• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Stevie Nicks album on Classic Rock?

Do you think classic rock stations will or should add Stevie Nicks' new album? I just bought a copy and like it. But where would I hear it? Would new music by a established act fit in a classic rock format?

The short answer is no, and the long answer is it depends. For the last few years, Classic Rock stations have largely avoided playing new stuff by the core artists, though there are exceptions. The format is so tightly programmed in many markets that anything untested and new (even by the Stones, Bruce, Tom Petty etc.) is considered too risky to play. Some stations DO play the stuff, though. I've noticed on Sirius "Classic Rewind," they will sometimes spotlight some new tracks by core artists -- usually as part of some co-promote -- by using an image liner "it doesn't have to be old to be classic."
By and large, though, the format on terrestial radio is song-driven, not artist-driven.

jimbo said:
Do you think classic rock stations will or should add Stevie Nicks' new album? I just bought a copy and like it. But where would I hear it? Would new music by a established act fit in a classic rock format?

It should but only if it is in the Classic Rock style and by a (previous) CR artist or group. Over the years I don't think I've heard many new songs by CR artists but it wouldn't be any different than a CR station playing 'unknown' or less popular tracks by established CR artists and many do that.

OldNumber7 said:
By and large, though, the format on terrestial radio is song-driven, not artist-driven.

While there may be exceptions, that applies to pretty much all radio formats. Great songs make great radio.

The Classic Vinyl channel on Sirius played cuts from a recent Bruce Springsteen album. I have not heard them playing cuts from "In Your Dreams". I hope it does well but Nicks has said "The music business is in a terrible place. There's no money, and the Internet piracy is taking over."

While I made a point to buy a MP3 download from Amazon I really believe the recording industry shot themselves in the foot with their stubborn refusal to adapt to the digital reality of MP3. They have finally embraced the download model but way too late. The Usenet groups already have two complete copies of the album in six different groups.

KSEG here is Sacramento usually plays new music by classic rock artists.I think they should.I don't know where else in some markets you might hear it.In Sac not many places on the dial would.Even the two classic hits stations don't play songs by artists that make up there play list.

Years ago, while at WBGB (BIG-106.5) in Jacksonville, FL, we carried Westwood One's "Adult R&R" format. Once per daypart, a new track from a core artist was aired just before the :50 stopset. I liked the concept that WW1 & Jeff Gonzer offered. As a matter of fact, we were all over "Smooth" by Santana (f Rob Thomas) way before CHR stations picked it up.

Some time later, at WCIB (Cool 102) - Cape Cod, we did a similar concept and Stevie Nicks happened to be one of the artists that had new music that fit the texture of the station.

When Chubby Checker, Gary US Bonds, Tina Turner, and Ronnie Spector Charted in the 80's Oldies radio didn't play them. Having said that , some oldies stations do play a few things from "Grease". And occasionally they will play on a one-time basis a few current covers example Cliff Richard - "Daddy's Home", Honey dippers - "Sea Of Love" etc.

Some Classic Country Stations will play current covers of classic hits because they happen so frequently..Alan Jackson - "Pop a Top", Rodney Crowell - "Above and Beyond", Ricky Van Shelton -Statue of a Fool, George Strait -Honky Tonkin', and country covers are usually very true to the original arrangement...Classic Rock covers usually have a little modern sound to the arrangement..Lenny Kravitz -American Woman, Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

I listen to some Classic Rock, and I don't recall hearing new music by a core artist, they might give things like "Smooth" a spin or two because It was such a monster and Carlos is an Icon. And since the song is from 1999, it may be approaching Classic Hit Age??

A/C -Standards Stations will play every cover that hits the stands..Buble, Connick, Rod Stewart,
KD Lang, Rene Olstead and that works really great for me. And they will play some current material by core artists.

With the exception of Classic Country and Standards Stations.., My personal taste, I would prefer not to hear current music by core artists, thats what CHR radio is for...and the biggest reason that I truly enjoy Country Classic covers, is what I mentioned earlier they are true to the original arrangement, it's like discovering digital re-masters of old 78's....

Rather than start a new thread, I decided to put this statement here. This is from the band's Facebook page, October 27 2013:

"Fleetwood Mac, who has just completed the European leg of their phenomenally successful worldwide tour, has announced the cancellation of their upcoming 14-date tour of Australia and New Zealand. John McVie, one of the co-founding and original members of Fleetwood Mac, is now scheduled to be in treatment for cancer during that period of time. We are sorry to not be able to play these Australian and New Zealand dates. We hope our Australian and New Zealand fans as well as Fleetwood Mac fans everywhere will join us in wishing John and his family all the best."

"Pretty Little Lie" by Blackberry Smoke ought to be on classic rock radio. It has the right sound. it just sounds strange on "country" radio.

When Chubby Checker, Gary US Bonds, Tina Turner, and Ronnie Spector Charted in the 80's Oldies radio didn't play them. Having said that , some oldies stations do play a few things from "Grease". And occasionally they will play on a one-time basis a few current covers example Cliff Richard - "Daddy's Home", Honey dippers - "Sea Of Love" etc.

Some Classic Country Stations will play current covers of classic hits because they happen so frequently..Alan Jackson - "Pop a Top", Rodney Crowell - "Above and Beyond", Ricky Van Shelton -Statue of a Fool, George Strait -Honky Tonkin', and country covers are usually very true to the original arrangement...Classic Rock covers usually have a little modern sound to the arrangement..Lenny Kravitz -American Woman, Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

I listen to some Classic Rock, and I don't recall hearing new music by a core artist, they might give things like "Smooth" a spin or two because It was such a monster and Carlos is an Icon. And since the song is from 1999, it may be approaching Classic Hit Age??

A/C -Standards Stations will play every cover that hits the stands..Buble, Connick, Rod Stewart,
KD Lang, Rene Olstead and that works really great for me. And they will play some current material by core artists.

With the exception of Classic Country and Standards Stations.., My personal taste, I would prefer not to hear current music by core artists, thats what CHR radio is for...and the biggest reason that I truly enjoy Country Classic covers, is what I mentioned earlier they are true to the original arrangement, it's like discovering digital re-masters of old 78's....

(Digging up an old thread that interests me!)

Why shouldn't a new artist (or old artist who didn't have any hits back in the day) not also have his new recordings included on a classic rock format station so long as the overall sound of the song is clearly "classic"? You're right about A/C. Though dominated by artists like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc., they also play new songs by Michael Bublé or Harry Connick, Jr.? Much of their music sounds like it could have been recorded in the 1950's, except for superior technical quality.

So, why shouldn't a station that plays the classic rock genre of music not include new songs that have the same sound and vibe as classic rock recorded in the classic rock era? And of course, it goes without saying that you don't just throw any old song out there in high rotation.

Last edited:
So, why shouldn't a station that plays the classic rock genre of music not include new songs that have the same sound and vibe as classic rock recorded in the classic rock era? And of course, it goes without saying that you don't just throw any old song out there in high rotation.

That presupposes that just because the artist is the same that the context or the production remains the same. Not always the case. One thing older artists try to do is reinvent themselves to remain relevant, so they're not simply resinging in the sound of old songs.

But the real answer is that what you want is a different format. Radio formats are built around SONGS, not artists. Radio is a song medium. So the classic rock format is playing songs from a particular era. People tune in expecting to hear those songs, not new songs. If Stevie releases a single from the new project, there are other formats that include current music, like AAA or AC where the song could fit.

Radio is a song medium.

Radio is a medium through which sound is transmitted to receivers where the sound can be heard. The suits who run radio stations can put whatever they want over the air that attracts a listening audience that can be rented to advertisers. The fact that most radio station suits lack imagination and substitute slavishly following trends for independent, creative thinking doesn't mean that independent, creative thinking is not permitted.

The fact that most radio station suits lack imagination and substitute slavishly following trends for independent, creative thinking doesn't mean that independent, creative thinking is not permitted.

Radio doesn't focus on songs for their own purposes. They focus on songs because it's what listeners seem to want. The history of radio is filled with one-hit-wonders. It's not that those artists stopped recording music. It's that the audience stopped responding to them. When radio stations have attempted to present independent, creative formats, they've failed due to lack of focus. I don't know about you, but I like to eat. The way I pay for my food is by making decisions in radio that succeed. I have a very vivid and creative imagination, and I'm always thinking of new formats and approaches. But at the end of the day, my dinner gets paid for by playing the hits. If your dinner depended on it, you'd do the exact same thing. But it doesn't, so you're a critic.

So the classic rock format is playing songs from a particular era. People tune in expecting to hear those songs, not new songs. If Stevie releases a single from the new project, there are other formats that include current music, like AAA or AC where the song could fit.

It could, but doesn't have to. Classic Rock is a sound, not an era (although most CR songs were produced during a certain time period). If I tune into CR expecting to hear a certain sound it wouldn't bother me much to hear a song from last year as long as it fit the sound. I would never tune in an AAA or AC station hoping I would hear a new CR song.

It could, but doesn't have to. Classic Rock is a sound, not an era (although most CR songs were produced during a certain time period). If I tune into CR expecting to hear a certain sound it wouldn't bother me much to hear a song from last year as long as it fit the sound. I would never tune in an AAA or AC station hoping I would hear a new CR song.

Exactly! However, I would submit that the line between AAA and classic rock is sketched with chalk, not inscribed with ink. It can be a little blurry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom