• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KABC FM? KLOS staff out the door?

What if Cumulus took a page from the CC playbook and flipped KABC to Active Rock? Hit CBS high and low. Would an AM rocker be able to take enough from KROQ and Jack to make a difference?

Streaming to smart phones would be stereo. Cali's live in their cars, would enough of them take the 30 seconds of time necessary to fire up the stream in their cars?

Truth is, KLOS has been underperforming for years. KLOS and the format can be vital again. Having it's own PD would be a smart way to start the healing.

lp said:
What if Cumulus took a page from the CC playbook and flipped KABC to Active Rock? Hit CBS high and low. Would an AM rocker be able to take enough from KROQ and Jack to make a difference?

Streaming to smart phones would be stereo. Cali's live in their cars, would enough of them take the 30 seconds of time necessary to fire up the stream in their cars?

Active rock in Los Angeles in the age of PPM will never happen. As has been pointed out many times, LA has the wrong demographics for active rock, and on top of that, the psychographics are all wrong. Thats why alternative works better here than in some markets, and why we can support two full time alternative stations and an alternative leaning classic hits station like KCBS.

Someone actually suggested putting an Active Rock music station...designed to attract young people who have NEVER listened to AM in their lives...on the AM band. Now I've heard everything. Brilliant. Almost as brilliant as thinking that moving a ratings-challenged format with the largest cell of listening 55+ to the FM band is going to save the 55+ format, despite killing off the format that bills double what the 55+ format billed. Sorry folks...radio is a business, and these kinds of business decisions don't get made by people trying to grow their business.

Shoot From Hip said:
Someone actually suggested putting an Active Rock music station...designed to attract young people who have NEVER listened to AM in their lives...on the AM band. Now I've heard everything. Brilliant.

Jeepers, formats are age restricted?

The high end of the Metallica, Pantera, AC/DC, and by extension, A7X, FFDP and Chevelle demo is turning 50.

lp said:

Wait till cops start abusing the CA cell-phone law!--"But officer, I was only streaming from my phone."  There goes streaming opportunities.

It would be nice to see KABC-FM again. I'm looking forward to the KABC, KABC-FM, KABC-TV cluster to appear again.

KTN Corp said:
lp said:

Wait till cops start abusing the CA cell-phone law!--"But officer, I was only streaming from my phone." There goes streaming opportunities.

It would be nice to see KABC-FM again. I'm looking forward to the KABC, KABC-FM, KABC-TV cluster to appear again.

I think Cheap Trick is coming out with a new song.... "The Stream Police"

All kidding aside (darn) I seriously doubt a driver would be nailed for using their cell phone to stream radio UNLESS they had to change something on the cell phone stream which would result in a distraction.

emailfailed said:
It seems just about everybody on this board agrees that KABC's signal is a major handicap for 790 to regain the ratings and prestige of its glory days.

So, moving it to 95.5 or boosting the current AM signal could solve that.

However, when you think about the signal it's really an issue of quantity versus quality,

Moving KABC to 95.5 or boosting 790's signal will give it the quantity it needs to cover Southern California, but will the new signal be fill with quality, compelling and "stimulating" talk radio programming, or will KABC's new signal just be more of the same canned talked that has kept listeners away from KABC.

Surely if KABC were to appear on 95.5 (which I highly doubt will happen) there would be a ratings bump, but if it's more of the same who is going to keep listening?

For that matter would Clear Channel even bother flipping one of their FM's to KFI-FM?

Checking First through Third adjacent signals in California and Mexico brings up some interesting data:

KFMB 760 San Diego -- 5KW day, 50KW night

KCBC 770 Manteca -- 50KW day, 4.1KW night

KABC 790 Los Angeles -- 5KW day, 5KW night

KEJY 790 Eureka -- 5KW day, 0.11 KW night

KFPT 790 Clovis -- 5KW day, 2.5 KW night

KBFP 900 Bakersfield -- 1KW day, 0.44 KW night

KGO 810 San Francisco -- 50KW day and night

XEIC 810 Campeche, Mexico -- .3 KW day and night

It may just be cheaper to simulcast the AM on FM instead of messing with expensive signal studies.

OCradiodude said:
Checking First through Third adjacent signals in California and Mexico brings up some interesting data:

KFMB 760 San Diego -- 5KW day, 50KW night

KCBC 770 Manteca -- 50KW day, 4.1KW night

KABC 790 Los Angeles -- 5KW day, 5KW night

KEJY 790 Eureka -- 5KW day, 0.11 KW night

KFPT 790 Clovis -- 5KW day, 2.5 KW night

KBFP 900 Bakersfield -- 1KW day, 0.44 KW night

KGO 810 San Francisco -- 50KW day and night

XEIC 810 Campeche, Mexico -- .3 KW day and night

It may just be cheaper to simulcast the AM on FM instead of messing with expensive signal studies.

First, Campeche is about as far away as Miami... the closest Mexican station is Mexicali, a daytimer.

I am fairly confident that KABC could increase power a lot by going to the eastern side of the market and shooting power over the basin, as KTNQ did... or as KCAA did to get a signal over much more of LA than before.

But... is it worth spending perhaps $5 million to build when zoning and engineering might take about two to three years to build... and what you get is still an AM in LA?

1) Ya'll forget that Silver man transformed then classic rocker KLSX (97.1) into a hot talker and ran it (into the ground) for over a decade!

2) Where's your proof that KLOS bills double KABC!!? Classic rock a dying format, so it makes sense to go the FM route and grow the talk-news product ... and yes, steal some of the current KFI ratings bonanza pie.

3) Plus, going FM might lure Jon & Ken to pm drive and blow out the God awful, boring & droll Larry "Eldorado" Elders! Also, by blowing out KLOS staff, Silver man can pay their six-figure salaries! (Would be ironic if Terri-Rae Elmer glue were paired up with them again!).

Bug on the rug said:
Ya'll forget that Silver man transformed then classic rocker KLSX (97.1) into a hot talker and ran it (into the ground) for over a decade!

Until about 2006, KLSX was among the three or four highest billing station in LA... In 2007, the billing fell of by a third, and then the recession capped it. In 2005. KLSX billed two and a half times what AMP did in 2010. That is hardly "running it into the ground."

Where's your proof that KLOS bills double KABC!!? Classic rock a dying format, so it makes sense to go the FM route and grow the talk-news product ... and yes, steal some of the current KFI ratings bonanza pie.

In 2010 KLOS billed about 60% more than KABC. In 2011, the difference was even greater.

Plus, going FM might lure Jon & Ken to pm drive and blow out the God awful, boring & droll Larry "Eldorado" Elders! Also, by blowing out KLOS staff, Silver man can pay their six-figure salaries! (Would be ironic if Terri-Rae Elmer glue were paired up with them again!).

That is about as unlikely as the proverbial flying pig. Or, in the case of KLOS, a flying roach.

Even though KFI people complain about "low pay" .. I wonder if someone is going to "outbid" KFI for people like John and Ken. After cuttting costs at KGO, would they dump a bunch of money on KABC?

MC said:
Even though KFI people complain about "low pay" ..

What people at KFI are complaining of low pay?

I ran across an old google real estate listing which showed several pictures of John Kobylt's 2.85 million dollar home in Beverly Hills. His home made many of the "Housewives of Beverly Hills" homes seem modest and lets not even mention the Persian Palace.

I've been listening to KGO a lot over the last week, and considering they have nothing to lose at this point, I wonder if KABC addopted a similar programming approach to KGO, whether it would work. It may not scale the heights that KFI does, but it could be more localized station than KFI, and focus on more local issues than KNX.

Lee Anderson said:
I've been listening to KGO a lot over the last week, and considering they have nothing to lose at this point, I wonder if KABC addopted a similar programming approach to KGO, whether it would work. It may not scale the heights that KFI does, but it could be more localized station than KFI, and focus on more local issues than KNX.

Getting Newt Gingrich to vote for Obama would be easier than getting Larry Elder to talk about local issues.

westfield60 said:
Lee Anderson said:

Getting Newt Gingrich to vote for Obama would be easier than getting Larry Elder to talk about local issues.

So find someone who will. Better still, find a staff who will appeal to a younger audience.

Lee Anderson said:

... but KGO is essentially a news station with one talk show left. LA had two news stations, and both averaged under a 2 share, and even less in 25-54. The real issue, as other folks have mentioned, is why all news does less well in Sunbelt markets.

And I can't think of how either KFI (4 out of 5 non-overnight shows are local) or KFI (All the local news and weather and traffic you could want without being irrelevant) can be more local.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom