• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

U.S.V.I/B.V.I. radio

Xkrusdx

Frequent Participant
I'm headed to St. john, USVI in a few weeks. Checking radio-locator.com, it looks like a lot of their listings are outdated, as are most of the station websites. I'm wondering in anyone had an up-to-date list of the station available on the USVI/BVI's as well as any stations available from Puerto Rico as well? Also, is Sirus/Xm available down there?

Thanks in advance!

cd637299 said:
www.caribbean-radio.com & www.radiostationworld.com are pretty good----the former for USVI/BVI, the latter for PR.

The PR lists in radiostationworld are about 75% correct for PR as to format. The AM part is close to useless. In both cases, stations are misidentified as to market and many place names are ridiculously misspelled.

The radiostationworld section on Spanish language formats is so wrong as to be amusing if not out-loud-laughable. Totally clueless and absurdly mistaken.

DavidEduardo said:
cd637299 said:
www.caribbean-radio.com & www.radiostationworld.com are pretty good----the former for USVI/BVI, the latter for PR.

The PR lists in radiostationworld are about 75% correct for PR as to format. The AM part is close to useless. In both cases, stations are misidentified as to market and many place names are ridiculously misspelled.

The radiostationworld section on Spanish language formats is so wrong as to be amusing if not out-loud-laughable. Totally clueless and absurdly mistaken.

What do you suggest for a better site then? I've contacted that r.s.w. guy a couple of times....I am sure he'll take any info out there.

cd

This website has most VI stations and their streams.

http://www.caribbean-radio.com/

You'll get sick of the local music in about 15 min. 104.9 plays oldies-not bad. The biggest problem we see driving around St John is because of the terrain, you'll have a clear FM sation from St Thomas, go a mile down the road into a valley and it's gone.

We rented a villa with WIFI last year and had an IPAD--streamed all week.

As far as XM goes, I have head that if you are up on a hill and have no obstructions, you can get it. Driving around--not a chance! Enjoy the cheap rum!

cd637299 said:
DavidEduardo said:
cd637299 said:

What do you suggest for a better site then? I've contacted that r.s.w. guy a couple of times....I am sure he'll take any info out there.

cd

The best info on PR would be the station directory in the Arbitron book, which you can assemble online at the Arbitron site by looking at the topline survey info and then the SIP data for each station as to format and slogan. Time consuming, but accurate.

Just wait til you get to your hotel room, sit by a window, have a clipboard and a pen ready, extend the FM antenna, choose your band, and start tuning.

ai4i said:
Just wait til you get to your hotel room, sit by a window, have a clipboard and a pen ready, extend the FM antenna, choose your band, and start tuning.

Well I myself have been to St. Croix, and the best DX would be had at Point Udall, which is the easternmost point of any US possession in the W Hemisphere. I bought a small TV antenna (for TV *and* FM) and one 5' pole, took my rental car there, and had at it! That was 2004.

Liked the fact I caught both Montserrat & Anguilla on 95.5. :)

cd

Speaking of the Virgin Islands, can you get Radio and TV stations from the British Virgin Islands into the USVI?

e-dawg said:
Speaking of the Virgin Islands, can you get Radio and TV stations from the British Virgin Islands into the USVI?

In the 80's Alvin Korngold, who had Spanish language stations in AZ and NM, built a group (three or four) high power FMs with 100 KW and directional antennae to serve St Thomas. They were quite listenable around Charlotte Amalie but did not cover St Croix at all well.

As the USVI became overpopulated with FMs, the BVI stations ceased trying to serve that market. The USVI has got to be an even worse radio market than the Florida Keys.

^ As long as the DXing is good, there's no such thing as a "bad market"....but I catch your drift, DE.

I missed that post 2 above this one....there is at least one FM station in the BVI that can be heard in the USVI, but it battles a PR station hard, I believe: ZVCR 106.9. (I heard "La Mega 106.9" PR here in FL last week! Directional city, I assume!)

I also caught 2 of the 3 Korngold stations from here, prior to their shutdown: 91.7 "Zee-Gold" (satellite oldies) & 94.3 "the Heat" (hot AC). They were the only stations running 100kW in the Caribbean outside of the grandpa 91.3 San Juan, I believe.

EDIT: Almost forgot...I learned last week that there is a TV station in the BVI on channel 5; I contacted them and was able to get a reply. They told me that they are only on cable at this time, though. I kinda thought that they were the old ZBTV rising up....

cd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom