Bob Raleigh...anyone know?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Raleigh...anyone know?

68RKO

Bob Raleigh...anyone know?

Since Bob Raleigh retired from WBZ....seems like no one has seen or heard from him.

I don't think he fraternized with too many people from the business, and when he left the air, no one seem to have heard from him again.

I'm guessing at his age, he is probably not Facebook savvy, etc.

Was anyone friendly with him?

Anyone know what he's up to?

Re: Bob Raleigh...anyone know?

I think he's still in the area. But he may have moved, to be closer to family?
    Last I heard he didn't respond to BZ producer's calls/mail. May be a privacy thing.

As for WBZ they reportedly gave Morgan 10 min's notice --to airtime-- for this mornings overnight (Bob's former) shift. Yikes.

CAPECRUSADER

Bob was, by far the best overnight talent...okay, tied with Larry Glick (when he did overnights)

Quote Originally Posted by CAPECRUSADER
    Bob was, by far the best overnight talent...okay, tied with Larry Glick (when he did overnights)
    + 1000

HERE IS A HISTORICAL CLIP I WAS AN OCCASIONAL VOICE GUY FOR BOB THIS WAS AN HOUR BEFORE THE LAUNCH OF THE CHALLENGER JAN 28TH 1986
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-b8yyLihvM

Bob was awesome, the perfect guy for overnights. I grew up listening to him and was a huge fan and frequent trivia caller. I loved receiving WBZ pens when I won, it was a huge deal for 12-year-old me. I once dragged my mother with me to a softball game to meet him and I think I have an autographed photo of him somewhere in my collection. The whole thing where he got shuffled off to do traffic reports was so sad. His show, along with all the other great shows from WBZ in that era, are the biggest reasons I fell in love with radio and work in it today.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    Bob was awesome, the perfect guy for overnights. I grew up listening to him and was a huge fan and frequent trivia caller. I loved receiving WBZ pens when I won, it was a huge deal for 12-year-old me. I once dragged my mother with me to a softball game to meet him and I think I have an autographed photo of him somewhere in my collection. The whole thing where he got shuffled off to do traffic reports was so sad. His show, along with all the other great shows from WBZ in that era, are the biggest reasons I fell in love with radio and work in it today.
    I remember those traffic reports Bob used to do during AM drive on "Maynard In The Morning". The audio was so freakin' tinny. No high-quality, equalized phone line; probably some two-way, phase modulated transceiver.

Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post

I remember those traffic reports Bob used to do during AM drive on "Maynard In The Morning". The audio was so freakin' tinny. No high-quality, equalized phone line; probably some two-way, phase modulated transceiver.
    I think he did them on a walkie-talkie if I recall....

He worked right up until his retirement age of 65....and left on his own (a rarity).

He must have had some bad dealings with Westinghouse, because when he left, he mentioned to some that he wanted no part in reunions, promotions, guest hosting or remembrances...and it looks like he is abiding by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    I think he did them on a walkie-talkie if I recall....

back in the early 90's I used to hear the traffic service at the time feed their reports from the helicopters and planes to the stations on 450.112 mhz, you'd also hear the various reporters using different names for different stations. When they were not feeding the stations there was interesting chatter going on.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    back in the early 90's I used to hear the traffic service at the time feed their reports from the helicopters and planes to the stations on 450.112 mhz, you'd also hear the various reporters using different names for different stations. When they were not feeding the stations there was interesting chatter going on.
    I used to listen to those channels on a scanner back then. Sometimes you could hear about incidents or conditions before they would make it to the air, or situations in secondary areas (that I happened to be driving in) that weren't considered priority enough to make it to the air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast