• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

songs that mention other groups

Digression: Deviation, straying.

That is the only reason I left it alone. ;D

OK, back on topic then: "Sweet Soul Music" - Arthur Conley (Lou Rawls, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, James Brown).

firepoint525 said:
ABC, "When Smokey Sings," a tribute to Smokey Robinson. In ABC's "The Look of Love," the lead singer, Martin Fry, mentions himself by name. "Ah, Martin, maybe one day, you'll find true love." Interesting, given that neither he nor the group were very well known at the time, since "Look of Love" was their first hit.

As for mentioning other members of your own band, John Lennon did that on the Beatles' "Glass Onion" in which he sang, "here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."

One that mentioned others in their own group hit #1: "Back in My Arms Again" by the Supremes (Diana Ross mentions Mary & Flo).

cd

cd637299 said:
firepoint525 said:
ABC, "When Smokey Sings," a tribute to Smokey Robinson. In ABC's "The Look of Love," the lead singer, Martin Fry, mentions himself by name. "Ah, Martin, maybe one day, you'll find true love." Interesting, given that neither he nor the group were very well known at the time, since "Look of Love" was their first hit.
As for mentioning other members of your own band, John Lennon did that on the Beatles' "Glass Onion" in which he sang, "here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."
One that mentioned others in their own group hit #1: "Back in My Arms Again" by the Supremes (Diana Ross mentions Mary & Flo).
Must have taken some doing by Holland-Dozier-Holland to work those names into a Supremes hit!

firepoint525 said:
cd637299 said:
firepoint525 said:
Must have taken some doing by Holland-Dozier-Holland to work those names into a Supremes hit!

How true! Diana Ross' ego is legendary. Remember her infamous on-stage shootout with Patty Labelle? While taping a Motown reunion TV special, Patty started singing the lead vocals of a Supremes hit. An outraged Diana raced over and wrestled the mike away from Patty, then continued singing the same song. Patty then grabbed the mike back from Diana and resumed singing the same contested lead (Can't remember which song). As the drama played out, the orchestra kept playing, never losing a beat. Of course, footage of this battle ended up on the cutting room floor.

Back to the thread though-- wasn't there yet another Supremes number that mentioned other performers? Something tells me there was...

cd637299 said:
firepoint525 said:

cd

Now that ya mention it....."Ready Steve....Andy.....Mick.....alright fellas...lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Or to really stretch it, the long live version of "Do You Feel Like We Do" Frampton says, "Bob Mayo on the keyboards -- start playin'!"

Peter, Paul & Mary's " I Dig Rock And Roll Music also mentions The Beatles! "And when The Beatles Tell You, They've Got A Weird Love To Sell You, They Mean Exactly What They Say." The Temptation's also mention The Beatles in their hit song "Ball Of Confusion."

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Louie and Ella, referring to Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald

RadioStarOne said:
Peter, Paul & Mary's " I Dig Rock And Roll Music also mentions The Beatles! "And when The Beatles Tell You, They've Got A Weird Love To Sell You, They Mean Exactly What They Say." The Temptation's also mention The Beatles in their hit song "Ball Of Confusion."

P P & M's "I dig Rock n' Roll Music" also mentions Donovan and the Mamas & Pappas...

firepoint525 said:
On the subject of shout-outs to other members of your own group, Sly Stone mentions Cynthia and Jerry in "Dance to the Music" and also addresses them as well.

"Shoutouts" happened long before Sly & TFS hit the charts. Telegraphing my age again, but the old Bob Wills western-swing band frequently tagged their fellow instrumentalists by name too, as if cueing their breakaways. 'AAAAHH, sing now, Tommy (Duncan)..." and "Play that ol' fiddle, Johnny (Gimble)..."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

....and even in the 30s & 40s, didn't many (all?) of Kay Kyser's hits introduce every member of the band? There was even an "All in the Family" episode where Ish Kabibbel (sp?) is mentioned.

(Definitely "Three Iddy Fishies" is one of these songs.)

cd

One of my favorite "shout-outs" would have to be Bob Seger on the Live Bullet version of "Heavy Music." He calls out his drummer, Charlie Allen Martin, during the second half of the song, and Charlie sings right back to him! 8) That whole segment was ad-libbed, but it was quite good! ;) Also, Bob introduces the entire band during "Let It Rock."

On the Beatles '65 album, Ringo gives a shout out to George on "Honey Don't" (Ah...rock on George one time for me).

In the Song "Sweet Georgia Brown" Tony Sheridan mention's how Georgia "in Liverpool she even dared to critizise The Beatles hair, with their whole fan club standing there) and also shouts out to George Harrison. Two for one....

The Ramones, "Do You Remember Rock N' Roll Radio" -shouts out to T-Rex and others, including DJ's Murray the K and Alan Freed.

Def Leppard "Rocket" has references to songs by "The Beatles", "Elton John", "David Bowie", and "Queen".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom