• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston needs a Old School Station like 94.5 in Dallas

willdav713

Star Participant
Since Radio One (owner of KMJQ Majic 102.1) flipped Dallas' KSOC 94.5 K-Soul from Urban AC to Urban Oldies. Do you think they will flip KMJQ to Urban Oldies as Old School 102.1? After all that station has been an Urban format since 1977. Or on 92.1?

I think if they did that it would do really well, and get better ratings than then KTJM's old format.

That would fill in a huge void in Houston radio.

Neither will flip. However, I agree with you. A second urban with an oldies leaning format could work here and give KMJQ some competition. A double threat would be to start both an urban AC and urban rhythmic to go after both Radio One's stations.

Opportunities arise but probably won't happen given the stale state of Houston radio.

It may not happen, but that format would be successful here.

In fact, this sort of new urban format would work: Dayparted from AC in midday to mainstream in the evening, slow jams in late nights, and Urban Oldies program on the weekend (mainly Sunday afternoon). Money Maker!!!

A station that played 70% rap hiphop R&B 88 to 02 would rule here it would knock off crappy kbxx 106.9 would be good frequency for this

92.1 would be the logical place for Urban Oldies, but, despite some recent decline in numbers, the Praise format isn't going anywhere unless Radio One sinks into more financial trouble and has to sell the station. KROI is basically the African-American answer to KSBJ, with a loyal audience that doesn't listen to anything else.

willdav713 said:
Since Radio One (owner of KMJQ Majic 102.1) flipped Dallas' KSOC 94.5 K-Soul from Urban AC to Urban Oldies. Do you think they will flip KMJQ to Urban Oldies as Old School 102.1? After all that station has been an Urban format since 1977.

Umm...you're kidding, right? There's no chance KMJQ will go anywhere anytime soon as it's one of Radio One's most successful stations. If things haven't changed much since PPM started, KMJQ is more successful than KBXX in terms of the audience it generates if not the audience size. KMJQ does very well 25-54, and that's what brings in the bulk of Radio One's revenue.

Or on 92.1?

92.1 would be a more logical choice to flip, but I can't see it happening there either since an old school format would cause the most damage to KMJQ. The only way I could see Radio One making a flip to old school at 92.1 would be as a pre-emptive strike against another company doing it. Otherwise, making a change like that wouldn't serve any purpose.

DJboutit3 said:
A station that played 70% rap hiphop R&B 88 to 02 would rule here it would knock off crappy kbxx 106.9 would be good frequency for this

I wouldn't bank on any 106.9 changing anytime soon. 107.5 went from a 2.8 to a 4.1 P6+ when they added 106.9, blowing past their format competitor 93.7 who has been flat at a 3.0 for the last three books.

Cox is marketing this combo to the advertising community as the radio station with the biggest coverage in Texas. They have a coverage map that shows the combined signals as one.

Given the fact that this combo is doing exactly what Cox wanted it to do, I think you guys can drop the fantasy of a 106.9 flip now.

radiogooroo said:
DJboutit3 said:

I wouldn't bank on any 106.9 changing anytime soon. 107.5 went from a 2.8 to a 4.1 P6+ when they added 106.9, blowing past their format competitor 93.7 who has been flat at a 3.0 for the last three books.

Cox is marketing this combo to the advertising community as the radio station with the biggest coverage in Texas. They have a coverage map that shows the combined signals as one.

Given the fact that this combo is doing exactly what Cox wanted it to do, I think you guys can drop the fantasy of a 106.9 flip now.

Good for them...I'm still not listening. I'd rather listen to The Aarow.

There are other choices on the radio dial although limited. KTSU-FM (Texas Southern Univ.) does classic soul & old school all day Fridays and Saturdays, and KCOH-AM does the same weekday afternoons and evenings, and most of Saturday.

I agree, check out KCOH and KTSU on Fridays and Saturdays, these two stations are in an Old School battle every weekend!

Remeber Cumulus had Power 97.5. First it was Rhythmic or Mainstream and then it flipped to Urban AC. Was it the signal that caused the station to flip?

97.5 was mostly r&b and hardly any rap hiphop

wdb2003 said:
Remeber Cumulus had Power 97.5. First it was Rhythmic or Mainstream and then it flipped to Urban AC. Was it the signal that caused the station to flip?

Unfortunately, yes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom