• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What qualifies as "Hot Talk" - and don't say "being topless"

I guess it can be summarized as being non-political “lifestyle” talk. It often includes sexually titillating subjects meant to attract young males. But it’s probably one of those things that if you ask ten people you’ll get at least eleven different answers.

Re guys like Stern, Leykis, NJ 101.5, WTKS, etc:

Don't call it Hot Talk.

Call it talk.

These guys, and those like them are the real mainstream of spoken-word radio. It's "Rush and his ten thousand clones" who are the fringe format...

No, KC1IH hit the nail on the head. Stern/Leykis/et al are "Hot Talk" and political talk is regular talk.

jimwalsh2001 said:
It's "Rush and his ten thousand clones" who are the fringe format...

The ratings & overall success say otherwise, my friend....

G

LIke much of our descriptive stuff, it means whatever the PD wants it to depending on who he is trying to impress/influence.

jimwalsh2001 said:
Not unless you define 65+ as mainstream...

Really? Thank you for adding nothing to the conversation.

G

"HOT TALK"

Simply put 18-49 male driven non-topic driven to sell beer and strip clubs LOL.
The heyday was the Stern/Lykis era. Pretty much left in the dust and repackaged as Sports Talk.

Off topic, Dr. Daliah, it seems your show has moved to add M-F Noon-15:00. Congratulations!

I would not call NJ 101.5 "hot talk." After the success of Howard Stern syndicated in morning drive, many stations that carried him (or competed with him) wanted other hosts to do the same act. Just like after the success of Rush, many stations wanted other hosts to do that act. As mentioned, hot talk is mostly gone. NJ 101.5 - lifestyle talk, or water-cooler talk - pretty much stands alone.
If the show does not have a major sex component, it's not hot talk.

Re guys like Stern, Leykis, NJ 101.5, WTKS, etc:

Don't call it Hot Talk.

Call it talk.

These guys, and those like them are the real mainstream of spoken-word radio. It's "Rush and his ten thousand clones" who are the fringe format...

Did someone say Rush? Is someone here one of his paid callers? :)

If the show does not have a major sex component, it's not hot talk.

Hot talk (besides Stern, who can't get past the 1980s) isn't all about sex anymore. O&A hardly ever do anything sexual related anymore. Strippers and midgets is out. Goofing on pop culture is in. If you do it in an edgy manner, you're hot talk.

I would throw "The Don & Mike Show" in there as well. Those cats had some of the funniest stuff I've heard on radio.

I would throw "The Don & Mike Show" in there as well. Those cats had some of the funniest stuff I've heard on radio.

Bump. Seriously. paintyourbaldspot.com

That is not some plug. That is all of an education of what is and what was hot talk radio through the 90's to 2008 (death). Don Geronimo and Mike O'Meara were the last two big time nationally syndicated "hot talk" host to go, and they actually covered it all right there on the show day to day, they feuded with O and A and Howard AND Larry King. Even gave Larry one of his many heart attacks.

Last edited:
Bump. Seriously. paintyourbaldspot.com

That is not some plug. That is all of an education of what is and what was hot talk radio through the 90's to 2008 (death). Don Geronimo and Mike O'Meara were the last two big time nationally syndicated "hot talk" host to go, and they actually covered it all right there on the show day to day, they feuded with O and A and Howard AND Larry King. Even gave Larry one of his many heart attacks.

Yeah, Don and Mike certainly count as Hot Talk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom