• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Found an old WPGC relic today

N

nocomradio

I was rummaging around at the local flea market today, seeking some refuge from the deluge of rain and ran across an interesting item: A copy of the WPGC album "Together Gold Volume 1" It appears it was released in 1970. Here is some information and a funny story regarding its creation:

http://www.amandfmmorningside.com/wpgc_together_gold_album.html

It's in great shape and a really unexpected find amongst a sea of Lawrence Welk and Ray Conniff. ;D

My family had one greatest hits record back in the late 70s and it sounded incredibly tinny on a phonograph. I didn't reemember what the name of this record. It did had Fleetwood Mac on the record.

The story about Roulette Records is a common story for that company. They were crooked and pure evil. I had a couple of conversations with the owner.

I haven't put this on the turntable yet, but it is in very good condition, so I will report the audio quality.

Any record company that "sends out the goons" doesn't sound good...... :eek:

Wow and WHEEEEE and thankxksx, Stevations!

I was one of three radio people, two of us out of work, who drove from NYC to Florida in Spring 1970. When it was my turn at the wheel, it was the first stick-shift I ever drove, lol. A red Renault hatchback. Somehow we all survived.

WPGC was a super midday treat as we passed by the Capitol Area. We all thought they were the noisiest station ever licensed. I mean, c'mon -- Bob Seger System and 'Lucifer' for listen-at-work fare? 'Your easygoing workday favorites' ? Bwaahaaa!!

In retrospect, it's downright cool to realize that they caused all that racket with a MINIMUM of jingles. Good Lord, did WPGC EVER air a jingle?!?

Bob Raleigh might not have been his best this air check ; he sounded a little 'WTF' and on the clock. But what a great radio voice. And the music selection was right at that divergence/crossroads, when Top 40 and the still-unnamed AoR were about to separate. Grand time for music.

And a grand time for radio. Tanx again there, Stevations, for the memories!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom