• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does anyone have any WEED 1390 airchecks

NO, if they were such a great radio station why didn't you record any? If you did, lets hear how great the station was. I am forever curious why people did not record radio stations.

Most people probably expected the (ones they thought were) good ones to be there forever.
There's not that many listeners who recorded stations back then who are still around, or still have the recordings.
And people get wistful for nostalgia all the time and want to relive the past.
If I'da known then what I know now...
Many reasons. :)

quadraphonic said:
Most people probably expected the (ones they thought were) good ones to be there forever.
There's not that many listeners who recorded stations back then who are still around, or still have the recordings.
And people get wistful for nostalgia all the time and want to relive the past.
If I'da known then what I know now...
Many reasons. :)

Exactly.

stevations said:
NO, if they were such a great radio station why didn't you record any? If you did, lets hear how great the station was. I am forever curious why people did not record radio stations.

I cant believe you dont have any WEED 1390 or WRMT 1490 airchecks yet you have WCEC. WCEC was by far the worst of the lot.

CEC was definitely rough around the edges, yet they had a great signal.

I used to read news for the guy that did Spanish programming in the late 80s and early 90's. I had a cassette that had about 15 minutes of the guy that followed us. I remember that he went from "Borderline" by Madonna to "No Time" by The Guess Who with no talk, imaging, or anything. I can't even find that. If I do, I will let you know.

Funny couple of stories about weed...I mean, WEED...the Spanish programming, called "Radio Sensacion" got lots of phone calls. The program director would always answer the phone, before sending us the calls, if we were on the mic. I would hear him say, "Hola, uno momento por favor" (which is sort of, "Hello, one moment please"). He had a deep southern accent, which came through in his 'Spanish". Also, one morning, we had this killer thunderstorm. In the matchbox of a studio WEED was in, there was a picture window that faced the three tower array. I watched a bolt of lightening hit the one closest to the highway, and arc to the second, then the third. Needless to say, we were down for a little while after that.

UnknownComic said:
No, but I do have some weed I'll sell you for $13.90.

There was a station with the call letters WEED? Those calls would be right at home at CC-Raleigh's stable at Smoketree...

Indeed, there is a WEED AM 1390. Funny thing...I heard that back in the 50's, the station was known as "The Golden WEED" (a reference to NC's tobacco industry). However, with the rise of weed (as in Bob Marley-style weed), they dumped that moniker.

WFAG Farmville and Greenville. BTW a *** is a cigarette. Look it up. Tobacco country.
Merry Christmas to all NC radio gurus.

No joke - it seems like I was once told that the former WFAG was known as "The Big ***". Of course, at that time, that would have likely been targetted to 'tobacco country'.

Tobacco money was king in eastern NC. When I worked in Goldsboro, we had a telco loop at the tobacco market. Did daily live broadcasts during auction season.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom