• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic hip hop on AM

bucwhyl

Banned
Tyler now has a classic hip hop station on AM; 1240 The Beat. Wonder how that would that do on an AM in market #5?

Oops... Ignore that 2nd "that".

bucwhyl said:
Tyler now has a classic hip hop station on AM; 1240 The Beat. Wonder how that would that do on an AM in market #5?

It might work on 730AM KKDA

charles123 said:
bucwhyl said:

It might work on 730AM KKDA

NO!!!!!

Streaming online. Good mix. Need to clean up local breaks. Commercials and liners cut off at the end. Set automation to avoid clipping local breaks.

I agree with not putting it on 730. I was thinking of if this Cumulus/Citadel deal go through, 570. I think it's the new Classic Hip Hop and R&B format Citadel has anyway.

LibertyNT said:
Well that sucks for Tyler, They Lost their Oldies Station AGAIN.

poor KDOK.

The station is really in Kilgore which is about 25 miles (or more) from Tyler. It's not much of a signal in Tyler or even Longview. That is a big part of the problem.

radioaircheck said:
Radio One should put it on 94.5 or CBS should on 107.5.

CBS won't flip it to that format. They want broad appeal formats.

Some clarification: KDOK was on 1490 in Tyler from the late 50's to the late 80's when it was a popular Top 40 station and later satellite oldies. Then in the late 80's those legendary calls were ditched for KYZS and ESPN Sports.

Then the KDOK calls moved to 1330 (the old KZAK, KTYL-AM and now KGLD) with standards. In the early 90's those calls moved to 92.1 continuing the standards format, and then local oldies for many years until two years ago when it became news-talk KTBB-FM.

Then Townsquare moved the KDOK calls to 1240 in Kilgore running "True Oldies". The signal covers Longview fine during the day but has a lot of problems at night, about a 10 mile signal at best. It's a 1000 watt station built for Kilgore, and it's dumb to think they'll get any ratings with old skool R&B and Hip-Hop... on AM?

Have anybody listened to their stream? I listened and never heard "1240 The Beat". Just music.

They had an Urban AC format on 590am for awhile. Did real good from what I hear but the owner got hit with a public file fine. He refused to pay it. They pulled his license and had an equipment fire sale. The freq is still silent.

-BGH

It was 690 AM KZEY in Tyler, and there were other violations, but the FCC didn't pull the license. www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2007/DA-07-4935A1.html

Not that it matters, though, since they've been gone for several years.

We have it on KNRJ here in Phoenix for about 3 years now. Is it with BIG BOYS NEIGHBORHOOD?

Its a seperate feed Big Boy is syndicated through dial global. Not sure why KNRJ is airing it in the afternoon. KDAY/KDEY in Los Angeles Riverside has the same format. Its still jockless but sounds good

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom