• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will Entercom do with WVEI-AM

With WEEI moving to 93.7, what will Entercom do with WVEI-AM in Worcester? 93.7 certainly covers the Worcester area pretty well. IMHO, there is no longer any need for the AM simulcast. With the general consensus that AM is dead would anyone even want the station?

If it covers Worc. well maybe they'd try to get rid of the 1440...horrible night signal I'd guess

btw I wonder if WBOQ 104.9 Gloucester continues as a Sox affiliate (after this yr), as 93.7 covers
the North Shore more than adequately.

DavidZ said:
With WEEI moving to 93.7, what will Entercom do with WVEI-AM in Worcester? 93.7 certainly covers the Worcester area pretty well. IMHO, there is no longer any need for the AM simulcast. With the general consensus that AM is dead would anyone even want the station?

Except for Howie Carr (as long as he's on WRKO), a 1440 simulcast of 680 makes sense. Carr would probably not accept a demotion in signal from 830 to 1440, though. Substituting 1440 for 830 would kind of leave out MetroWest after sunset in the winter months (which was pretty much the whole idea behind the Carr simulcast on 830). But there must be syndicated stuff that Entercom could put on 1440 while Carr's show was running on 830. Then, of course, Carr turns into a pumpkin in about a year.

Might be a good idea, if they feel (what will become officially) WEEI-FM 93.7 can cover Worc. well.

A talk 1440 could have something like Jerry Doyle, live
Howie's contract is indeed up in the fall of 2012

@ dumber than a box of hair: That would be WZMX-FM 93.7, licensed to Hartford, transmitter on West Peak in Meriden, CT, owned by CBS Radio. Their sister station is WTIC-AM 1080 of Hartford, who has been the Red Sox station in greater Hartford for at least 50 years. WTIC-AM also carries University of Connecticut basketball (mens and womens), football and the New York Giants (as of this season). Occasionally, a U-Conn Huskies game will get moved to WTIC-FM 96.5 of Hartford. The Patriots are carried here by WCCC-FM 106.9 of Hartford, which is owned by Marlin Broadcasting, Inc.

I don't really see Entercom NEEDING to do anything with WVEI-AM. They own it outright, it's not worth much on the market these days, and it's cheap to run (no music royalty fees, no staff.) If it brings in just enough ad revenue to cover the costs of running the transmitter and paying the property taxes, there's no reason to do anything with it. Plus, it'll still give a more consistent signal over Worcester than 93.7 Lawrence will, especially as you start heading out west of the city where you run into co-channel WZMX.

I'd be shocked if Carr has veto rights on that. He'll bitch and moan, but I don't think he could stop it.

DanStrassberg said:
Carr would probably not accept a demotion in signal from 830 to 1440, though.

KML-224 said:
The Patriots are carried here by WCCC-FM 106.9 of Hartford, which is owned by Marlin Broadcasting, Inc.

And -- somewhat redundantly from Hartford north -- by WAQY 102.1 Springfield. WAQY puts in a very satisfactory signal south of Hartford as well, even in places like Southington and Meriden, right in the shadow of WCCC-FM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom