• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WINS NYC Radio Air Checks from 9-11

FilioScotia

Leading Participant
These tapes are incredible. WINS has put 24 hours of airchecks from 9-11 online. They start at 8am New York time that day, and the first report of a crash at WTC comes in about 50 minutes into that tape.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/content-vertical/remembering-911/

Warning: they are absolutely mesmerizing. You won't be able to stop listening. Like the NYC police and fire fighters, our radio brothers and sisters at WINS did themselves proud that day.

I wish there was a way to listen to airchecks from Houston radio from that day. I was on my way to work that morning when it was happening and didn't find out until after I got there. I had the radio turned down for some reason and just oblivious to it. I was listening to KLOL that morning. Always wondered how they reported it.

***I wish there was a way to listen to airchecks from Houston radio from that day.***

As someone who was on the air in Houston that morning I can tell you that there was almost no effort made to cover that story locally -- by anybody.

Any station with access to a network went to their network for coverage. My station -- KUHF -- stayed live with NPR all day. Our local newscasts covered local reaction.

After all, what could a Houston station possibly have done to inform the public about New York, or Washington, or Shanksville PA? Besides that, who would have listened to a Houston station's efforts at long-distance coverage when all the radio and TV networks were live and on the scene?

rageradio said:
I wish there was a way to listen to airchecks from Houston radio from that day. I was on my way to work that morning when it was happening and didn't find out until after I got there. I had the radio turned down for some reason and just oblivious to it. I was listening to KLOL that morning. Always wondered how they reported it.

I turned on the radio at about 7:45 and heard Boner (Brian Shannon) say "if you're just getting up, we've had a situation in New York, a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center." Pruett jumped in with "DID YOU SEE THAT? ANOTHER PLANE CRASHED INTO THE OTHER TOWER! MY GOD!" I immediately turned on CNN, and had KTRH on going to work.

FilioScotia said:
These tapes are incredible. WINS has put 24 hours of airchecks from 9-11 online. They start at 8am New York time that day, and the first report of a crash at WTC comes in about 50 minutes into that tape.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/content-vertical/remembering-911/

Warning: they are absolutely mesmerizing. You won't be able to stop listening. Like the NYC police and fire fighters, our radio brothers and sisters at WINS did themselves proud that day.

I just listened to 3 hours of this audio. Thank you for posting it. It broke my heart to re-live this horrible event through the words of the people who lived there. Occasionally, you can hear the reporters choking back their tears. I even downloaded the first three hours, to someday show to my kids. Thank you again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom