• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNX, KCBS and KTWV: speculation

Lkeller said:
KTN Corp said:
lauu said:
Why would anybody in their right mind want to give up a historic 3 letter call sign?  Bringing back KNX-FM and KNXT-TV would be a better choice.

3-letter callsigns are like W's west of the Mississippi, exceptions that take a long time to fix (if ever) especially in the city that embraces modernity.  I'm sure you'll love WFAA-TV in Dallas and why not bring back WBAP-FM and WBAP-TV to Fort Worth too?

It makes the network affiliation clear to the viewer/listener in that market.  KNXT marks the dark ages of Los Angeles being split with San Francisco as the center of the West, which New York passed Philadelphia a century before radio's infancy.

WCBS, WCBS-FM, WCBS-TV New York - East Coast flagship stations
KCBS, KCBS-FM, KCBS-TV Los Angeles - West Coast flagship stations

Clear enough?

Yes - clear and logical, but I think this was the likely sequence of events:

The KCBS-FM call letters left San Francisco in 1982, when it became KRQR ("The Rocker"). "CBS-FM 97" had piss-poor ratings and the folks programming it reportedly thought the association with CBS would actually hurt ratings in the move to their new album rock format.  I don't know when the calls went to the former KNX-FM, though.  CBS may have just sat on them until:

KNXT became KCBS-TV in 1984.  I figure the logic of the CBS suits in that year was:  both KNX 1070 and KCBS 740 in San Francisco have good ratings, so why fix what ain't broke- and confuse listeners in both markets by bringing the KCBS call letters to 1070.

In the 60s, when KRCA (Channel 4) became KNBC, the FCC reportedly had a rule that didn't allow broadcasters to split up call letters between separate markets.  So in that case, KNBC radio San Francisco became KNBR.

Also why keep your flagship station call letters on a directional Class B (KCBS/KQW) station instead of the omnidirectional Class A (KNX) clear channel station that you also own in what is now the largest city/metro and media market on that side of the country?

Plus those call letters are mentioned at the top of the hour, so most listeners don't care (except for DXers!).

Call letters acquire value as a brand name for a station. I can't believe, after 40 years of building up the market value of the KMPC letters, the millions of dollars worth of customer/listener support and familiarity, nobody is using them with on a market that would respond to them for their historic familiarity. "KRLA" got picked up fast. The KNX letters go back so long in LA radio history, there is so much customer good will built up in the letters that dumping them would be a lot like Coke or Ford or Kleenex dumping their product names and starting over with something fresh and snappy. To me, ESPN would have been way ahead to have kept the KMPC letters and called itself KMPC, your station for ESPN in Los Angeles. I suppose they had their reasons. But customer familiarity and brand loyalty do have actual value and it can apply in call letters just like it does in brand names like Coke.

KTN Corp said:
Lkeller said:
KTN Corp said:
lauu said:
Why would anybody in their right mind want to give up a historic 3 letter call sign? Bringing back KNX-FM and KNXT-TV would be a better choice.

3-letter callsigns are like W's west of the Mississippi, exceptions that take a long time to fix (if ever) especially in the city that embraces modernity. I'm sure you'll love WFAA-TV in Dallas and why not bring back WBAP-FM and WBAP-TV to Fort Worth too?

It makes the network affiliation clear to the viewer/listener in that market. KNXT marks the dark ages of Los Angeles being split with San Francisco as the center of the West, which New York passed Philadelphia a century before radio's infancy.

WCBS, WCBS-FM, WCBS-TV New York - East Coast flagship stations
KCBS, KCBS-FM, KCBS-TV Los Angeles - West Coast flagship stations

Clear enough?

Yes - clear and logical, but I think this was the likely sequence of events:

The KCBS-FM call letters left San Francisco in 1982, when it became KRQR ("The Rocker"). "CBS-FM 97" had piss-poor ratings and the folks programming it reportedly thought the association with CBS would actually hurt ratings in the move to their new album rock format. I don't know when the calls went to the former KNX-FM, though. CBS may have just sat on them until:

KNXT became KCBS-TV in 1984. I figure the logic of the CBS suits in that year was: both KNX 1070 and KCBS 740 in San Francisco have good ratings, so why fix what ain't broke- and confuse listeners in both markets by bringing the KCBS call letters to 1070.

In the 60s, when KRCA (Channel 4) became KNBC, the FCC reportedly had a rule that didn't allow broadcasters to split up call letters between separate markets. So in that case, KNBC radio San Francisco became KNBR.

Also why keep your flagship station call letters on a directional Class B (KCBS/KQW) station instead of the omnidirectional Class A (KNX) clear channel station that you also own in what is now the largest city/metro and media market on that side of the country?

Plus those call letters are mentioned at the top of the hour, so most listeners don't care (except for DXers!).

Look KCBS is in SFO because its been in the top 3 PPM/Arbitron rated stationin the bay area for decades.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom