• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEEE Radio

Alright,
now while browsing some shops for neat records,
I stumbled upon a stack of Promotion Only 45's.
On one of the records is stamped "Keee"
With a symbol of a key,
Now, I'm almost sure KEEE was a Texas Radio station,
although I cannot find any information on it,
aside from a possible station in Nacogdoches, TX
What the heck is KEEE and where was it? when was it? and What happened to it?
If it helps the record with Keee stamped on it is
"Come Back To Me" by Mamie Lee the other side is My Funny Valentine

Now lets see if someone on here can figure this one out.

I did some google-ing and found that it was originally a Top-40 station in Nacogdoches. It was 1kW on 1230 am. Apparently, it was on the air at least around 1993 as News Talk 1230, but I haven't found anything after that. I know it is now silent.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?sr=Y&s=C&call=keee&x=0&y=0

You might have a lot better luck getting info if you post this in the Texas board instead.

unclepudd said:
If I recall correctly KEEE was either in Nacogdoches or Gladewater Texas. KLUE was Longview. KEYS is Corpus.

KEES is in Gladewater and is still on the air broadcasting a black gospel format on 1430. KEEE is a silent station that was in Nacogdoches on 1230.

Keee-am was in Nacogdoches, Texas for a very long time. When I worked there from 1979-81, we were 12-3 KEEE & was the best station in town. The program director at that time was Van Goodall, now in Waco. We were a top 40 station when it was still called Top 40. The station was owned by the Stallings family & they sold it long ago & the new owners from what I heard were awful & eventually the station went dark.

Many greats worked there, Mike Selden & Hubcap Carter to name a couple. I will never forget my time there.
Long live 12-3 KEEE. the late great 1230am KEEE Nacogdoches.

Yes, definitely the "only" Top-40 station in Nacogdoches in our days at SFA! We (A...... and I) drove around outside 'Doches in the '61 SUPER BEETLE looking for cheaper gasoline and drive around trying to get lost on the Farm-To-Market roads listening to KEEE, and have some 'fun,' ("Why Don't We Do It In The Road"?). KEEE (Key) radio repeatedly tried to hire me because of my Mid-Atlantic accent and how I "rounded my vowels." Some of the finest people we ever met were in Nacogdoches and with KEEE radio. The Striplings were local legends for their hospitality. I graduated and left Nacogdoches in '68, she went on to UT and Eastern Airlines. Still wonder how she's doing from time-to-time....

Carry On!
Woody
><>

Another lesser known jock named Bob Bick also worked there for a number of years. Bob last worked at KBOC, Bridgeport from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM weekdays until it went in Hispanic 2007. Bob died a few years later. He would talk about working with Hubcap (Ken) Carter all the time.

Looking into my collection it appears I have several records that came from KEEE Radio, several of which are promotional copies or regular 45s with color coding and chart positions written on their labels. In hindsight I wish I purchased the entire box from that antique shop in 2011.

Legends !

KEEE was owned/operated by J.C. Stallings from the late '50's through '73, when he died. His wife ran it for a few years with the help of a GM who thought that if you fired all the employees it would be easier to control them (automation, anyone?). Then it operated for a few more years under ownership of a couple of long-time employees, finally ending up with a group that took it to Talk, then turned it off.
During the Top 40 days, KEEE was a great sounding station that farmed a couple of busloads of large-market air personalities. From coast to coast, and everywhere in between, you will find great jocks who cut their teeth at KEEE, Nacogdoches.

I did news on KEEE in 1963-65. Then went to KDOK in Tylet, then KLIF Dallas then KILT Houston and then spent 20 years doing morning news at KOB Albuquerque. I'm 76 now, and still doing news in Albuquerque on am 730 KDAZ. Life is good.

I did news on KEEE in 1963-65. Then went to KDOK in Tylet, then KLIF Dallas then KILT Houston and then spent 20 years doing morning news at KOB Albuquerque. I'm 76 now, and still doing news in Albuquerque on am 730 KDAZ. Life is good.

Amazing story with some legendary stations. Congratulations for a long career!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom