• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No live and local talk in the late evening/overnight hours on KOA...

Well, I wouldn't say unlistenable. KOA still got good ratings in the Colorado Springs and Pueblo markets

We're not talking about Colorado. I was responding to the post that said "Omaha, Texas, California, Phoenix and even Tennessee." KOA's signal is unlistenable there.

As I said, those long distance listeners don't show up in ratings, and they aren't sellable to local advertisers.

Well, I wouldn't say unlistenable. KOA still got good ratings in the Colorado Springs and Pueblo markets up until Arbitron stopped showing out-of-market signals (unless the station pays for the service). Some folks are still listening to distant signals at night, especially in areas where there isn't a lot of electronic noise. WLW Cincinnati still has an all-night truckers' show.

The ratings in the Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins and Cheyenne markets all range in the 1 to high 1 share range. Most of the listening is in 6 AM to 7 PM, with two of the markets not showing any 7PM to Midnight listening at all. So that distant listening is to the daytime groundwave signal.

Do you pay a local host a salary and benefits for a daypart that isn't even rated?

Midnight to 6 AM is definitely rated, but generally not included in the standard "6 AM to Midnight" ratings tables. It's been rated for decades.

But, rated or not, it is next to impossible to sell local advertising in that daypart, although in a few large markets we use 5 AM to 10 AM as morning drive by creating a custom daypart in the Nielsen software.

Last edited:
Even Larry King had to stop because it was killing him. At the same time I understand why owners don't want to staff it live.

And Larry was live but he wasn't local. Same as Coast to Coast AM.
And before satellite distribution and computer automation, most stations went local-live overnight with dead air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom