• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SBS TO BUY A RADIO

latino2008

Inactive
Inactive User
Hearing from a good source that before the end of 2011 SBS will purchase a full power fm station. I know all stations are for sale for the right $ but who needs it the most at this time?? Would Univision or Cbs sell?

latino2008 said:
Hearing from a good source that before the end of 2011 SBS will purchase a full power fm station. I know all stations are for sale for the right $ but who needs it the most at this time?? Would Univision or Cbs sell?

Univision and CBS aren't going to sell anything in the Houston market.

SBS is currently in the process of buying KTBU Channel 55. I could see SBS going after one or both of the Cumulus rimshots (97.5, 103.7) as potential radio partners of the TV operation. However, I think the market is currently at the saturation point for Spanish language radio, and additional stations (especially rimshots) would perform poorly. Don't forget that the most recent effort at a completely "new" Spanish language station, "La Mera Mera 92.1" was a flop.

If Radio One's money problems continue, they might unload 92.1. But I don't see any other possibilities in the market right now, unless Cumulus pulls a shocker and puts KRBE on the block. In that case, everyone would be in the bidding war.

SBS to buy a radio? You mean they don't have one already? My "good source" tells me I need to quit looking at threads you start. Geez.

latino2008 said:

You mean Univision. SBS has been Univision for quite some time. They are going to purchase KHPT 106.9 from Cox. That is why they are simulcasting the Eagle right now. The station will flip to Regional Mexican after sale (10th Station unless 106.5 signs off for FM) by Fall of 2011. If rumor has it, 106.5 will go dark and 106.9 will replace 106.5

willdav713 said:
latino2008 said:

You mean Univision. SBS has been Univision for quite some time. They are going to purchase KHPT 106.9 from Cox. That is why they are simulcasting the Eagle right now. The station will flip to Regional Mexican after sale (10th Station unless 106.5 signs off for FM) by Fall of 2011. If rumor has it, 106.5 will go dark and 106.9 will replace 106.5

SBS is a totally different company than Univision; SBS has had issues like a potential NASDAQ delisting and it's improbable that they buy any radio stations. While SBS has expanded its Mega TV operation, they are buying relatively low cost LPTV facilities that get them on the cable...

Univision recently spent millions upgrading 106.5 and it is a much better signal than 106.9 as witnessed by its very big ratings over the last few years.

Univision can not add a station; it has the market limit for radio and TV.

Identnut said:
SBS tried markets in Texas, but with bad results. I'd doubt they'd try again.

They had mostly terrible signals, so well programmed or not, they could not win.

OTOH, SBS is buying second and third tier TV outlets to expand Mega TV.

DavidEduardo said:
Univision recently spent millions upgrading 106.5 and it is a much better signal than 106.9 as witnessed by its very big ratings over the last few years.

That is not completely accurate. 106.5 and 106.9 are roughly comparable signals. Both are Class Cs at similar heights with only a minor difference in power.

Also, considering that these stations are in different languages and are programmed with varying skill to completely different audiences, I am not sure that the ratings witness to the superiority of one signal over the other.

Consider downtown, which is centrally located: 106.5 's antenna is 35.06 miles away and puts a 74.6 dBu contour over the area, while 106.9 is 35.40 miles away with a 74.1 dBu . That is remarkable close, but from opposite ends of the metro. 106.9 even has a small advantage when fighting interference, considering that there is an ocean on the side of the market where it is weakest.

It's really a toss up regarding which signal is better, but if one is better, it is only marginal at best.

DavidEduardo said:
willdav713 said:
latino2008 said:

My bad, I got Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation HBC mixed up with SBS. HBC was owned by Techinor, Univision acquired HBC.

SBS is a totally different company than Univision; SBS has had issues like a potential NASDAQ delisting and it's improbable that they buy any radio stations. While SBS has expanded its Mega TV operation, they are buying relatively low cost LPTV facilities that get them on the cable...

Univision can not add a station; it has the market limit for radio and TV.

I thought they could add 1 more FM, or dump 1 FM for another FM. (ie 106.5 for 106.9)

willdav713 said:
latino2008 said:

Proof?

willdav713 said:
I thought they could add 1 more FM, or dump 1 FM for another FM. (ie 106.5 for 106.9)

Why would they dump 106.5? If what you are saying is true, then Univision has better options to dump. KPTY 105.3 comes to mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom