Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM

Re: Talk Radio belongs on AM, Not FM

Quote Originally Posted by phils07
    Talk radio does belong to AM. Music belongs to FM. If I want to hear talk in FM stereo, I'll listen to my HD radio or online.
    1990 is calling. They want their radio back. Too bad. They can't have it.

This is 2011, and nothing "belongs" on AM anymore. The market (read: the listeners and advertisers) have already made that decision. News, talk, and sports are moving to FM and music is going online or on people's MP3 players. The game is just about over for dinosaur radio other than for religious and Part 15 broadcasters. It had a good run, but now it's dying of old age and obsolescence. Even the 50 kW blowtorches are pushing their FM (if they have it) and online presence over Ancient Modulation.

Really, what does AM have that make it better than FM or online? Better coverage? Only if you're running 5-50 kW nondirectional and you're at the low end of the dial. But FM has better sound quality, can penetrate office buildings, and is where the listeners are. Where the listeners are is where the advertisers want to be.

Online is also good for the office, is at least nationwide by definition. Some stations are marketing themselves as having nationwide or worldwide coverage, despite the fact that no listeners outside of the local market generate any revenue. If you're a noncomm, you can still sell ads on the stream (union rules permitting, of course). I know of one that does, and there are probably others. If you don't, or can't have an FM, like WGN, this is your entry into the future. There is no future for AM. Its audience is dying of old age along with the AM band. Maybe they'll figure something out to fix it and prove me wrong. I hope they do, since there isn't enough room for everybody on FM. But I'm not holding my breath. If the ITU would agree, maybe they should just turn the AM band over to the hams and be done with it.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

If you guys who this religion-like attitude that it is immoral to contaminate the FM band with the spoken word all live in the city, I know your opinion makes sense to you.

For those of us who live out in the commuter communities where AM stations do not reach at night time, and do not reach during drive time in the winter hours, we listen to you guys whine and mutter to ourselves: "How childish. How selfish." For some of us if talk isn't on FM, talk doesn't exist during those hours.
    Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Music now belongs to my MP3 player, Pandora and my XM/Sirius radio (which I will likely stop paying for after it runs out next time)

Talk belongs to FM

The AM dial is now home to ethnic and other "specialty" programming. Exactly where it belongs.

nocomradio

Talk and news is definitely moving to FM like it or not. I don't, but I see why its happening.

I won't declare AM dead though, until the loud fire and brimstone Southern Baptist preachers move to FM. Then AM will be gone for good.

why? ??? Easy! Every time there is a thunderstorm, there is crackling. Every time you go through a tunnel or in a parking garage, the signal is gone. The talk sounds clearer on FM. It's the same reason(s) why music moved there years ago.

Plus, ask any 25 year old when is the last time he or she pushed the AM/FM button on their car radio. (The last one I asked didn't know the radio HAD a button like that. lol) As people just tune around on FM, they might just find your news station and stick with it for a bit. They won't just "run across" your news or talk station on the AM dial.

cd637299

It won't be long before anyone < 25 will ask, "What's a radio?"

cd

I agree with the original poster. Voice does not take up a lot of bandwidth and sounds fuller on A.M. whereas on F.M. there sounds like a lot of empty space. But this is all irrelevant anyway as soon enough brokered time stations will be on F.M.. We're witnessing what are likely the waning days of BOTH bands. :-[ Plus, I don't see web radio ever becoming as ubiquitous as radio was. There are simply too many web stations & not many of them are any good. The immediately previous poster is right: soon people under 25 will be asking what's a radio.

Quote Originally Posted by N1WVQ

Voice does not take up a lot of bandwidth and sounds fuller on A.M. whereas on F.M. there sounds like a lot of empty space.
    Say what?

I had an eggplant but the grunch over there.

You win this month's honorable mention for technical double talk. ;D

Once it comes out of the detector stage and goes into the audio section of the receiver, or the speaker system, or the headphones... how does this "empty space" make itself known? What meter would I use to calculate the "empty space". Will my voice leave more empty space than does your voice? Does a voice-over professional fill more of the empty space than I would? Does the FCC have a rule on maximum allowable empty-space? Do NCE and LPFM stations have to meet the same requirements as commercial FMs in filling that empty space?
    Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

AHLPOR

I think talk is great in FM. I really like to hear my favorite shows in crisp clear FM. I love what Clear Cahnnel is doing, putting as many of it's talk stations on FM as possible.

AM is best for foreign language.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast