• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No weather channel

I'm in Mexico City on business right now, and one glaring thing I've noticed on TV here is the lack of a weather channel. Televisa's newscasts seem to give only a brief overview of national weather without any depth or local detail. Even XHTVM/40, which has a nightly newscast focused on Mexico City, barely touches weather.

Do Mexicans really not care enough about weather to warrant such a service? I would think in the case of hurricanes this would be very beneficial. I would think it would not cost a lot to have a text-based weather service on cable and satellite that provides the detail that the main TV networks don't.

M.J. said:
Do Mexicans really not care enough about weather to warrant such a service? I would think in the case of hurricanes this would be very beneficial. I would think it would not cost a lot to have a text-based weather service on cable and satellite that provides the detail that the main TV networks don't.

Keep in mind that stations in the tropics have very little variation in the weather. To give an example in a market at a somewhat similar latitude to Mexico City: San Juan, USA. You have a temperature range that does not change by much more than +/- 5 degrees and it rains somewhere in the metro every day, except a few summer months when it does not rain much. By the time you are 6 or 7, you know this. There is no need for the weather, and the occasional extreme event is handled as a news item.

This same situation exists in the Caribbean, Central America and most of South America. I never did weather in San Juan or several places in Mexico or in Ecuador or Santo Domingo or Lima or or Bogotá or Bucaramanga or Buenos Aires or Guatemala City or any of the other Latin American markets I've programmed in

There was a weather channel on the local Merida, Yucatan cable system when I was there in March 2011. It looked professional, but was a somewhat dinky little operation, with three songs from the '80s on loop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom