Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM

Re: Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM

Quote Originally Posted by josh
    AM is best for foreign language.
    AM is dead look at Toyota, Ford and Tesla they are now including dashboard apps.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. AM can be saved. It can still be used for hometown radio, which at least still works here in New England. It is capable of more than 10kc. of fidelity but is neutered by the F.C.C.'s NRSC mask. AM also suffers from FCC inaction with respect to interference sources. It is the only place an average person can still get in on the ground floor & if they want to, eventually buy a station. Why isn't AM being saved more? Because we've been deluded into thinking that AM is dying & it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Quit badmouthing AM, talk up its good points & breathe new life into it. The Attleboro, Massachusetts Sun-Chronicle just ran an article about that town's cable access station providing emergency communications for a wide over the town's AM station. The literature provided by the cable station called AM radio the gold standard. Why? Because last August when high winds knocked down powerlines, only 6-12% of the residents could still turn on their cable TVs but could still turn on AM radio. What belongs on AM? Hometown voices, civic pride.

Too much noise, and it;s only getting worse. Saying that talk shouldn't be on FM sounds a little like back in the day some thought you shouldn;t play "AM Music" n FM, because FM should be for "FM Music" (progressive rock)

FM talk is the worst

Most of the morning FM music shows I listen to are doing talk. Listeners don't realize its talk radio since the subjects are American Idol, Jersey Shore, top 10 pickup lines etc. We're listening to talk anyway whether is AM or FM. I see a market later for FM talk that in addition to having political shows have comedy, lifestyle, medical (yee-hah) and comedy-political-commentary like John Stewart.

The morning shows on FM are much more enjoyable and positive than any of the stuff coming from the political talk show hosts that try to indoctrinate you into their company's belief system.

It's a fact that listening to talker like Hannity, Rush, Maddow, etc., on a regular basis adversely affects your mood, the way you view others and very importantly your health, including blood pressure.

It's a fact that listening to talker like Hannity, Rush, Maddow, etc., on a regular basis adversely affects your mood, the way you view others and very importantly your health, including blood pressure.
    I don't know if it is a FACT or not, but I agree with you. It is my personal observation that what you say is true. I know what it does to my own blood pressure. I can see what it does to the blood pressure of people I talk with... both those I agree with and those I do not agree with.

The question that we need to spend more time on... a question for which we may not find an answer... does having citizens listen to foaming-at-the-mouth radio and tv do anything to help the American scene... does it do anything to hurt the American scene.

I am totally FOR free expression... when carried on by functioning adults with reasonable amounts of sanity. I did talk radio long before it became cool to quote an old country music song. I like to think I not only allowed listeners to think for themselves... I basically forced them to think by always insisting on looking at both sides of the issue. Time has proven you can make a lot more money playing demagogue and pandering to non-functional pseudo-adults with questionalbe abount of sanity.

Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

I've also heard reports that prostates enlarge as well.

in3media_be1

Some posts from this thread have been moved to Take It Outside

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/ind...027#msg1868027

AM does have various reception problems (interference, power downs etc) and FM has proven
    to be a solution.
    --Younger people especially don't even know AM exists or have no reason to go there
    --SOME AM stations can do half decently with talk, local or syndicated, on AM. But every
    town needs one or two powerful FM signals for the format (more if you include NPR/public).
    Hopefully there will be enough FM music stations around.
    --As for AM, perhaps some news-talk etc. but lately it's home to ethnic, religion,
    _some_ news/talk/sports, local "hometown" stations etc

If FM, or AM, talk is dominated by shouters, extremists, and poorly done shows blame
    listeners who seem to prefer it. Though if it's done poorly eventually it could die out
    if someone comes along with a better quality product. Of course companies may not pay
    as much attention to talk, etc. if it gets an older demo and lower ratings though you'd
    think they SHOULD and could do better.
    Took tour this week of WATD Marshfield MA, an FM that "gets it". Full service: AC music,
    news-talk-public affairs, specialty shows, serves the community, the staff loves working
    there and it shows. Local, and done well. We need more of that.

And maybe there are indeed still some stations like that on AM...you know, the ones
    that aren't running all-syndie and are staying local as much as possible. They're also
    the ones that don't come in at night...who get all kinds of interference...

There is room on FM for well done talk, sports, etc., as well as music. It may not please
    everyone but can attract more people than AM. And 80 per cent of radio listeners tune to FM.

>>Most of the morning FM music shows I listen to are doing talk. Listeners don't realize its talk radio since the subjects are American Idol, Jersey Shore, top 10 pickup lines etc. We're listening to talk anyway whether is AM or FM.

Very true

btw AM may not be dead. It could well be saved and live on, but right now the market is
    focused on FM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast