• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DONAGHY-vs-VERCHER

TurboSparky

Inactive
Inactive User
Does anyone know the status of the lawsuit brought against Shawna Vercher's company (VTi Group, Inc.) by former NBA referee Tim Donaghy? It is in regards to his book, "Personal Foul."
Donaghy alleges that Vercher "misappropriated" money.
From August of 2010:
"Dear News Media,

As a direct result of the inappropriate conduct and actions of Ms. Shawna Vercher and/or her company, The VTi Group Inc. d/b/a VTi Media, as alleged in the attached Complaint, my client, Mr. Timothy Donaghy, has been left with no alternative except to seek his justice in the Circuit Court of the Sixth Judicial Circuit of Florida. This Complaint was served upon Ms. Vercher yesterday.

We had hoped to avoid this lawsuit since the United States Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of New York had inserted themselves into this matter by issuing subpoena duces tecums to the VTi Group and/or other vendors connected to the sale and distribution of the book. Unfortunately, based upon a review of the incomplete and limited materials provided by the VTi Group, Inc. in response to the subpoena duces tecum, it became readily apparent that most, if not all, of the revenues generated from the sale of the book known as “Personal Foul” had disappeared, and that the US Attorney’s Office was not going to help Mr. Donaghy protect or recover this money that was properly owed to him.

Based upon the investigation of this matter, it appears that Ms. Vercher and/or her business entity, The VTi Group, Inc., entered into a scheme to defraud Mr. Donaghy of his money so that Ms. Vercher could satisfy her personal & business debt obligations. Moreover, even after the termination of the business / contractual relationship, Ms. Vercher and/or her business entity, The VTi Group, Inc., engaged in a pattern of activity that was specifically designed to inflict emotional distress, pain and suffering upon Mr. Donaghy in an effort to discredit him so that Ms. Vercher and/or The VTi Group, Inc., could get away with the misappropriation of the money."

Source: tucsoncitizen.com

Also from August of 2010:
""I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the money is gone, because she doesn't have the ability to show anybody where it is," Donaghy's attorney, Nicholas Mooney, said yesterday.

Donaghy has been arguing for months that Vercher had ripped him off because she was refusing to show him where the book profits had gone. The first 10,000 copies of "Personal Foul," released in December, sold in a couple weeks, but he still hasn't seen any money.

But he's not the only one who claims to have been shafted by Vercher. Her brother, Benjamin Daniel, a former VTi project manager who left the company in January, also has filed a breach-of-contract suit against her.

"I was never paid for the work I did on Tim's book. I haven't seen a dime from it," Daniel told the Daily News this week.

Vercher did not respond yesterday to an e-mail and phone call seeking comment. She said in May that the book revenue is in a holding account and that VTi would tally the profits by July after the conclusion of the 180-day period during which vendors can return unsold copies.

"It's August," Daniel said, "and there's still not been an accounting.""
Source: philly.com

As she says on her appearances on WWBA's "Big Show" on Tuesdays and Fridays, from 7 a.m. - 9 a.m., "don't shoot the messenger."

The biggest quarrel I have with Ms. Vercher is that she tries to hide from brickbats from the right by declaring herself a "centrist" and that her positions on issues seem ill-formed and inchoate.

As for bringing up the lawsuit, it seems strange to make a victim out of a fellow who pled guilty to charges relating to betting on games he officiated. Unless you're just out to wipe out any nascent left-of-far-right voice on the air. Vercher's an entrepreneur who's getting hit with a lawsuit. I thought your side was the one who said greedy lawyers were choking the life out of businesses -- like Vercher's -- and that there needed to be limits when it comes to suing a business.

If you look through the court records of this country, I have no doubt you'll find suits filed all over the place involving many of America's great conservative talk radio stations. We all have access to the courts, at least for now.

"herself a "centrist" and that her positions on issues seem ill-formed and inchoate.

As for bringing up the lawsuit, it seems strange to make a victim out of a fellow who pled guilty to charges relating to betting on games he officiated. Unless you're just out to wipe out any nascent left-of-far-right voice on the air. Vercher's an entrepreneur who's getting hit with a lawsuit. I thought your side was the one who said greedy lawyers were choking the life out of businesses -- like Vercher's -- and that there need..."

It's about truth. I think it should ALL be on the table so to speak. Yes, the knucklehead did something illegal- and paid for his crimes. My point is to ascertain if the suit is still pending- regarding both Donaghy AND her brother against Mrs. Vercher. If the listening audience can come to a conclusion regarding her "ill informed" and / or "spin," on both her appearances on the "Big Show" and her weekend show, in addition to her brother and Donaghy, wouldn't that at least show the appearance (or habit) that alleged "misinformation" is one of her character traits? We all have the right to voice an opinion, regardless of the baloney of, "left-vs-right." It's not about "right-vs-left," it's about right-vs-wrong.
Oh, and by the way, I am DEFINITELY not a "conservative." I'd like to consider myself a classic liberal- look at ALL sides before making a descision.
To quote Mrs. Vercher, "Don't shoot the messenger."

So who exactly is Shawna Vercher anyways?
"Shawna Vercher currently the co-host of the ABC News radio morning show "The Big Show" and the host of her own talk radio show "The Shawna Vercher Show". She was recently named the President of the federal political group My America, an organization created to achieve the goal of restoring balance to the national political conversation by reclaiming patriotism and engaging everyday American voters.

Additionally, Shawna is a syndicated columnist for the Huffington Post, with an article that was recently published by the Wall Street Journal, and a nationally-renown public speaker who is working on her first book.

In the past Shawna served as a technology advisor to Governor Jeb Bush, on the national Presidential Campaign for Barack Obama and as the CEO of a Tampa-based consulting firm. Media contacts and experience from her political consulting propelled Shawna into the national spotlight and enabled her to work with prestigious businesses and public figures throughout the country and for her to be named as a media pioneer."

1.  I thought it was "live and local" with the "Big Show"?  Isn't it Walker and Reeves, except when Shawna Vercher "appears" on Tuesdays and Fridays?  Does she pay for her time on Saturdays?
2.  How is she "named the President of the company," when it is her company?  Her "My America" is registered as "buildyouramerica.org" and was purchased in January of 2011, and changed on March 24, 2011.  There is ZERO content, and she "owns" approximately 18 other sites (research pending).
3.  Her "Society of Successful Women" was last "active" in early November 2010.  No other information can be sourced by a credible source.  Other sites parrot her original/initial mission statement, without any further elaboration.  Where can the by-laws/accreditation be accessed?
4.  The WSJ article she "references" was picked-up by news aggregating software at the WSJ, NOT because she submitted/solicited for a column.  The WSJ only allows for about 6 lines of print- before directing a reader to the article source.  In this case, it cycles/returns to the "Huffington Post" article she blogged on circa Feb. 13, 2011.
5.  Who/what source named/cited her as a "media pioneer"?

All of her public professional information (usual net based networking sites) parrot each other; without credible sourcing i.e. regurgitating each other/incestuous sourcing.  It is a valiant attempt to "brand" herself as a sort of subject matter expert in one fashion or another.  however she attempts to further this illusion when she is on the "Big Show," and apparently has played with a "Poker Face" for Walker, Reeves, and Pankau.  Basically, Shawna Vercher is engaged in "self-accreditation."  Dare I say spinning the truth?
I resigned from a position a few years back due to the employer engaging in similar "spinning" and "misrepresenting" facts to the customer.  Frequently, their domains would change, numerous dissolution of names, multiple changes to business articles with the state, embellishment on facts, e-mail address changes et al etc.  It was as if the company needed money, but couldn't "stay in one spot" for long.  As if my former employer was skirting a fine line, bordered with/by plausible deniability:  "we never promised that..." "Oh, you must of misunderstood..." "No, so-and-so name is just another division of this so-and-so company..."  "Oh, okay, that was an 'old' address, here's the new one..."  "What do you mean my corporate card is denied?  well sir, the card is suspended for failure of payment...OK, thank you, let me call the CFO..." "You can't pay some now?  not until next month...  OK, I'll pick this one up myself to get back from here [San Antonio to Tampa], but I will expect reimbursement on the travel claim..."  Basically, it was a shell game.  If the customers EVER caught on to the game, well let's just say, "Bankruptcy," "insolvency," "foreclosure," and "unethical behavior."  The latter is devastating for a law lisence, and the state would DEFINITELY get involved.
What's this got to do with news/talk radio?
Credibility, integrity, honesty, an amplitude modulated interpersonal relationship with the public and the customers solicited by the advertisers for business on WWBA 820 AM.
Got to hand it to the "Big Show" though.  When they were talking about a book burning, the guy who did it was being interviewed on WFLA. 

Vercher loses appeal

On February 20th the Court of Appeals denied Shawna Vercher's appeal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom