• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Please Explain The Logic to "No Soft Music on AC Anymore"

Kent T said:
In some markets, if you take the soft songs out of a playlist, there goes your work listeners in many offices. Example, Knoxville and WJXB B 97.5.
Are you saying WJXB is no longer playing soft songs?

Cox seems to think old school soft ac stations in Florida run with only one jock must be moneymakers. WDUV has been unchanged for over 10 years. They mostly play the stuff that soft ac played back in the Eighties. Except for no jocks and no jingles, they could be WEZS in Richmond or WQSF Williamsburg VA from 30 years ago

vchimpanzee said:
Kent T said:
In some markets, if you take the soft songs out of a playlist, there goes your work listeners in many offices. Example, Knoxville and WJXB B 97.5.

The definition of Soft is very different in 2012 than 10 years ago.

Seltzer said:
vchimpanzee said:
Kent T said:

The definition of Soft is very different in 2012 than 10 years ago.
Not to me. I'm not interested in any definition of what soft is in 2012. I just want an answer on how WJXB compares to how it was, or other ACs. What "soft" songs are you taking out only to lose office listeners?

Well, you make a joke but what is your answer to the question?

So why did our parents, grandparents and great grandparents go from whatever was trendy in their youth (Disco, Elvis, Sinatra, Bing Crosby) to eventually supporting Easy Listening, Smooth Jazz and Classical formats that might challenge them and expand their musical horizons? But this generation won't? How could NYC, Chicago and San Francisco support TWO commercial classical stations, and other markets from LA to Miami to Kansas City could support one, for decades and decades, but they're all gone now?

What's different about THIS generation? Maybe it is a form of ADD. Maybe this generation won't put in the time to learn and appreciate Classical or Jazz or other Adult music forms, as past generations did?

I wonder about the music appreciation theory too.

Well, you make a joke but what is your answer to the question?

So why did our parents, grandparents and great grandparents go from whatever was trendy in their youth (Disco, Elvis, Sinatra, Bing Crosby) to eventually supporting Easy Listening, Smooth Jazz and Classical formats that might challenge them and expand their musical horizons? But this generation won't? How could NYC, Chicago and San Francisco support TWO commercial classical stations, and other markets from LA to Miami to Kansas City could support one, for decades and decades, but they're all gone now?

What's different about THIS generation? Maybe it is a form of ADD. Maybe this generation won't put in the time to learn and appreciate Classical or Jazz or other Adult music forms, as past generations did?

My music tastes expanded over the years as family and friends introduced me to a variety of music.

Actually the trend of *any* music on the radio is to be removed, as more and more folk listen online, or download their music. So all this may be a moot point in the future. <shrug>

I read recently that streaming is becoming more popular than downloading.

Even IF AC's were 'soft', how much new material is there that fits that bill? Not much.

I blame that on the labels too often pushing looks over talent. When I look at a list of today's Grammy nominees, the thing that strikes me is that there are a lot of caricatures up for awards. Trying to sing is only part of their shtick - being outrageous (in either appearance or performance - or both) seems to be the thing they are selling.

Last edited:
I blame that on the labels too often pushing looks over talent. When I look at a list of today's Grammy nominees, the thing that strikes me is that there are a lot of caricatures up for awards. Trying to sing is only part of their shtick - being outrageous (in either appearance or performance - or both) seems to be the thing they are selling.

You've got to be kidding! At Motown in the 1960's they hired coaches to teach the artists the finer points of grooming, wardrobe, and "charm". The label behind the Mamas and the Papas pushed cute-as-a-button Michelle to the front and Cass Elliott to the rear. The fat girls, no matter how great they could sing, always ended up doing anonymous session work. In the 70's, the Runaways were as outrageous for the time as any of today's pop-tarts. In the 80's, Pat Benatar sued her label for retouching off the shoulder straps of a top to make her look topless. Madonna and Cyndi Lauper spent the early 70's in a constant game of outrageousness one upmanship, until Lauper gave up. At the height of the MTV era, Nancy Wilson's breasts took center stage over her fat sister's voice.

I won't deny that looks are pushed over musical talent, but that is nothing at all new.

Every time I see Gaga (or Gag-gag as I call her), Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, etc. performing on TV they look like circus acts to me. LOL! Many of them can't sing well live without their auto-tune crutch. Their songs may be catchy but I prefer more depth and meaningful lyrics. Of today's artists, people like Adele appeal to me.

Last edited:
Every time I see Gaga (or Gag-gag as I call her), Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, etc. performing on TV they look like circus acts to me. LOL! Many of them can't sing well live without their auto-tune crutch. Their songs may be catchy but I prefer more depth and meaningful lyrics. Of today's artists, people like Adele appeal to me.

Then you apparently never watched any of the old videos back in the early days of MTV. And, apparently when it comes to singers who simply sing, you also blame them for the work of their writers, the TV show's director, their costume designers, and the rest of the huge support team that handles all aspects of their shows. Katy Perry is the only one of the bunch who writes not only her own material, but also songs for other performers.

Pop music has always had lighter, less deep lyrics than other genres of music, going back to the old "moon, spoon, June" days of the Brill Building and Tin Pan Alley.

Then you apparently never watched any of the old videos back in the early days of MTV.

I'm a 90s child and was more into VH1. Loved a lot of the series they had on at the time: Storytellers, Behind The Music, Legends, Divas.

I've always tended to be rather conservative about music choices. There are certain thematic elements (foul language, suggestive lyrics) that don't appeal to me. However, I certainly don't think it should be censored.

Last edited:
I'm a 90s child and was more into VH1. Loved a lot of the series they had on at the time: Storytellers, Behind The Music, Legends, Divas.

That doesn't mean that the things that transpired before aren't real.

Parade magazine, which comes with a lot of Sunday papers including The Charlotte Observer which I have home delivered, had Lady Gaga on the cover (looking normal) with Tony Bennett and an article about their album of duets. So she CAN sing. And she likes that kind of music. One of the songs on the album is a solo performance by her. It'll be interesting to see if mainstream AC is willing to play that song or any of them. I think it's a safe bet standards radio will play songs from that album.

Bennett is a good friend of Lady Gaga and even encouraged her when she was depressed and felt like giving up on her career.

I wonder about the music appreciation theory too.

My music tastes expanded over the years as family and friends introduced me to a variety of music.

If you ask me, "music appreciation" as the learned see it is part of the problem.

Music appreciation is a class you take at a liberal arts college. I went through this; you are required to attend concerts where the orchestra puts on works by John Adams (example) and William Albright (example). The students then write a short paper where they highlight some of the structures used in the piece, and any other details they think the professor will want to read 50 essays about.
In these classes, students learn that while "classical" music has its beautiful and enjoyable compositions, you have "educated people" such as university professors who like to focus on the tripe because they believe in broad palettes or because they feel like they have a mandate to spread the gospel of the (insert minority here) composer.

I've also found that orchestral music directors like to do this as well. Put a well known work such as a Beethoven symphony in the advertising, and then round out the concert with a timpani concerto by an American composer and a tone poem by Hildegarte van Bingen (usually regarded as the first female composer)

I wasn't around in the 60s, but I suspect classical music was a different experience when you weren't expected to be learned to listen to this music.

These types of classes are just about the only exposure young people get to classical music as an art form, and it is rarely a positive experience, IMO.

These types of classes are just about the only exposure young people get to classical music as an art form, and it is rarely a positive experience, IMO.

The funny part is that in it's time, what we call classical music was used for basically the same thing we use popular music for today: A way to get out of the house, socialize, and maybe get lucky...sometimes right there in the concert hall. I'm not kidding. There was a reason why there originally were no seats on the orchestra level. It was an early version of a mosh pit.

I was watching a video of Grace Potter talking about her influences, and she mentioned something that hasn't been brought up here. Though she's only around 30 now, her band, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, is one of the best rock bands around. They make brand new songs that sound like the great classic rock of the 60's and 70's. Potter said her main influence was having access to her parents' record collection. As I look back on my own musical influences, as much as I enjoyed the field trips in grade school to hear concerts by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and as much as I was forced to hear the music my parents selected for the car radio, the biggest influence was my father's collection of really great symphony recordings. When I first heard Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida, I wasn't surprised that it filled an entire album side. The Mercury stereo recording of the 1812 Overture was something I often listened to. I think I liked Meat Loaf in large measure because his voice was almost as big sounding as Mario Lanza's.

While appreciating music is something one learns, it doesn't need to be an unpleasant, "force feeding" process. And the main sources of a person's musical taste are often things other than what is played on the radio.

Music appreciation is a class you take at a liberal arts college.

Mine was during high school. It was offered as an elective.

But like Avid Listener brought up in the example about Grace Potter my main influence was also my family's record collection. My parents had a lot of the softer sounds of 60's and 70's pop and rock. They also had a lot of Motown/classic soul. They had some 60's beach music. They had 70's disco. They also had stuff like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Perry Como. They also had a collection of classic Broadway musicals. They had easy listening instrumental music as well - Percy Faith, Mantovani, Herb Albert, and so on. They had a variety of movie soundtracks, ranging from Gone With The Wind to Saturday Night Fever. My aunt grew up listening to 50's music and had records by Elvis, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and so on. My grandmother was into country music and Christian music.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom