• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes in DFW's LPTV market

It's good to be back

To start off, I have a couple of LPTV updates:

First, with Ion now showing HSN on KPXD/68.6, HSN has changed K25FW to HSN2

Second, KJJM has added a couple of simulcasts. Soul of the South is on 34.1 (as well as 26.2 and 50.1), and Peace TV is on 34.3 (as well as 28.3 and 50.3; they must like .3 for some reason)

Religious LP station KHFD/51 has been showing a slide on subchannel 51.3 that they'll be making some changes on Sept. 1 and "you may need to rescan." I think they're going to make the move from RF 51 to RF 26, a move I had originally expected them to hold off from making for another year at least because their new signal will cover significantly less of the metroplex.

Not a huge deal for me because I only use them as a test signal, but many of their viewers will have to find another source of religious/inspirational programming. (Of course, in DFW there's plenty of that to choose from.)

As you know KHFD has remained on RF 51. But they just filed an amended RF 26 CP application with the FCC. The new RF 26 app requests a Cedar Hill tower with a directional antenna similar to what several other LPTVs are using, but they would operate at only 4.55 kW.

Unlike the original RF 26 app, this one would let them continue to reach most of the metroplex.

Often this means little other than technical issues, but KJJM/34 has been off the air since at least Friday evening.

Other than infomercial/shopping channels, everything on 34 is also on other LPTVs in the area, so no one is missing anything.

Checked again last night. KJJM/34 is working, except for 34.1.

Subchannels 2, 3, 4, and 5 all worked when I tried them. Also, 34.3 was Gem Shopping network or something instead of Peace TV. So, it was all shopping/ infomercials.

Yessir. That's what I'm seeing on my TV's. Bob's graphs are still missing the calls which is why I mentioned the PSIP might be messed up.

34.1 was back on last night but it wasn't "Soul of the South." It was some religious show I remember seeing on 55 way back when it was KLDT.

As for the calls, I think they relabeled all their subchannels according to what's (supposed to be) on there, so there's no subchannel label containing the "KJJM" calls anymore.

I suspect that's what been messing up Bob's graphs. He'll probably have to manually add it to his script as you did.

Whoa; KHPK/28 has applied to move to RF 10 (VHF-Hi):

"STATION KHPK-LD RECEIVES SUBSTANCIAL (sic) INTERFERENCE FROM FIRST ADJACENT FULL POWER DIGITAL STATION KTXA, CHANNEL 29 IN FT. WORTH, TX THUS ENTITLING KHPK-LD TO DISPLACEMENT RELIEF."

I'm sure it does get some ACI from KTXA/21 on RF 29; I don't have any trouble receiving it myself, but perhaps others do. But that's been true for years; why move now - especially since there isn't a single subchannel on KHPK/28 that's not also broadcast on KODF/26, K31GL, and/or other DFW LPTV stations?

My guess is they're trying to get a jump on the many other stations that will want to move to VHF after incentive auctions and "repacking." It won't help them if a full-power station wants RF 10, but at least they'll have "dibs" against other LPTVs.

For what it is worth....KVFW-LD is back. It is showing color bars and call letters on 38.1.

Also, Black Premier Entertainment is gone from 55.4. It is now showing a "this channel for rent" sign.

Last night i saw on 49.3 the logo for a station called GRIT....can't find it anymore tho....this some kind of news station ?

I now scan 102 digital subchannels on my set. Of those, I only kept 29 that I might watch from time to time.

There hasn't been much LPTV action in DFW this year, but it looks like we are getting one new station. EICB-TV, religious owners of KHFD/51, have lit up station K26KC (on RF 26, naturally). Just barely detectable and not lockable at my location, but a few folks have picked it up.

Oddly, they seem to be using virtual channel 7.1 (I expected 36.1). We'll see if the signal improves with time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom