40 radio. The idea is to say as much as possible during those opening bars, and then shut up JUST in time for the vocals. It's also permissible for the DJ to talk over the final seconds of a song, as long as there are no vocals. The DJs you've described are doing it wrong, and likely need more practice reading the contest info or whatever other station-mandated junk they have to do. Of course, some copywriters haven't figured out how to write something that can fit into that 15 to 30 seconds before the vocals kick in.

If I was a DJ I'd let the music rest! I'd say "sunshine and 80 degrees today at XXXX 94.9, here's XXXXXXX" and THEN do the opening bars. All the contest crap can go to the spot between music and commercials at the end of the music set.

-crainbebo

Next complaint. (Don't stop me---I'm on a roll right now!) I am really tired of hearing the Cavalry charge, the Addams Family theme, the Green Acres theme, and the Day-O chant (from a song about banana pickers!) blasted from the loudspeakers several times during every baseball game. The Cavalry charge is particularly stupid because there are no troops charging over a hill to do battle with the Paiutes or the Japanese---there's a guy standing at home plate, trying to hit a baseball. A trumpet fanfare followed by the yelling of "Charge!" is really ridiculous. (By the way, the last Cavalry charge took place on January 16, 1942; the story is at http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...st-cavalry-charge-by-the-us-army-8557345.html )
What bugs me about 'Charge' at baseball games, the Dodgers had a famous 7-note 'Dodger Charge', played by the stadium organist, which they dropped several years ago in favor of the pre-recorded army cavalry charge. Just not the same. All the other musical 'cues' that are meant to get rhythmic applause started need to die, as well, especially that ridiculous use of 'Day-O'. Another offender is the opening hand-claps from John Fogarty's 'Centerfield'. (I think the clapping may actually pre-date the song, but I'd rather hear teams play the actual recording before the game starts, instead of sticking the fake applause somewhere in the 4th inning.)

The riders of some licensed two wheel vehicles that cruise along the sidewalks and shoulders of sidewalks, beeping frantically and cussing people out for being on an exit ramp, completely inside of the law. But then again, there seems to be a concerted effort to cause havoc with some of those anyway. Just keep yer eyes open.

What is REALLY annoying me now (and has for years) is seeing all the elementary-aged kids playing violent Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty video games. A lot of those kids get into trouble with the law because of those games, and the parents don't give a crap!
I can see kids playing fun computer games that they like, but not GTA with all the nasty words, sex, blood and gore. No wonder it's rated M for Mature!

One more: passing by kids at the store, walking by, etc. who just love to stare at me. Very rude, in my opinion. Same goes with some adults.

-crainbebo

Being forced into political exile. (Long story, don't ask.)

List threads that consist of post after post of line items and have little-to-no real discussion in them.

People who still, after this many years on, insist on using "HD" as a blanket term for "digital television". Look, people, only a minority are actually in HD!

Priggish, condescending jackoff managers who claim they respect and value you as an employee and see no reason why they should get rid of you, yet keep slandering you to other employees behind your back (sometimes not even that far behind your back. The walls do have ears. Loose lips have sunk ships). Hmm, that couldn't possibly be why I quit that toxic job at the store a week ago back, could it? Nahh. Couldn't be. He'd *never* do a thing like that. Oh no.

And I know I've said it in previous lives and I'll say it again since the days are now getting shorter: people who drive at night down poorly-lit roads with only their parking lights on, if that much. Or, lately, I've also seen an increasing number of people in the habit of using only their daytime running lights for whatever reason. I mean really, people?

Last edited:
Cashiers who, when given a large banknote, already have the drawer closed and your change/receipt in hand as you're still trying to get out the rest of your change to make the total, then won't reopen the drawer so you have to carry a bunch of extra coin (dead weight).

POLITICAL discussion threads on RADIO discussion sites.

POLITICAL discussion threads on ANY discussion site not immediately political in nature.

I'm looking for the thread I started several years ago about specificly radio things that annoy me, but I'll post this one in this thread for now. When a station has the logo on a jingle package specially designed for them and then doesn't use their jingles. Looking at you, KIIS. Apparently, WXKS and WHTZ are the same way, but I haven't heard them recently. Once an hour on a specific element isn't enough.

POLITICAL discussion threads on RADIO discussion sites.

POLITICAL discussion threads on ANY discussion site not immediately political in nature.

Joining in on a political discussion started by others, and then getting deleted and/or banned
because either the mods or one of the participants didn't like what I had to say.

I got banned from a very well-known discussion board simply because I posted a link to a YouTube
video of President Obama saying something that they were all denying he had ever said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom