• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When is it too early for Christmas music?

danikayser84

Leading Participant
Last year, not one but two of our stations here in Albany, NY (98.3 WTRY and 105.7 WBZZ/now WQSH) went Christmas on November 1... which I thought was way too early at least IMO...

I know of a few stations that went all-Christmas in late October, I think a few as early as Columbus Day even... but, where do you draw the line when it comes to Christmas music? I'd personally consider the line to be either a week before Thanksgiving or around Veteran's Day... any earlier and I'd consider it "too early" :)

Honestly, I am not a Scrooge, but before December 25 is a little too early. Just sayin'............

CBS Radio's KVIL/Dallas-Ft. Worth went all-Christmas starting the 3rd week of Nov which is in the middle of November and they don't stop playing Christmas till the 3rd day after Christmas (Dec 28).

ClearChannel's KODA/Houston went all-Christmas around Thanksgiving and stop playing Christmas right after Christmas day right on Dec 26.

Renda Broadcasting's KMGL/Oklahoma City went all-Christmas around Thanksgiving and stop playing Christmas right after Christmas day right on Dec 26 as well.

I think switching to all-Christmas before Thanksgiving is too early. It would be more reasonable if AC stations just sprinkle Christmas music into their playlist starting on Dec 1 and then play all-Christmas starting the eve of Christmas.

Anytime before Thanksgiving is too early. Even then, I think stations shouldn't go all-Christmas until maybe the week of Christmas. Sure, the ratings may say otherwise, but do people really wanna hear 'round-the-clock Christmas music for weeks on end?

Might as well start on Labor Day.

the golden boy said:
Anytime before Thanksgiving is too early. Even then, I think stations shouldn't go all-Christmas until maybe the week of Christmas. Sure, the ratings may say otherwise, but do people really wanna hear 'round-the-clock Christmas music for weeks on end?

Might as well start on Labor Day.

True, I believe they should do it this way: Start sprinkling Christmas songs into the playlist the week before Christmas and then play all-Christmas 3 days before Christmas.

My feelings on Christmas music, (there will now be a 30 second pause while all of you say "Who cares?")
When i was programming I would start the day AFTER Thankgiving adding 1 to 2 cuts per hour. The next week I would increase it, and over the four week period I would keep adding until Christmas week was 100%. The Christmas night I would decrease back to 2 per hour for a few days.

I would also hold the real special (think heavy and traditional) Christmas Muisc for Christmas eve (noon on) and Christmas Day, till 6 PM and sell Christmas greeting announcements during that time. THAT was a good money maker, and with the excepion of regular advertisers, all were CASH in ADVANCE!

I do think it depends on the stations format, and how willing you are to play artists from other types of music during the season.

The short answer: when more listeners tune out than tune in.

There's two answers... one for listeners and one for salespeople and advertisers.

Listeners may want to wait till Thanksgiving Friday or Dec. 1. But AC stations, especially in markets where more than one station flips to Xmas music, want to be first. You want advertisers to start hearing the music in the store or office and realize they've got to buy time on the station NOW. You know the ratings go up for Xmas music. I've never heard a story where a station was HURT by playing Xmas music or playing it too early.

A few years ago, three stations in Philadelphia switched to Christmas music on or around Thanksgiving: the market's top AC (and often #1 overall) WBEB. The market's CBS Oldies station WOGL. (This was the year all CBS Oldies stations went all-Xmas in December except in Dallas where CBS also owns the big AC station.) And the market's upstart AC station, WNUW, which had just flipped from Smooth Jazz. How did they finish in the December ratings? They were all in the Top 3.

1)WBEB 2)WOGL 3)WNUW. It was WNUW's highest ratings ever. When they went back to regular AC music after the holidays, their ratings sank and they are now All-Sports WPEN-FM.

So when you hear an AC station switch to Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole before Thanksgiving, don't give them a hard time. They're doing it to be first and to get the advertisers on board.

Gregg
[email protected]

Just sprinkle them in prior to December 21st ? I don't see why stations think it has to be ALL CHRISTMAS MUSIC and in warm climates it seems ridiculous to hear Christmas music when it's 80 degrees outside !

Gregg said:
There's two answers... one for listeners and one for salespeople and advertisers.

Listeners may want to wait till Thanksgiving Friday or Dec. 1. But AC stations, especially in markets where more than one station flips to Xmas music, want to be first. You want advertisers to start hearing the music in the store or office and realize they've got to buy time on the station NOW. You know the ratings go up for Xmas music. I've never heard a story where a station was HURT by playing Xmas music or playing it too early.

A few years ago, three stations in Philadelphia switched to Christmas music on or around Thanksgiving: the market's top AC (and often #1 overall) WBEB. The market's CBS Oldies station WOGL. (This was the year all CBS Oldies stations went all-Xmas in December except in Dallas where CBS also owns the big AC station.) And the market's upstart AC station, WNUW, which had just flipped from Smooth Jazz. How did they finish in the December ratings? They were all in the Top 3.

1)WBEB 2)WOGL 3)WNUW. It was WNUW's highest ratings ever. When they went back to regular AC music after the holidays, their ratings sank and they are now All-Sports WPEN-FM.

So when you hear an AC station switch to Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole before Thanksgiving, don't give them a hard time. They're doing it to be first and to get the advertisers on board.

Gregg
[email protected]

True, I actually have friends at my high school who listens to CHR mostly and they rarely listen to AC. Although they can't wait till Thanksgiving and Xmas to listen to Xmas music on AC, other than that they wouldn't care about AC much.

radiobum said:
Just sprinkle them in prior to December 21st ? I don't see why stations think it has to be ALL CHRISTMAS MUSIC and in warm climates it seems ridiculous to hear Christmas music when it's 80 degrees outside !

Lol, I know right.

radiobum said:

Because it makes money.

Christmas music should begin (sprinkled in) after the Macy's Parade in NYC, nationwide, then go all-out two weeks before, December 11th.

In retail stores, Christmas usually begins on Black Friday.

Christmas hasn't waited for Black Friday in retail stores for years.

I get more intolerant each year of the use of Christmas music to drive shopping ads. My very few hours of radio listening are usually next to nothing from the end of October through New Year's Day.

Same thing holds true for TV news broadcasts that feature a daily recap of retail sales with the mandatory clip of overstuffed Americans carrying their overstuffed shopping bags. I am not the least bit religious but it is a shame that the holiday has completely disappeared under the onslaught of retail.

I'll just gaze at my antique Currier & Ives plate wistfully. ::)

But guys, you're not listening. You might not like it but as I said, I am not aware of a single AC station where switching to Xmas, even before Thanksgiving, has hurt them. First, it makes money for AC stations, some of whom might switch formats if it weren't for those big Xmas dollars at the end of the year.

But it also is a big hit with the public. You might say you don't like Xmas music so early. So listen to all the other stations on the dial. Some AC stations score ridiculous ratings increases in December thanks to Xmas music.

I'm pretty sure WLIT Chicago would have switched formats by now if they didn't increase their ratings, some years FOUR times their normal ratings. And it has nothing to do with how warm the weather is. WSSK Honolulu often doubles their normal ratings in December, even though it might be 80 degrees outside. Their listeners don't mind hearing about a White Christmas or Sleigh Rides. WWRM Tampa has trouble staying in the top 10 the rest of the year. But it zooms to #1 in December. So it has nothing to do with weather.

Gregg
[email protected]

Somebody, cue up the old Stan Freburg bit. ;)

Gregg said:
But guys, you're not listening. You might not like it but as I said, I am not aware of a single AC station where switching to Xmas, even before Thanksgiving, has hurt them. First, it makes money for AC stations, some of whom might switch formats if it weren't for those big Xmas dollars at the end of the year.

But it also is a big hit with the public. You might say you don't like Xmas music so early. So listen to all the other stations on the dial. Some AC stations score ridiculous ratings increases in December thanks to Xmas music.

Exactly right. There is enough years of data now to support a pre-Thanksgiving launch. The Arbitron calendar plays into this with the fall survey ending the second week of December, if you wait til Black Friday, you won't get as much of a ratings bounce as if you go at least the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Ratings and revenue equal a successful station and people keeping their jobs....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom