• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any Part 15 AM Station Here

Are there any part 15 am stations here in Houston??

Part 15 applies to unlicensed low power transmissions or to spurious / unintentional signals. AM kits used to be available at 0.25 watts, that may have been lowered to 0.10 watts. Responding to your question, there are probably hundreds of unlicensed low power broadcasts here, but very few people would be aware of them. If you're referring to pirate operations, they would typically ignore Part 15 rules and transmit at much higher power and relocate periodically to avoid detection.

Yes, I run one out in Bellville. The comment above about all Part-15 being limited to 100mw is not entirely correct. Part-15 community stations operating carrier-current AM are limited to a max of 50w, or 15uV/M at 47,715/freq. At my operating freq of 580Khz, I can have 15uv at nearly 300ft, and since the powerlines are my antenna, it will cover a large chunk of my town. Truth is, you can't get 300ft from a powerline here. I did run into a snag though, when I was operating on 1450khz, the signal had much greater range than operating at 580. Wasn't supposed to do that, but I'll figure it out... Those curious about the rules on carrier-current need to check out Part-15 section 221 of the code. I know several operators running a 100mw into a 3m stick with a good ground system, getting several miles out. It all boils down to the antenna tuning and the ground, without those both being perfect, you will not get across the street.

Tommy J.
AM-580 "The Bull"
http://bigvoices.net

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom