• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

D

dfaulkner

Noticed 1190 was off the air around 0645 this morning. They are back on now & were on around midnight. Not sure how long they were off, at least 10 - 15 mins though.

I noticed it too. I was trying to pick out who was in the background (always hoping for WOWO!) but the car radio isn't the best thing for DX reception.

Wish I had my Sony 2010 with me!

radi0avenger said:
Probably something to do with it changing from night site to day site. That's about the timeframe.

I was thinking maybe a problem at the nighttime site. This was toward the end of night pattern. Switched to 1110, it was still KFAB, KVTT not signed on yet. When I heard 1190 back on (around 0800) it was the day pattern.

Googled for a list of day/night pattern change times, but didn't see one.

317C50KW said:
I noticed it too. I was trying to pick out who was in the background (always hoping for WOWO!) but the car radio isn't the best thing for DX reception.

Wish I had my Sony 2010 with me!

I could hear something in the background as well (also listening on a car radio), I couldn't tell what it was either.

They were also off yesterday (Mar 22) between 530 and 600 during the duration of my commute. I was hoping to pull in WOWO but no luck on the car radio.

MacOConnor said:
They were also off yesterday (Mar 22) between 530 and 600 during the duration of my commute. I was hoping to pull in WOWO but no luck on the car radio.

I believe WOWO is no longer a clear channel station. Some hack out of New York bought them and killed it in favor of his NY station. So they may have lowered power by then.

I believe WOWO is no longer a clear channel station. Some hack out of New York bought them and killed it in favor of his NY station. So they may have lowered power by then.
[/quote]

WOWO has a night time null to protect 1190 in Dallas and they are only 9.8KW at night. Their daytime power is still 50kW but it was still 45 minutes before sunrise in Fort Wayne at the time I was trying. Their daytime pattern is the only possible way to receive them in Texas which I did one night about ten years ago when they left the daytime pattern on. Fort Wayne Komets hockey was on the air.

MacOConnor said:

WOWO has a night time null to protect 1190 in Dallas and they are only 9.8KW at night. Their daytime power is still 50kW but it was still 45 minutes before sunrise in Fort Wayne at the time I was trying. Their daytime pattern is the only possible way to receive them in Texas which I did one night about ten years ago when they left the daytime pattern on. Fort Wayne Komets hockey was on the air.
[/quote]

That hack was the great Percy Sutton (RIP) owner of Inner City Broadcasting and the Apollo Theather. They own WLIB in NYC.

What's wrong with the audio on 1190? It's very soft and under-modulated (day and night sites). Trying to prolong tube life maybe?

Back around May 2005 when they were doing oldies, KFXR had quite possibly the finest audio I've heard on AM since the glory days of Jim Loupas at WCFL in the 1970's. Really. It was that good for a while.

MacOConnor said:
WOWO has a night time null to protect 1190 in Dallas and they are only 9.8KW at night.

Actually it was the other way around, since WOWO predates the appearance of 1190 in Dallas; KLIF signed on in 1947. WOWO did, however, have to take other stations into consideration since they took a step down from class A status to class B. Originally they had to be concerned with just one U.S. station (KEX Portland) and a Mexican allocation (eventually appearing as XEWK in Guadalajara). That's still evident with the nulls in the WOWO pattern to the southwest and northwest.

Back around May 2005 when they were doing oldies, KFXR had quite possibly the finest audio I've heard on AM since the glory days of Jim Loupas at WCFL in the 1970's. Really. It was that good for a while.
[/quote]

Just to show you what kind of geek I am, when it was K*LUV/AM, I used to listen on broadband AM radios in the house and car. It sounded great.

I've noticed the low modulation on 1190 too. Punching between 1190 and even 1160 (since Salem took over) and there is a noticable difference in modulation density between the two.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom