• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Hot AC shifting away from 80's and 90's

Dave said:
gamefreak said:
The 90's is a little different. A variety of Hot AC's in the area play a limited 90's selection. WMTX comes in mind in the fact that it would occasionaly play a Counting Crows or Alanis Morrisette song.
WTMX plays few 90's songs, and now, even fewer 80's songs. I noticed more current songs & most songs being from the last 5 years. WTMX's sister station WILV is focused more on 80's & recently, more 90's music. They however haven't dropped the 70's or the 2000's songs completely. WILV seems to almost be considered to me, Gold Hot AC (if the term were to exist). WTMX & WILV's other sister station, WDRV/WWDV simulcast (known as the Drive) has played a 90's song here & there for their Classic Hits format. So for Hubbard Broadcasting (former Bonneville stations in Chicago), they're simply moving most 80's & 90's music over to sister stations. They however don't want to eliminate the 80's & 90's completely from WTMX, since it's the highest billing station in the cluster, with The Drive being the next highest biller. WILV always being the flanker. At least WILV isn't overlapping as much with WTMX, as it did when it was WNND. As WNND, they were 80's & 90's only for about 2 years with a poor playlist, in order to protect WTMX, & that intentional poor playlist was meant to not compete with sister station WTMX (the ratings showed it too).

Well here in Tampa Cox dumped the 80's and 90's Adult Hits format on one of its stations and didn't bother to move the playlist over to the sister Classic Hits station. (Really Classic Rock) Even though the Classic Hits already played some 80's. Cox may have moved a few songs over and that is it, "Hard to Handle" by Black Crowes and a few Van Halen tracks. I'll give them credit though, they did move some songs over to the sister AC station. I still feel this music has a market. Just look at all the popular "Jack FM" stations out there. The 80's and 90's are a huge part of the Adult Hits format.

People out there with money do like stations that mix "Blasphemus Rumors" by Depeche Mode, mixed with "Paridise" by Coldplay, followed by "Women" by John Lennon. I know the last ones from the 70's but you get my point.

It's from the "Double Fantasy" album, released just before John Lennon died. "Woman" is the second single, coming out in 1981.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom