• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best production mics for 2012?

jefflaurence

Star Participant
Okay now..time to start a new year and a new search for the best mics still in production FOR production. What are you guys liking? Who's making a really great sleeper microphone? What's a secret weapon mic you like (but don't give away any secrets).

I have found a few interesting offerings currently being made, and some that are dirt cheap and are a real surprise!

I am still a huge fan of my collection of Sennheiser shotgun mics for VoiceOver, but there are some neat mics being made now that offer a lot for a little.

C'mon what ya got?

I still really like the Rode NTG-3. Some people call it the poor man's 416. Similar response, but slightly more neutral and slightly wider pattern. It's almost like a 416 that had a large diaphragm condenser as a grandparent.

Also dig the Manley Reference and Mojave MA-201.

Origin is partially US, partially Asia. Sweetwater does allow for returns on mics, as long as you're careful. Miktek C7 is also worth a look. The Miktek sound makes some nods to the older u87 sound, while the Mojave has the essence of a FET47. Both good values.

I had a Rode NTG3. Really liked it except due to it's wider pattern, and a very noisy production studio, it picked up a lot of ambient noise that was tough to gate out/reduce. Had it over a year. I think it also has slight more low end than the black 416.

On the subject of Rode mics, has anyone tried a Rode Podcaster? I hear mixed reviews.

It's okay. I'm not a big fan of any USB powered mics. You're asking an awful lot of a small package. It needs to have a built-in preamp cirucit, power supply and AD converter.

The Procaster is a little better, if a dynamic is what you're after. I thought about getting one, but I have a few dynamics that I already don't use. I don't really need more.

I do have the NT-1000, as well as the NTG-3 and I think Rode offers a lot for the money.

Emmett

Emmett said:
I think Rode offers a lot for the money.

Emmett

Agreed. I have a Rode NTK that I prefer to the Neumann TLM103, and once I upgraded the tube it sounded even better. I think you can find the NTK used for around $400 or so, fantastic value.

river radio ranch said:
The MXL 990 condenser mic has recently been brought to my attention out here....anyone have experience/insight to share?

IMO, it's priced where it should be. It sounds like a $50 Chinese condenser.

Emmett

river radio ranch said:
The MXL 990 condenser mic has recently been brought to my attention out here....anyone have experience/insight to share?

Bought one a few years ago on a lark. It was the kit that comes with the MXL 991. The 990 is a pretty surprising mic. I've been using it for VO imaging and have had no complaints.
The "S's" sound a little prominent at times, but overall not a bad mic. You can pick one up online for $60 with the shockmount. I do recommend the shockmount. I also use an AKG C3000 and it's very close in sound to the MXL. I recently picked up a used AKG C5600. It has C414 guts in a tougher casing to stand up to harsher use like on stage. It's a bit brighter than the C3000 and MXL 990. I would love a Sennheiser MKH-416, but they're just out of my price range at the moment.

These microphone discussions always amuse me.

I am convinced that it take something in addition to a great voice to be a successful v-o artist that some of you folks are. It takes good ears!

When I was considerably younger and spending my workday at the radio station, I would some time take advantage of an hour we were scheduled to "ride the network" and go into the production room and line up every mic in the building and plug each of them in one at a time as the tape recorder ran. I heard (thought I heard) amazing, startling differences between the mics. (I wasn't really good and deciding which one sounded the best... they just sounded different.) So I would get a fellow announcer to come and listen to the tape and get their opinion on the differences. They would look at me and say... with a puzzled look... WHAT DIFFERENCE.

Assumption #1 in the GRC handbook: We are much more sensitive to changes in our own voice than in other peoples voices.

Assumption #2: Many of us are not capable of seeing what we are doing right and wrong. We need an external opinion sometimes. (Great V-O people seem to have and ability of "seeing" their own voice.)

Assumption #3: Many of us who once could hear better, today don't hear so well. Within the last couple of years I have tried lining up multiple mics to do a comparison recording and I don't hear nearly as much difference between mics as I used to.

Some of you guys describe your own voices and the voices of others line a wine expert writing a magazine article about the subtle qualities of fine wines. ;D

I get this little surprise on screen every two or three weeks. I once made a comment about microphones and our fellow participant in these forums, PELL MELL has made my observation a tag-line on every one of his posts. Find one of his posts and read across the bottom. Actually, I have a little bit more ego about my voice than the quote, but I also recognize it may be closer to the truth than I want to admit.

P.S. Jeff Laurence: If they ship that Mojave out for you to try out... I would love to saddle up and ride across the mountain to your place and oooooh and aaaaaah over the thing. Maybe even my tired old ears could appreciate the difference in that one.

GRC

Subtle, yes. Just like fine wine. They'll all get you drunk. I won two awards from spots recorded on an MXL990. Hate the mic, but it did the job. If I cut the same spot from the studio I have now, I think most people would hear the difference and prefer the current, but that doesn't mean the original wasn't effective. It's not just about the sound of the dry read, but also how well it mixes. Those differences are subtle, as well, but important. I believe my clients deserve the best I can give them. They keep paying and I will keep making improvements. I also just enjoy it for myself.

Wow..the mxl960 is like..60 bucks including shipping? Amazing. As I have mentioned before..the MXL 960 tube condenser is an absolute stone steal..especially with a nice NOS Mullard or Telefunken tube..it is a great big beefy mic for under 200 beans.

A similar secret cheapie..AT2035 is really amazing..I can bring it someplace, use it and if I forget and leave it in a Comfort Inn...(like I did with a considerably more pricey German mic..gulp) I'm out around 100 bucks..which sucks, but nowhere near as hard as losing that Kraut mic..heartbreaking.

Closed circuit to GRC: I am gonna order one of those. I'll let you know when it flies in, and I'll meet you at the caboose studio in Franklin for a test drive and a really good cup of coffee.

Eh..sorry for starting this..but it's always fun to see who's using, and liking what..

Jeff Laurence said:
Wow..the mxl960 is like..60 bucks including shipping? Amazing. As I have mentioned before..the MXL 960 tube condenser is an absolute stone steal..especially with a nice NOS Mullard or Telefunken tube..it is a great big beefy mic for under 200 beans.

I'll second the 960 recommendation. Of course, Jeff turned me on to it... :)

Jeff Laurence said:
Of course the 60 buck mic is the 990 not the 960..sorry for the typo

OOOPs! The 960 is OK. Pretty good for $70.00 but not in the same league as the 960...

I've used EV mics, AT's, even Groove Tube and Sterling Audio (Groove Tube design from Guitar Center), but a mic I've used recently is the Blue Spark. A little thin on the mids and above, but can be slightly EQ'd out. They even have a limited edition of the mic that isn't that crazy orange color, in case you are into that (actually blue for the limited edition). Not a bad mic for 200 bucks, and also not a bad price for a mic of this quality. Nice wood case too. Do need phantom power, as it is a condenser mic.

Next mic may be a Rode Broadcaster (not Podcaster). Anybody have experience with this mic? Price is roughly the same as the EV RE20, but sure it has some different qualities.

The broadcaster is a Rode NT1-A, built into an end-address case and with a 5-pin XLR, so you can control the little red LED. Sounds like an NT1-A.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom