• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

103.1 KVFG (Victorville)

Now that we all know the CBS Radio has moved ESPN from there 103.1 (KVFG) Signal to AM 910 (KRAK) signal. What do you think what would work on 103.1? Do you think a Fresh station like what they have in New York would work in the High Desert or even a Sophie like in San Diego?

I care! Victorville is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. I also live in VV. KVFG would be a great station if it was programmed to get attention.

kn3ick said:
I care! Victorville is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. I also live in VV. KVFG would be a great station if it was programmed to get attention.

The Victor Valley market has had a growth rate of around 0.8% a year in the last 5 years, less than other areas like San Diego (0.9%) or the Palm Springs metro (2.7%). That's one of the reasons radio revenues there have not picked up and the market is so much lower in revenue rank than its population rank.

For those reasons, don't look for much that is not a really low cost format... perhaps another one delivered from out of the market.

I was thinking maybe CBS Radio Victor Valley would bring up a station like "Fresh, JACK, or even Lite-FM" that would give El Dorado Broadcasters HOT AC "Y102" a run for there money. I don't think CBS Radio would go up against Playlist 92.7 since the owner is friends with the programmers of the CBS Radio stations. The interesting thing about the new Christmas 103 is they have the KFROG ribbit before they go on commercial breaks. Is that a indication of them bring back KFROG 103.1?

I don't think CBS Radio would go up against Playlist 92.7 since the owner is friends with the programmers of the CBS Radio stations.

Everyone's competing for ad dollars, so unless Joe Amaturo and Dan Mason are buddies, it doesn't matter. The return of Froggy 103.1 might give them a chance for more revenue, and certainly better ratings. Though there are areas in Victorville where the K-Frog 95.1 signal comes in well, they can go back to having different spots running for the IE and the High Desert. CBS won't spend any money as others have mentioned. Not sure why they thought a sports station with very little local market content was going to work. Maybe sports will do better on AM.

I don't think KFROG will be making it's return to the Victor Valley on 103.1. I think Kat Country 100.7 just blasted them out of the valley. I can see a satellite fed JACK FM, AMP Radio or even "NOW" for current music hits. The High Desert has KDUC on 94.3 from Barstow or 99.1 KGGI but, I think a local station in the Victor Valley would do ok. Ratings, might not be as good as KGGI but, it would most likey put a dint in there High Desert ratings.

Go back to the Fall 2009 book. KATJ 4.2, KFRG/KVFG had a combined share of 3.8. That's not a big difference. CBS switching to sports just in time for the Spring 2010 book gave Kat Country a big boost. CBS blew themselves up, not KATJ.

Fresh-FM might be something to try since it would be fresh for the market. Jack might work too. What would work best would be a live, local High Desert station. However CBS won't spend that kind of money.

Do you think a Hit Music Station would work on 103.1 in Victorville? I'm looking at all the holes in formats in the Victorville area and I only currently see: KZXY-FM (Hot AC), KATJ-FM (Country), KIXA-FM (Classic Rock), KIXW-AM (Talk), KRAK-AM (Sports) and KAJL-FM (AC with a lil Current Hot AC). So, I think your right I can see a FRESH, JACK-FM, AMP Radio, NOW or even a Classics station popping up on the 103.1 signal but, they may make it automated or possibly satellite fed.

If i remember correctly, at one time in the early 90s, 103.1 was a hit music station like Q103 KVVQ (?)

That's great!! The Route @ 103.1 I think will be a great station for the High Desert. Who would you like to see on the air at The Route? Maybe Charlie Ray? Cory Baker Kari Lynn?

Now that KVFG is "The Route," does anyone know if there is a stream, or even, a website, for this station? If there is, I've been unable to find it.

If not, is anyone on this board able to hear the station? If so, are they playing the typical 60's to 80's mix? How is the imaging?

--The Radio Kid
A curious outsider

Route 103 plays some great music but, what I heard yesterday morning they don't really have any good imaging. The person that does the KFROG (KFRG & KFXG) stations imaging is also doing a few imaging for Route 103. I haven't found a website yet myself.

Hey kn3ick! Delvin in Victorville here! I just found out about the new Route 103.1 from the California Route 66 Museum facebook posting about it! The station should collaborate with the museum and do some live broadcasts at the museum. Also August 2012 the International Route 66 Festival is being held in Victorville for four days. They need a website too!

Hey Delvin! It's great to see you posting here! The Route 103.1 is a good station but, I agree that they need a website and more local personalities. The only local show they have is the morning show. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom