• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TIME TO DROP ALL INDOCTRINATION TALK.

joshzz

Star Participant
What the National Media offers is not Talk Radio as many of us old-timers recognize it to be. Today it's nothing but Indoctrination Talk. Either you agree with the host or you get yelled at should you dare to get on the line which for the most part is paid employees of the talk show host's company calling in.

We used to have great local radio here in the Philadelphia Market with WWDB-FM. Now the plethora of indoctrination talkers here on our local radio stations has left me and others wishing for bygone days.

Fortunately one of the Indoctrination Talker Programs was recently thrown in the can. Mr. Angry at Anybody but a Neocon Republican, Sean Hannity was given the boot at 1210 the Big Talker. Hopefully, these is a sign of good thing to come. Like many of you, would like to see Limbaugh pushed out.

It would be great to see more local talkers talking about stuff that mean something to us on a local level and interacting with the callers in a positive way.

Are you seeing positive change in your market?

Nope. The biggest station group in my area is owned by a Wisconsin Republican Party honcho who says he doesn't even mind losing money on his stations (at least not for a while anyway) because he wants to use them to "turn people's thinking around." So, of his 3 AM stations here, one is neocon talk (Rush, Sean, Savage, etc.), another is talk "lite," floundering a bit now since America's Radio News went phffft a couple weeks ago, with a mix of local neocons, sports-talk meatheads, and the oogum-boogum conspiracy shows (Clyde Lewis, George Noory.) You just about have to show your GOP membership card to work there; couple years ago they "purged" an old-school veteran broadcaster (from a previous management) who was doing news fill-ins and an OTR show, after he wrote a liberal opinion piece for a local paper that the new owners didn't like. They recently advertised for a salesman...part of the ad stated that if whoever turned out to be a good salesman, he'd get his own talk show as a bonus!

The third AM is an odd duck that mixes showtunes and Streisand with NASCAR coverage. What's their target audience...gay rednecks?

"Indoctrination talk" -- as you put it -- is preferable to equivocal, boring talk radio, where a host is so afraid to say anything provocative that nothing is actually said.

What the National Media offers is not Talk Radio as many of us old-timers recognize it to be. Today it's nothing more than Indoctrination Talk. Either one agrees with the host or doesn't get on the air. In the rare instance that a NON ditto-head makes it pass the screener, the battle isn't won just yet. Should an objective minded, intelligent callerl dare to disagree with the "Self Appointed Radio King", the caller will be yelled at, put down, and quickly cut off the air... and even maybe thrown into a den of lions. :)

We used to have great local radio here in the Philadelphia Market with WWDB-FM. Now for the most part there is nothing more than a plethora of nationally syndicated, indoctrination talkers here on our local radio stations. Those years of the past were truly gold!

It would be great to have more local talk show hosts talking about stuff that really means something to us on a local level and interacting with the callers in a positive way.

In the end will good, wholesome talk prevail? Your thoughts?

Something to chew on.

If you live in a community that is rated "purple" by the pundits, then maybe the kind of talk radio you and I think would be better might have a chance of working. (PURPLE: A congressional district or state where it is not guaranteed which party will will the next election. In the next election you could have a Democrat (BLUE) win or you could have a Republican win. (RED) Thus, a political unit which is called Purple.

I live in a county where the first election I paid any attention to after moving here 15 years ago had results 92% Republican, 8% Democrat. Would you like to guess what the ratio of editorials and political columnists looks like in my local newspaper? Do you have any idea what the business people of this community who buy advertising for retailing would do to any radio station that tried to implement bipartisan talk as you just described it.

Last election: this count 18% Obama, 82% Romney. Would you like to guess what kind of reception the Chair and Committee members of the Democratic County Committee get when they go around asking retailers to allow little posters promoting a rally or fundraiser or lecture sponsored by the Democratic Party? A very timid: "Please go away. Don't ask that out loud in front of my customer. Don't create a scene in my place of business." And as they walk out the front door, they stop and read the poster in the window about a Republican Town Hall Meeting.

What the National Media offers is not Talk Radio as many of us old-timers recognize it to be. Today it's nothing more than Indoctrination Talk. Either one agrees with the host or doesn't get on the air. In the rare instance that a NON ditto-head makes it pass the screener, the battle isn't won just yet. Should an objective minded, intelligent callerl dare to disagree with the "Self Appointed Radio King", the caller will be yelled at, put down, and quickly cut off the air... and even maybe thrown into a den of lions. :)

We used to have great local radio here in the Philadelphia Market with WWDB-FM. Now for the most part there is nothing more than a plethora of nationally syndicated, indoctrination talkers here on our local radio stations. Those years of the past were truly gold!

It would be great to have more local talk show hosts talking about stuff that really means something to us on a local level and interacting with the callers in a positive way.

In the end will good, wholesome talk prevail? Your thoughts?

You do understand what Hot Talk is, right? It's neither of the types you're talking about in any of your posts. It's not political, and it's not "good wholesome" talk, either. WWDB was not hot talk. I LOVED 'DB. It's probably the best regular talk station I ever listened to. But it wasn't Hot Talk.

Hot Talk would be the biggest type of radio in the country now if we weren't a nation of snitches and sissies that have to call the FCC every time someone says a dirty word or insults someone from a protected class. As it is, we get the radio we deserve. Boring, bland lifestyle talk or sports and political talk.

Hot Talk would be the biggest type of radio in the country now if we weren't a nation of snitches and sissies that have to call the FCC every time someone says a dirty word or insults someone from a protected class. As it is, we get the radio we deserve. Boring, bland lifestyle talk or sports and political talk.

One of these days maybe you will have a 13 year old daughter. You'll be proud that she is not only learning social skills at school, but maybe in study groups at a house of worship. Then one day she comes home and says: "Dad, down at McDonalds this afternoon after school, we were gathered for some cokes and choclate shakes and one of the guys looked at me and said...$@@!//!!... What does that mean Dad. I asked him what it meant and just giggled and said he heard it on the radio but didn't know what it meant."

I vividly remember the day my first-born had escaped campus and was working in NYC. She called me in hysterics and tears, having a meltdown over Howard Stern on the radio. As fatherly and compassionately as I could, I suggested that I had heard there were at least 6 or 7 radio stations in The Big Apple. Try another station for a change. The problem was: It was the radio in the office. Someone else had their hands on the control buttons.

May I remind you that the people in our society who make up the bulk of the "let's talk with clean virtuous language" are from the faith communities that are the seedbeds and hothouses where the militant Right Wing "draws in succor from the breast". So the Republicans/Conservatives are a bunch of 'sissies and snitches'?

One of these days maybe you will have a 13 year old daughter.

I did. 5 years ago. I raised my kid to turn the dial if she hears something she doesn't like, and to not be a baby when hearing "naughty" words. In the end, that's all they are. Words.

People that call the FCC over content are indeed sissies and snitches. I don't care what political stripes they wear. Do I think dropping f-bombs on morning radio should be allowed? Probably not. But calling the FCC over Miley Cyrus's dance on a cable channel (where the FCC doesn't even have jurisdiction) just shows how dumb and dependent on government so many people are.

Last edited:
My oldest is 11 and she's heard things that would offend a gangsta rapper. She doesn't like any of it. But anything on the TV and radio is certainly not going to bother her - you'd be amazed at what gets said on elementary school playgrounds. She'll just change the channel.

Now as far as political talk radio goes, I have some bad news: It's failing across the nation. It's because people are tired of the scapegoating and mud slinging. And the results are awful - it seriously makes you think twice over the Fairness Doctrine rollback. It hasn't been healthy for anyone.

As I write the government has been shut down (again.) All over polarized partisan bickering. (Again.)

Aren't there things LOCALLY we should be thinking about, talking about or doing something about? I mean. THAT'S what I miss most in talk radio. When talk radio made a difference......

You do understand what Hot Talk is, right? It's neither of the types you're talking about in any of your posts. It's not political, and it's not "good wholesome" talk, either. WWDB was not hot talk. I LOVED 'DB. It's probably the best regular talk station I ever listened to. But it wasn't Hot Talk.

So----
You want people like Greaseman on the air---------- racist comments & more -----------to get ratings & make $$$$ ?

1170 WWVA in Wheeling, West Virginia has David Bloomquist (Bloomdaddy) in the mornings. Yes, some of what he does is juvenile, but he does focus on local issues, and is as anti-PC as Clear Channel will allow.

If you want to hear quality political talk without the bombast that some here are complaining about, please check out
"THE DENNIS PRAGER SHOW" and "THE MICHAEL MEDVED SHOW". Both are part of the Salem Radio Network, but other owners have picked up their shows too.

Dennis is a compassionate Conservative who, as he says, values clarity to agreement and never insults or "yells at" callers who differ with him. Sometimes he gets into mildly heated debates with them, but I've never heard it descend down to "yelling at them". He claims that he puts callers who disagree with him to the top of the line. "The Dennis Prager Show" airs Monday-Friday from 12:05pm - 3:00pm (EST). During the first week or two of March, 2014 he's on a listener cruise, so he'll have a guest host in.

Michael Medved relishes callers who disagree with him. He often has "Disagreement Days" where only callers who disagree with him are put on. His stock-in-trade is taking calls from those who disagree. This makes for good radio. He is a courageous host. Michael Medved follows Dennis Prager's show on many of the same stations ... (3:05pm - 6:00pm EST).

Try "Tony Katz Tonight" - weekdays 9-midnight ET. tonykatz.com and wibc.com. He's out of LA and is broadcast on 93.1 WIBC, here. in Indianapolis.

None of this is "hot talk". Do people even know what that actually means anymore?

Sadly no. Anybody who cared is listening to Sat Rad or podcasts. Closest thing to "Hot talk" left is Don Imus (really tame) or Bob and Tom (wanna hear people not you laugh?). Don Geronimo just left the airwaves for the 'net. It's over and gone.

Sadly no. Anybody who cared is listening to Sat Rad or podcasts. Closest thing to "Hot talk" left is Don Imus (really tame) or Bob and Tom (wanna hear people not you laugh?). Don Geronimo just left the airwaves for the 'net. It's over and gone.

The guys who could get the big Sirius paycheck left and everyone else is out of the business pretty much. Lots of respect for Geronimo, but he's not gonna make much money doing a podcast. Of course he really doesn't need the cash at this point anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom