• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mike FM changes formats and then has its best book ever!

The PPM analysis came out today-two days AFTER Mike FM went away. Guess what? Mike had its best book EVER, ironically tied 18-34 with WAAF (and I'll bet it's a LOT cheaper to run then AAF).

From All Access:

"P18-34: WMKK (93.7 MIKE FM)/BOSTON, 40.6% / #11 to #7 (tied with ENTERCOM Active Rocker WAAF/BOSTON)"

I think they should have done what people here have long suggested: Move 107.3 back to Paxton and simulcast 850 there. Keep AAF on 97.7-it's a college format anyway.

They narrowed the playlist and I guess people preferred it...maybe they can bring it back on 97.7
but I'll take 93.7 and WEEI now so I can hear Sox games at work etc. I know Entercom didn't want to
lose the Mike revenue stream but they had no other station to bump it to (or bump EEI // to)

I'd been recently listening, and Mike sounded like they'd gotten rid of the cheesy 80s-Kiss-108 stuff but added more new wave/80s alternative.....a direction that I was happy to hear. Anyway, as mentioned in another post, I'm quite pleased at the moment sending Toronto's Boom 97.3 wirelessly to my stereo via the Boom English iPhone app. This is the best Gen-X-era classic hits mix I've heard yet.

MIKE did very well in many demos in the new August ratings.

8th overall 25-54 (beating WAAF, WBOS, WBMX, WBZ-AM, WEEI-AM, WTKK, WODS)
7th with WOMEN 25-54 (WAAF 18th, WEEI 14th same category)
11th with MEN 25-54 (WAAF 12th, WEEI 5th same category)

Seems as though MIKE did well with women.. will these women migrate towards KISS, MIX or MAGIC rather than WROR, WODS or WZLX?

How would other stations respond to the loss of Mike? Admittedly, I don't listen to Boston radio much but I know MIX has dumped the 80's. Would they reverse this move? Magic already plays music from the 60's to today and I don't see them messing with success & responding at all. What about WODS? Deeper cuts? Would WBOS be a good candidate to add more titles? I don't know. I'm just tossing it out there.

Is WFNX taking note here? They could really create a good station here with personalities that would generate more ratings than they have ever had as WFNX. Anyone on Boston radio put in for the WMKK call letters with the FCC?

It's hard to imagine the format hole of servicing Gen X'ers wouldn't be filled, especially from a mainstream pop angle. BOS could lean more pop-rock now. But, importantly, it seems WODS and WROR are redundant.

The Gen-X-oldies-with-personality "Boom" format is doing well in Toronto, much better than Jack did, in a market with other established stations catering rock, classic rock, baby-boomer variety hits (a la WROR), AC, and Hot AC.

The opportunity is lucrative. And given Mikes improvements in music mix and upturn in the ratings....

LA_Guy said:
The PPM analysis came out today-two days AFTER Mike FM went away. Guess what? Mike had its best book EVER, ironically tied 18-34 with WAAF (and I'll bet it's a LOT cheaper to run then AAF).

Don't you mean its best book since the advent of PPM? From other posts I've seen that document the history of 93.7 ratings over a decade or so, I think that's what you--and All Access--probably meant. It's just that the way you put it sounds so much more dramatic. Also, who cares if the info is incorrect? :mad:

WODS was running promos yesterday courting former "Mike" listeners.

Something like: (automated telephone operator voice) "The number you have reached, 93-7, has been disconnected. The new number for the 'Greatest Hits of the '60s, '70s and '80s' is 103".

Eli Polonsky said:
WODS was running promos yesterday courting former "Mike" listeners.

Something like: (automated telephone operator voice) "The number you have reached, 93-7, has been disconnected. The new number for the 'Greatest Hits of the '60s, '70s and '80s' is 103".

How much playlist overlap was there between WODS and WMKK? I can't see the average Mike listener being happy with the music mix on WODS -- no '90s at all and only token '80s representation. I can see a good portion of the Mike audience leaving radio entirely and turning to their iPods.

With time (not sure when) maybe WODS will start adding the 90s...some 80s tunes may have been on both stations. btw those who like DJ-less variety hits might notice Frank FM on the Cape, if they can pick it up

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom