U.S.V.I/B.V.I. radio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S.V.I/B.V.I. radio

U.S.V.I/B.V.I. radio

I'm headed to St. john, USVI in a few weeks. Checking radio-locator.com, it looks like a lot of their listings are outdated, as are most of the station websites. I'm wondering in anyone had an up-to-date list of the station available on the USVI/BVI's as well as any stations available from Puerto Rico as well? Also, is Sirus/Xm available down there?

Thanks in advance!

cd637299

Re: U.S.V.I/B.V.I. radio

www.caribbean-radio.com & www.radiostationworld.com are pretty good----the former for USVI/BVI, the latter for PR.

Could you PM me please?

cd

Moderator/Assistant Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299
    www.caribbean-radio.com & www.radiostationworld.com are pretty good----the former for USVI/BVI, the latter for PR.
    The PR lists in radiostationworld are about 75% correct for PR as to format. The AM part is close to useless. In both cases, stations are misidentified as to market and many place names are ridiculously misspelled.

The radiostationworld section on Spanish language formats is so wrong as to be amusing if not out-loud-laughable. Totally clueless and absurdly mistaken.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

cd637299

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    The PR lists in radiostationworld are about 75% correct for PR as to format. The AM part is close to useless. In both cases, stations are misidentified as to market and many place names are ridiculously misspelled.

The radiostationworld section on Spanish language formats is so wrong as to be amusing if not out-loud-laughable. Totally clueless and absurdly mistaken.
    What do you suggest for a better site then? I've contacted that r.s.w. guy a couple of times....I am sure he'll take any info out there.

cd

This website has most VI stations and their streams.

http://www.caribbean-radio.com/

You'll get sick of the local music in about 15 min. 104.9 plays oldies-not bad. The biggest problem we see driving around St John is because of the terrain, you'll have a clear FM sation from St Thomas, go a mile down the road into a valley and it's gone.

We rented a villa with WIFI last year and had an IPAD--streamed all week.

As far as XM goes, I have head that if you are up on a hill and have no obstructions, you can get it. Driving around--not a chance! Enjoy the cheap rum!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo

What do you suggest for a better site then? I've contacted that r.s.w. guy a couple of times....I am sure he'll take any info out there.

cd
    The best info on PR would be the station directory in the Arbitron book, which you can assemble online at the Arbitron site by looking at the topline survey info and then the SIP data for each station as to format and slogan. Time consuming, but accurate.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Just wait til you get to your hotel room, sit by a window, have a clipboard and a pen ready, extend the FM antenna, choose your band, and start tuning.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

cd637299

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i
    Just wait til you get to your hotel room, sit by a window, have a clipboard and a pen ready, extend the FM antenna, choose your band, and start tuning.
    Well I myself have been to St. Croix, and the best DX would be had at Point Udall, which is the easternmost point of any US possession in the W Hemisphere. I bought a small TV antenna (for TV *and* FM) and one 5' pole, took my rental car there, and had at it! That was 2004.

Liked the fact I caught both Montserrat & Anguilla on 95.5.

cd

Speaking of the Virgin Islands, can you get Radio and TV stations from the British Virgin Islands into the USVI?

Quote Originally Posted by e-dawg
    Speaking of the Virgin Islands, can you get Radio and TV stations from the British Virgin Islands into the USVI?
    In the 80's Alvin Korngold, who had Spanish language stations in AZ and NM, built a group (three or four) high power FMs with 100 KW and directional antennae to serve St Thomas. They were quite listenable around Charlotte Amalie but did not cover St Croix at all well.

As the USVI became overpopulated with FMs, the BVI stations ceased trying to serve that market. The USVI has got to be an even worse radio market than the Florida Keys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast