• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lucille Ball's "Lets Talk To Lucy" radio show.

mleach

Inactive
Inactive User
Last night I bought the DVD of thr old Eve Arden & Kaye Ballard TV show "The Mothers-In-Law". Among the extras was a segment called "Lets Talk To Lucy" which according to the DVD ran on CBS Radio for a short time in the 60's. The DVD featured Lucy chatting with Eve Arden. Meanwhile on You Tube today I did find this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8pPuwDUdXo ( Lucy chatting with Barbara Streisand )

Little is known about this show, at least available online other than Gary Morton was the announcer, Lucy was the host and that it had aired on CBS Radio. Did stations just aired this at their convience? Or was this on the CBS radio schedule like Arthur Godfrey's program was at the time.

Does anyone remember this?

I remember hearing this show in the Summer of 1962 on the CBS Radio Network. It was aired in the late morning - like 11:30 A.M. or something similar after the Godfrey show and was, I think, 15 minutes long. By this time, Lucy and Gary Morton were married.

Around this time, this show and another that starred Big Crosby and Rosemary Clooney made up the late morning line-up on CBS Radio following the Godfrey program.

Cincinnati Kid said:
I remember hearing this show in the Summer of 1962 on the CBS Radio Network. It was aired in the late morning - like 11:30 A.M. or something similar after the Godfrey show and was, I think, 15 minutes long. By this time, Lucy and Gary Morton were married.

Around this time, this show and another that starred Big Crosby and Rosemary Clooney made up the late morning line-up on CBS Radio following the Godfrey program.
Here is a clip from Art Linkletter's TV show where he and Lucy discuss their radio shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxihabHA0w

Longer version with classic Lucy antics at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP479fFp5ss

In the early-mid 60s, the CBS Radio network ran a two hour late morning block of personality talk-variety shows which included (at various times):
Arthur Godfrey (which stayed on until 1972).
Edited audio from Art Linkletter's House Party.
The Lucy-Gary Morton talk interview show.
Another talk-interview show with Gary Moore and Durwood Kirby.

The CBS shows ran opposite Don McNeil's Breakfast Club on ABC Radio in most markets.

The last two CBS shows featured personalities from the network's prime-time TV line-up and served to give the personalities some extra cash and promote the TV shows (sort of like when TV news anchors are used to read a TOH radio newscast now).

The Bing Crosby - Rosemary Clooney showed aired daytimes on CBS in the late 50s.

"Let's Talk to Lucy" began airing on CBS radio in the fall of 1964 and lasted for only a season. this was in the time between her TV shows "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy". the Crosby-Clooney show began on CBS radio on 29 February 1960 and continued through September 1962.

"The Lucy Show" ran from 1962-1968 and "Here's Lucy" from 1968-1974. So her radio show would have been on during the run of "The Lucy Show".

This was one of a number of personality talk-driven shows that formed the bulk of the west coast CBS station group, centered around KNX in Los Angeles. This was the time when Bob Crane was morning man and Ralph Story held down afternoon drive. It was full service with the emphasis on light entertainment all the way.

Crane, highly popular in mornings back then, was the key, and when he left to devote full time to his sitcom "Hogan's Heroes", it wasn't long before KNX was all-news. (They tried with Rege Cordic, imported from KDKA in Pittsburgh, but he flopped and returned to Pitt within a couple years while KNX then opened up the anchor desk and fired up the teletypes...becoming WCBS West...)

Kurt Toy said:
I thought Cordic stayed in LA to be an actor.

Cordic was awful....who had ever heard of olde frothingslosh out here? And that's about the only comedy bit he had to offer KNX listeners. I would hazard a guess that he was the second reason that KNX went all-news (besides CBS insisting on it)

Recalling the "Let's Talk To Lucy" show in TV Guide one time,
Lucy mentioned that it started as a temporary replacement for
Garry Moore, and that she had a portable tape recorder she could
take anywhere and interview anyone.

Also, does anybody know that Desi Arnaz had his own radio show
before "I Love Lucy"? It was called "Your Tropical Trip," a Sunday-
afternoon game show that aired on CBS radio in early 1951. In
addition to music from Desi's orchestra he would have contestants
guess such things as how many pounds of tobacco Cuba exported
the previous year (and, since I've never heard the program, I assume
that if they came within a certain range they won a trip to somewhere
in Latin America). The show later became "Earn Your Vacation" and was
Johnny Carson's first network television show, in the summer of 1954.
(BTW, as I said, I've never heard Desi's show but I have heard that he
wasn't too bad as a game-show host, even though he had no intention
of becoming Cuba's answer to Bill Cullen.)

Sally Bedell Smith in her book about Bill Paley, "In All His Glory", claims that Carson did a radio version of Earn Your Vacation-which according to The Encyclopedia Of TV Game Shows was hosted by Jay C. Flippen around 1949-50-and was talked into leaving by CBS brass so that Desi could be the new host and alter the format. According to another forum I frequent that was not the case. I don't think Johnny ever MC'd an audience participation show on network radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom