• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dallas getting another country station

sdh483

Star Participant
Dallas's KEGL is flipping to country soon.

Not counting 97.1 (poor signal in the city), do you think Houston should have a third country station?

No country as a whole the last few yrs has not been doing to well

While a flip of KEGL was not unexpected, the choice of Country most certainly was.

DFW already has Country formats on KSCS and KPLX, which have both fallen under Cumulus ownership. The Clear Channel move is obviously intended to damage a business competitor (perhaps killing the format on one of the stations) and to broaden CC's sales appeal amongst its five FM's in the market.

DFW also has Country formats on rimshots KTFW, KHYI, and KFWR nibbling away at the audience, which is why adding "The Bull" was surprising.

Demographic change, particularly in the Houston market, does not favor Country radio. We already have a three-way battle amongst KKBQ, KTHT, and KILT-FM, with KVST and KTWL chomping at the edges. Another competitor would kill one of the existing stations. CC only has three FM's here, and 93.7 would be the only choice for any new Country format. And CC would be going after an outright kill of CBS's KILT-FM. We can all see a big possibility of a flip of KKRW, but a Country format is extremely unlikely...93.7 could very well be the loser in such a battle.

One interesting similarity: If an existing Country format is killed off in either market, SportsTalk on FM might be the likely replacement. Cumulus has the highly successful KTCK in DFW which could move to FM (yes I know about KTDK but it is a rimshot with limited coverage) while CBS could put its successful SportsTalk 610 on 100.3 in Houston. CBS already has a FM SportsTalk format in DFW on KRLD-FM.

Odds are That KKRW might flip to Sports, carrying SportsTalk 790's lineup; The Astros could move on over to 93.7, And I think The Eagle would become The only choice for Classic Rock in Houston on two frequencies: 107-5 & now, 106-9.

I just dont see sports on 93.7 happening. Is 2 sports stations on FM really necessary? I think it's more than covered with what we have now.

Sports on 93.7 would mean the death of 97.5's current programming and allow Cumulus to put the Journey format there.

Troy Goodwin said:
Odds are That KKRW might flip to Sports, carrying SportsTalk 790's lineup; The Astros could move on over to 93.7, And I think The Eagle would become The only choice for Classic Rock in Houston on two frequencies: 107-5 & now, 106-9.

740 will go to FM before 790 is even considered.

Not going to happen. Mind games. Brilliant too. Cumulus is a bigger threat to CC than to CBS in Dallas but on the surface would appear that CBS would have more to gain by flipping a stick Country.

CC probably just sending a message - Don't F with KISS FM or we will F with KPLX. (my guess that CC thinking i93 would move to the 96.3 freq to give full market strength signal and put an actual dent in KISS ratings. Cumulus guessing they could move KSCS staff to 93.3 and still have the Country audience owned.)

sdh483 said:
Not counting 97.1 (poor signal in the city), do you think Houston should have a third country station?

Yup. Clone Austin's 98.1 KVET.

Do a ballsy mix of retro outlaw country, Texas country and the cooler Nashville stuff. Willie Nelson, Steve Earle, Stoney LaRue, Eli Young Band, Robert Earl Keen, Zac Brown, Miranda Lambert, Waylon Jennings, Toby Keith, etc.

Would it set the world on fire? Nope, but I do think it could outperform many of the formats on the eastern rimshots, and it would be more compatible with their coverage maps than the formats on them now.

It would give listeners an alternative to the Nashville country battle.

Looks like it was all a hoax. KEGL's Facebook page states that they are not flipping to country. The domain that was registered for "The Bull" is no longer in service. Still doesn't mean we can't continue discussing weather or not we can hold a third country station in the Houston area (not a crummy rimshot signal).

jasondm4 said:
I just dont see sports on 93.7 happening. Is 2 sports stations on FM really necessary?

Are four sports stations in a single market necessary?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom