• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Cuts At Univision: Recuerdo, Kalle & Research Unit

From the www.Radio-info.com afternoon News page dated 4/6/2011:
http://www.radio-info.com/news/big-...lized-recuerdo-format-kalle-and-research-unit

One of the people laid off from Univision's SIP internal research division (which was completely shut down) is EVP David Gleason, known on many of these forums as poster "David Eduardo". Best wishes to him and all those who lost their jobs, not only in this instance but throughout the industry & throughout the country during these tough economic times.

pjc1961 said:
From the www.Radio-info.com afternoon News page dated 4/6/2011:
http://www.radio-info.com/news/big-...lized-recuerdo-format-kalle-and-research-unit

One of the people laid off from Univision's SIP internal research division (which was completely shut down) is EVP David Gleason, known on many of these forums as poster "David Eduardo". Best wishes to him and all those who lost their jobs, not only in this instance but throughout the industry & throughout the country during these tough economic times.

It's getting to where it is hard to say "radio" and smile at the same time.

Thanks for the thought; I'm in excellent shape but that only makes it all the more worrisome that very few radio veterans can say that. I see many dear friends and excellent people who have been caught up in the economy, changing media usage and the fickleness of fate (or Arbitron) and its sad.

David, I don't know you personally but feel as though I do via all your posts on this forum. I wish you all the best during these tough times. I also would like to publicly thank you immensely for your web site. It is a goldmine of radio history for geeks like me. I am no longer in radio, but do keep in touch with all my friends in the business.

David Eduardo Gleason was the most competent radio mind that Univision had.What is there left?. They are left with Pedro Javier who is still trying to bring up the numbers at WXNY but is not competent enough to achieve it. Mega 97.9 is still kicking their butt in the Big Apple.

I'll add to the growing list of those expressing the very best wishes for our R-I colleague, David Eduardo Gleason.

His contributions to these forums have been educational, thought-provoking and entertaining. David's knowledge and passion for radio is self-evident and his love for the history of the medium is clear with his remarkable website:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com

From Cleveland to Quito (and a vast number of other places), you sir have both seen and done it all. And we look forward to what lies ahead in your next adventure. In other words, you're still way too young to rest on those laurels! :)

Let's just face it... David is the best!

It is unfortunate that he is no longer there. Recuerdo will not be the same without David (for heaven sacks, he created it), and neither will many stations that he assisted. He was involved in KLVE's success, as well as the many projects and stations we put on the air together at Heftel, HBC, Univision.

Heck, remember the days we would just talk on the phone David when I was at my first PD gig at KSUV-Bakersfield, while you were the VP-Programming at KHJ (Radio Alegría)?

What I know in this industry is thanks to David. As a friend, he is wonderful man, and as a Programmer/Operator/Research/Director he is a genius (a freakin' genius).

I've never been in radio and am one of those odd bird hangers-on that still exists in this day and age, and I can honestly say I'm shocked that someone with David's knowledge and experience could be considered expendable today.

Mr Gleason, I hope you land softly and come out better in the long run.

KILOCYCLES said:
David Eduardo Gleason was the most competent radio mind that Univision had.What is there left?. They are left with Pedro Javier who is still trying to bring up the numbers at WXNY but is not competent enough to achieve it. Mega 97.9 is still kicking their butt in the Big Apple.

Thanks for the compliment, sincerely.

But I have to say that Pedro Javier is among a small group of really good programmers (another of whom posted a bit earlier in this thread) I've worked with in recent years. He was a critical part of the second phase of my involvement with the Salsoul network in Puerto Rico, keeping us #1 for 22 years in market 13... and X 96.3 has passed WSKQ at various points in the recent weeklies.

David..you know very well that programming in Puerto Rico and programming in the States with its diverse Hispanic populations are two different things all together. Overall he hasn't been able to surpass Mega even with Luis Jimenez there. In Miami Clear Channel is really kicking him all over the place. Is that what you call a great programmer?, WOW. The supremacy that Univision had for many years in Miami was killed by Pedro Javier. Pedro was not at Salsoul for 22 years, he was there a handful of years and Salsoul was already a well established radio entity with a very strong personality driven format mostly put together by you and the late Junior Soto, all Pedro did was water the green pastures that you left. You are good to your friends I guess....

DavidEduardo said:
KILOCYCLES said:

But I have to say that Pedro Javier is among a small group of really good programmers (another of whom posted a bit earlier in this thread) I've worked with in recent years. He was a critical part of the second phase of my involvement with the Salsoul network in Puerto Rico, keeping us #1 for 22 years in market 13... and X 96.3 has passed WSKQ at various points in the recent weeklies.

KILOCYCLES said:
David..you know very well that programming in Puerto Rico and programming in the States with its diverse Hispanic populations are two different things all together. Overall he hasn't been able to surpass Mega even with Luis Jimenez there. In Miami Clear Channel is really kicking him all over the place. Is that what you call a great programmer?, WOW. The supremacy that Univision had for many years in Miami was killed by Pedro Javier. Pedro was not at Salsoul for 22 years, he was there a handful of years and Salsoul was already a well established radio entity with a very strong personality driven format mostly put together by you and the late Junior Soto, all Pedro did was water the green pastures that you left. You are good to your friends I guess....

DavidEduardo said:
KILOCYCLES said:

KILOCYCLES said:
David..you know very well that programming in Puerto Rico and programming in the States with its diverse Hispanic populations are two different things all together.

Every time I hear that "this market is different from those other markets" I know I am reasoning against illogical stereotypes. I heard that same argument in Argentina, right up to when we got a 22 share after 6 weeks on the air...

The difference in Puerto Rico that makes it unlike New York or Miami is that 100% of the population is Hispanic and Spanish speaking.

A format that gets a 3 share in Puerto Rico might get a 0.3 in New York, just based on pure math and with no analysis of any other factor. And the format that might get a 4 in New York might only get a 3 in PR, because perhaps the format is so mass appeal that in PR, there are 6 or 7 variants of the same format because there is opportunity for more than one station.

The New York population and the Miami population in the sales demos is mostly of Caribbean basin heritage, with considerable commonality and really no more diverse than the comparable targets of region, income level, etc. that the 120 stations that exist in Puerto Rico have to face.

Even NY, which has a significant Mexican community, could be compared with PR and its Dominican community which has its own radio format on the Island.

Overall he hasn't been able to surpass Mega even with Luis Jimenez there.

As you may have noted, morning talk shows have been hammered by PPM. First, the daypart is no longer the most important and the large TSL of these shows in all languages has been hurt. Luis is improving his position even though he and the station went through a year with no ratings access and analysis.

WSKQ and X 96.3 are at present flip-flopping in the critical sales demos. Neither station is "getting its butt kicked."

In Miami Clear Channel is really kicking him all over the place. Is that what you call a great programmer?

WRTO is #1 in the younger half, WAMR is dominating in 35-64. CC has only one well performing station in Spanish, while the other is a laggard.

And Miami not only was without ratings for a year, the stations in question were not encoded so there was no measure of the competition. With ratings, both responded very well and should be looked at as a case study in repositioning and winning.

Pedro was not at Salsoul for 22 years, he was there a handful of years and Salsoul was already a well established radio entity with a very strong personality driven format mostly put together by you and the late Junior Soto,

Pedro was the architect of the conversion to "a day full of morning shows" on Salsoul. Junior applied his unique and unequaled skills in finding and working with talent with the structure and concepts that mostly Pedro applied with my tidbits of help. Just as Fidelity massacred the other ACs, the talk based Salsoul retained the 12 to 13 shares that were under the threat of fragmentation otherwise.

all Pedro did was water the green pastures that you left. You are good to your friends I guess....

I did not leave it. Salsoul hit #1 in the October, 1985 book with a leap from 8th to 1st and it never left first the 20 years I was associated with it. In fact, Salsoul holds the Top 50 market record for consecutive books and years in #1.

I too have been enlightend by, and thoroughly enjoy David's posts. It's great to have such a knowledgable and candid radio executive share his insights on this forum. I had no idea he was in management at Univision, until I read the various posts. Thanks for sharing David, and wishing you the best. Much respect.

David...just released monthlies for March. Mega is #5 in the market. La X is # 12. Is this what you call a flip flop on sales demos?. From what my eyes can see it seems that every time La X moves up two tenths of a point Mega goes up almost a whole share. Pedro might have been an ace in the diary measured market in Puerto Rico, but certainly not in a competitive and electronically measured landscape like NYC. La X needs a programmer that can produce ear candy for the listeners and apparently Mega continues to be a great candy shop for N.Y. Latinos...La Mega se Pega.

DavidEduardo said:
KILOCYCLES said:
David..you know very well that programming in Puerto Rico and programming in the States with its diverse Hispanic populations are two different things all together.

Every time I hear that "this market is different from those other markets" I know I am reasoning against illogical stereotypes. I heard that same argument in Argentina, right up to when we got a 22 share after 6 weeks on the air...

The difference in Puerto Rico that makes it unlike New York or Miami is that 100% of the population is Hispanic and Spanish speaking.

A format that gets a 3 share in Puerto Rico might get a 0.3 in New York, just based on pure math and with no analysis of any other factor. And the format that might get a 4 in New York might only get a 3 in PR, because perhaps the format is so mass appeal that in PR, there are 6 or 7 variants of the same format because there is opportunity for more than one station.

The New York population and the Miami population in the sales demos is mostly of Caribbean basin heritage, with considerable commonality and really no more diverse than the comparable targets of region, income level, etc. that the 120 stations that exist in Puerto Rico have to face.

Even NY, which has a significant Mexican community, could be compared with PR and its Dominican community which has its own radio format on the Island.

Overall he hasn't been able to surpass Mega even with Luis Jimenez there.

As you may have noted, morning talk shows have been hammered by PPM. First, the daypart is no longer the most important and the large TSL of these shows in all languages has been hurt. Luis is improving his position even though he and the station went through a year with no ratings access and analysis.

WSKQ and X 96.3 are at present flip-flopping in the critical sales demos. Neither station is "getting its butt kicked."

In Miami Clear Channel is really kicking him all over the place. Is that what you call a great programmer?

WRTO is #1 in the younger half, WAMR is dominating in 35-64. CC has only one well performing station in Spanish, while the other is a laggard.

And Miami not only was without ratings for a year, the stations in question were not encoded so there was no measure of the competition. With ratings, both responded very well and should be looked at as a case study in repositioning and winning.

Pedro was not at Salsoul for 22 years, he was there a handful of years and Salsoul was already a well established radio entity with a very strong personality driven format mostly put together by you and the late Junior Soto,

Pedro was the architect of the conversion to "a day full of morning shows" on Salsoul. Junior applied his unique and unequaled skills in finding and working with talent with the structure and concepts that mostly Pedro applied with my tidbits of help. Just as Fidelity massacred the other ACs, the talk based Salsoul retained the 12 to 13 shares that were under the threat of fragmentation otherwise.

all Pedro did was water the green pastures that you left. You are good to your friends I guess....

I did not leave it. Salsoul hit #1 in the October, 1985 book with a leap from 8th to 1st and it never left first the 20 years I was associated with it. In fact, Salsoul holds the Top 50 market record for consecutive books and years in #1.

KILOCYCLES said:
David...just released monthlies for March. Mega is #5 in the market. La X is # 12. Is this what you call a flip flop on sales demos?. From what my eyes can see it seems that every time La X moves up two tenths of a point Mega goes up almost a whole share. Pedro might have been an ace in the diary measured market in Puerto Rico, but certainly not in a competitive and electronically measured landscape like NYC. La X needs a programmer that can produce ear candy for the listeners and apparently Mega continues to be a great candy shop for N.Y. Latinos...La Mega se Pega.

Pedro was the on-site PD for the launch of 96.3, under PPM. The results were astounding.

Miami was not encoded when PPM began, and when encoding started, the stations there needed adjustment. And that adjustment has yielded exceedingly good results. I'm betting WRTO takes 25-54 tomorrow, with WAMR and WMGE neck and neck...

Back to NY, in 25-54 the two are 0.5 apart. X wins mornings, then in the other 4 dayparts each "takes" two of them. Despite your efforts to awfulize the situation, there is a very tight race there. That usually means that both stations are pretty darn good.

In 25-54, both stations are in the top 10. Since the difference between 6th and 14th is just one share point, you can she how compressed the market is.

Any new station gets a lot of attention from the listeners and particularly in a market like NYC that has a very limited amount of Hispanic media. If your programming appeals to them they will stay, if they dislike what you have they leave. That's what happened at WXNY. Pedro miss the opportunity which will not repeat itself, unless Mega drops the ball royally.

DavidEduardo said:
KILOCYCLES said:

Pedro was the on-site PD for the launch of 96.3, under PPM. The results were astounding.

Miami was not encoded when PPM began, and when encoding started, the stations there needed adjustment. And that adjustment has yielded exceedingly good results. I'm betting WRTO takes 25-54 tomorrow, with WAMR and WMGE neck and neck...

Back to NY, in 25-54 the two are 0.5 apart. X wins mornings, then in the other 4 dayparts each "takes" two of them. Despite your efforts to awfulize the situation, there is a very tight race there. That usually means that both stations are pretty darn good.

In 25-54, both stations are in the top 10. Since the difference between 6th and 14th is just one share point, you can she how compressed the market is.

KILOCYCLES said:
Any new station gets a lot of attention from the listeners and particularly in a market like NYC that has a very limited amount of Hispanic media. If your programming appeals to them they will stay, if they dislike what you have they leave. That's what happened at WXNY. Pedro miss the opportunity which will not repeat itself, unless Mega drops the ball royally.

But in that period, Pedro was not the PD there... so you can say whatever you want about the very, very, very close numbers now... but you can't use this situation as part of what is very obviously an attempt to discredit one of the best programmers I have ever known (and I have known many).

Separate from this personal issue, you are just patently wrong in saying that a station automatically gets a lot of attention initially. In many situations where a particular listening group is narrowly served or underserved, it is very hard for a new station to overcome the heritage of older ones. Where we see lots of examples clearly over many years is in Urban and African American targeted facilities; knocking off the "king" is very hard, as can be seen by looking at markets like Atlanta and Dallas.

And in other cases, stations build slowly over time and as they fine tune a format.

But in a really significant percentage of cases, new formats, particularly frontal attacks, simply don't work (look at Sunny in Philly some years ago).

Omg Mr Eduardo im sorry to hear that about you sir. You are one of the best and Univision has lost you, they didnt get rid of you. They made a big mistake with letting you go. I wish you the best and dont forget about us here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom