• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRR The classical station

recto101

Inactive
Inactive User
I like this station. It has great local DJ's like KDFC there and very original music. I'm surprised that it is still commercial and recently San Francisco's KDFC and NYC's WQXR had to convert to independent and non-profit classical music station and change frequencies to LP stations.

http://www.wrr101.com/
What do you guys think of it?

recto101 said:
I like this station. It has great local DJ's like KDFC there and very original music. I'm surprised that it is still commercial and recently San Francisco's KDFC and NYC's WQXR had to convert to independent and non-profit classical music station and change frequencies to LP stations.

http://www.wrr101.com/
What do you guys think of it?

I think it sucks

When I was still living in Dallas i definitely enjoyed listing to WRR and I think they have other donations in addition to ad revenue. It's very interesting to me how WRR came about and that they it is still owned and operated by the city.

bradgoehl said:
When I was still living in Dallas i definitely enjoyed listing to WRR and I think they have other donations in addition to ad revenue. It's very interesting to me how WRR came about and that they it is still owned and operated by the city.

Yes, it's quite good and it has been for as long as I remember. What's more, it's live in all dayparts except for overnights and some weekend programming. Like I've said before, the only thing I don't care for is their broadcast of the Dallas City Council meetings, which seems like a perfect candidate for an HD2 channel. The station makes money and it isn't going anywhere, thanks to the often mentioned "Friends of WRR."

I love Tempie but I liked her better on the Oasis. As far as WRR goes... with Dallas' budget crunch they should sell WRR and move to the left end of the dial and have pledge drives. Personally, I can't understand why anyone wants to listen to Bugs Bunny background music :p or Dallas City Council meetings.

jeffdfw said:
I love Tempie but I liked her better on the Oasis. As far as WRR goes... with Dallas' budget crunch they should sell WRR and move to the left end of the dial and have pledge drives. Personally, I can't understand why anyone wants to listen to Bugs Bunny background music :p or Dallas City Council meetings.

Bugs Bunny music is the greatest! Its on CD even! I outta know. I have the great works of Carl Staling.

Don't be dissing my Bunny!

How can you screw with hunters, murder opera, hack off Short fused gunslingers, drive mallard ducks crazy and drop anvils on people without that music!

Besides if a "certain wabbit" was here, I'd pay good money to see him screw with John Wiley Price just for comic effect!

"Of course you know, THIS MEANS WAR!" ;D

-BGH

jeffdfw said:

As long as the "Friends" have a say, that will never happen.

Re: WRR The classical "Hits" station

jd said:
Like I've said before, the only thing I don't care for is their broadcast of the Dallas City Council meetings, which seems like a perfect candidate for an HD2 channel. The station makes money and it isn't going anywhere, thanks to the often mentioned "Friends of WRR."

Yes, I have often mused why WRR does not go to an HD 2 channel, for the rest of "us". WRR does well in playing to the masses with Classical Music's "Greatest Hits" on a most repetitive and regular basis.

What I want and need from WRR is more Soundtrack music. More than the standard populist "Star Wars" / "The Lion King" fare.

What I want aired, on a continuing basis, are the really juicy cuts from the likes of Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, and John Barry.

Where else on the radio dial are you going to hear this moving music, if not on WRR ? ? ?

An HD-2 channel should give the station the leeway for independent programming, and not just another slot for more national syndication.

What ever happened to people with a passion for great music ? ?

I suppose WRR is consultant driven, in somewhat the same way the rest of the lowest common denominator radio is. "Just keep giving the masses what they want, and "we" know what they want, because we keep playing for them, over, and over again".... or some circular reasoning like that.

I can see it now, In the Future...

WRR-101
Dallas' Greatest Hits!

(Still Classical, but by then The Beatles Will Be Classical ;D )

Well, about 15 years ago, KFUO-FM in St. Louis was, "The Best Hits of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries!" KUAF 91.3, owned by the University of Arkansas, did something similar when it was still a classical station. It ran TV spots advertising itself as, "Northwest Arkansas's Oldies Station, and we're talking REALLY old!", after the local oldies station went country.

I know, it's not quite the same thing you're talking about, but classical radio can have a sense of humor!

TheRover said:
jd said:
Like I've said before, the only thing I don't care for is their broadcast of the Dallas City Council meetings, which seems like a perfect candidate for an HD2 channel. The station makes money and it isn't going anywhere, thanks to the often mentioned "Friends of WRR."

Yes, I have often mused why WRR does not go to an HD 2 channel, for the rest of "us". WRR does well in playing to the masses with Classical Music's "Greatest Hits" on a most repetitive and regular basis.

What I want and need from WRR is more Soundtrack music. More than the standard populist "Star Wars" / "The Lion King" fare.

What I want aired, on a continuing basis, are the really juicy cuts from the likes of Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, and John Barry.

Where else on the radio dial are you going to hear this moving music, if not on WRR ? ? ?

An HD-2 channel should give the station the leeway for independent programming, and not just another slot for more national syndication.

I suppose WRR is consultant driven, in somewhat the same way the rest of the lowest common denominator radio is. "Just keep giving the masses what they want, and "we" know what they want, because we keep playing for them, over, and over again".... or some circular reasoning like that.

KDFC did play the soundtrack cuts from movies when they were on 102.1 before the 90.3 move. I heard of the Star Wars theme played on KDFC during the morning drive back in 2010 "George from Mill Valley" most likely to be George Lucas did a morning request for star wars on KDFC back when it was on the final year at 102.1.

jd said:
Yes, it's quite good and it has been for as long as I remember. What's more, it's live in all dayparts except for overnights and some weekend programming. Like I've said before, the only thing I don't care for is their broadcast of the Dallas City Council meetings, which seems like a perfect candidate for an HD2 channel. The station makes money and it isn't going anywhere, thanks to the often mentioned "Friends of WRR."

I wish they should keep playing music on the stream while the city council is in session. I've wondered how cheap it might be to buy time to air council meetings on a (daytime-only probably) AM station that covers the City of Dallas adequately, wouldn't even have to cover the entire metroplex.

TheRover said:
jd said:

Funny thing you mentioned this. Sirius has Cinemagic. Its is a channel devoted to movie music.

-BGH

For many years, while WQXR NYC was owned by the NY Times, it broadcast Friday sundown services every week from a synogogue on the Upper East Side. In the winter, that meant the half hour religious broadcast came in the middle of afternoon drive. And the classical radio station that serves San Diego but is on the Mexican side of the border, XHLNC 104.3, each Sunday at 10pm, is required to air "La Hora Nacional," a Mexican govenment broadcast. I supposed mature listeners to Classical stations are more willing to accept these interuptions (such as the Dallas City Council meetings on WRR)

WQXR listeners were so used to Friday evening services that even the non-Jewish listeners I don't believe objected to the interuption. WQXR started its life as an AM station, so in addition to Friday services, it hung onto other AM-type elements, such as hourly newscasts (eventually, some midday and weekend newscasts were eliminated), a half-hour 6pm report featuring NY Times reporters, even a gong that sounded at the top of each hour. (What other station these days signals the top of the hour other than News and Talk stations?) Now that WQXR is a non-commercial radio station owned and operated by the local NPR station, those items are gone.

Hey, wasn't WRR originally an AM radio station

Gregg said:
Hey, wasn't WRR originally an AM radio station

Lifted from Mike Shannon's "DALLAS-FORT WORTH AM STATION HISTORY"

http://www.knus99.com/amlist.html

WRR, Dallas. Station legally established 8/4/1921 as the second licensed station in the US, but began broadcasting without a license in Fall, 1920. Format: Public Service (1920-1927,) Talk (1927-early 1970s,) Contemporary Oldies (early 1970s-1974,) All News/Talk (1974-6/12/1978.) Call letters stand for "Where Radio Radiates" (also said to be "White Rock Radio," for its proximity to that Dallas lake; the tower was once located on nearby Flagpole Hill; jokesters used to say, "We Reach Rockwall"!) Nickname: "Fun Radio." Owner: City of Dallas/City of Dallas Police Fire and Signal Department (fire department gave up control to the city in 1931.) Originally broadcasted at 20w (1920,) 100w (1921,) 500w (1925,) 5kW (1940) and at 833 kc, 1220 kc, 1150 kc, 850 kc, 650 kc, 1190 kc (1928-?, on a timeshare plan with WOAI-San Antonio) and 1280 kc (through at least 1935.) Network affiliation: Mutual/MBS, NBC News and Information Service (1974-?,) TSN. First licensed radio station in Texas (and second in the US,)

LibertyNT said:
I could've swore WRR was on 1310 too.

Yep. Before Bonneville bought it and 92.5FM and changed the calls to KAAM and KAFM respectively. Sing along with the jingle if you know it... "K, double A, double, double AM" (to the music of the old Wrigley's Doublemint jingle).

LibertyNT said:
I could've swore WRR was on 1310 too.

It was and 92.5 was originally KRLD FM. The tower is still on top of the south AM tower in Garland. WRR (before the upgrade) had a two tower array on flagpole hill.

Shannon will probably clear this up more:

My understanding is that WRR was originally on 1310. It was used to relay messages to the Dallas Police PD car squads. All of that later moved up to the VHF/UHF bands as we know today. It was a marvel for its time. Now its commonplace.

-BGH

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom