Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM

Re: Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM

Well Sports Radio has certainly benefited from the (Gradual) move to FM. While doesn't really make a difference when it comes to Sports Talk, there IS a noticeable difference in how live sporting events sound on FM though. FM sound MUCH better here

Cheers & 73 ;D
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

Not here in New England. There's too much empty space.

cd637299

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Cook
    Well Sports Radio has certainly benefited from the (Gradual) move to FM. While doesn't really make a difference when it comes to Sports Talk, there IS a noticeable difference in how live sporting events sound on FM though. FM sound MUCH better here

Cheers & 73 ;D
    Very few sports-FM stations use stereo.....but I would think that hearing a broadcast play-by-play in stereo with fan "surround sound" would be awesome.

cd

Well, I'll have to agree to disagree. Because when there's no music left on local terrestrial FM radio, what's the point of listening to local terrestrial FM radio?

AM, for all it's granny-ness, seems to serve News/Talk, any spoken word format better. It can reach farther and is more tolerable under super noisy conditions. FM stations don't have the same reach. Not off your highest transmitting peak or even at 100,000 watts. And it doesn't help if your rimshot Seattle FM frequency is co-channel with a full 100,000 watt FM signal from Vancouver. A FRENCH language station.

I'm referring to the collapse of the Skagit River Bridge on I-5. In this area, only CBUF 97.7 comes in on 97.7 MHz. Not KOMO-FM (also on 97.7)

Most folks outside of TV and web access had to get their instant updates from KOMO on AM 1000. The local commercial AM radio stations in Mount Vernon were too busy playing syndicated Gold AC or Country music programming.

This is sadly the state of modern small-town terrestrial radio.

And that bridge was/IS important. It's a HUGE trade route between the US and Canada. CNN was on this for hours. Even the BBC (who even pronounced "Skagit" CORRECTLY. - It's Ska-JIT, rhymes with "magic" and not "Ska-GIT", which rhymes with a deplorable slur against gay people.) were on the story

So all in all, I say high-powered major market AM radio DOES have it's place. While in the big city, with all it's radio noise pollution (Hint: FM, unless the tower is a few blocks away, is often just as bad as suburbans AM in big cities) the big 50,000 watt AMs still seem to come in LOUDER and BETTER than anyone else. And beyond that, they LAST longer for the long haul.

So keep that in mind.....
    Awww, you're an "alpha male". Isn't that cute...

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater
    AM, for all it's granny-ness, seems to serve News/Talk, any spoken word format better. It can reach farther and is more tolerable under super noisy conditions.
    Wow... i'm just outside of Philly and AM is a noisy mess. KYW at night doesn't come in very well at all, and I'm just outside city limits. nor does WNTP. If i wana listen to KYW i'll have to do it online, or on 94.1 HD2. I dont much like WNTP, but listen to WSJ at times, but i find that lisetning to that online from Tunein is a much better option then OTA radio.
    WPHT comes in best here. and even though there is noise if you are near electric or running near powerlines, the signal can at least be tolerated.
    now if you have a turk advantage loop with a Maduci tuner and can get the antenna away from your electric, you'll have a better shot.
    but on a portible boombox or walkman? unless the electric is out, AM isn't a fun choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FLjack2 View Post
    Based on satellite radio, mp3 players, pandora and every other way you can hear music, why wouldn't talk move to FM? NPR has been doing it for years (and rather successfully.)
    So has Pacifica Radio
    The big question is, "what will happen to all those AM signals?"
    Two words (For starters) - HAM RADIO
    At some point, maybe in 5-10 years, WSB, WDBO, WBBM, WMAL, etc, will decide it's not worth the electric current to keep both stations operating with the same format. Eventually, they will want to split that signal again, keeping the news and talk on FM.
    Agreed

They'll also start making their online streams into a seperate station (Or create one stream to simulcast the OTA & additional online streams for other stuff they wanna do & CAN do knowing they won't be hampered or bogged down by the FCC)
    (Remember, this is no different than what happened back in the 60s and 70s with FM radio. Music was on AM, then moved to FM. They put news and talk programming on AM. What's next?)
    More accurately put - We're witnessing this generation's version of the late 1950s & early 1960s when the OTR era came to an end & broadcasters were struggling as they tried to figure out what to do with all the radio stations affiliated with ABC & Mutual (And later NBC & CBS)

JMO.....

Cheers & 73
    Last edited by JeeperOne; 09-08-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456