FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

Re: FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

like Big Markets like SF, LA, NY Chicago, Boston ect

Should put there AM's on the X-Band like KNBR could go on like 86.3

The X-Band proposal is so closely tied to the whole issue of TV band reclamation and re-packing that until a plan is finalized for it we probably won't see the FCC make any move to expand the FM band. The fact that they just recently auctioned off full power TV signals on channels 5 and 6 on the East Coast tells me that expanding FM is not on the Commission's radar--at least for now.

Industry sources are predicting that it will take about two years before a spectrum repurposing plan is agreed upon and finalized.
    Television Industry Pro

So could the FCC mandate FM tuning down to 76 (or 54) for type acceptance on FM radios now, whether or not the FM band ever gets expanded. Manufacturers may squawk, but Japanese spec receivers are already available and I've heard that China is expanding their FM band downwards.

I still say that it would be years before any expansion below 87.5 would or even could occur, but this might be a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-Stevens
    So could the FCC mandate FM tuning down to 76 (or 54) for type acceptance on FM radios now, whether or not the FM band ever gets expanded. Manufacturers may squawk, but Japanese spec receivers are already available and I've heard that China is expanding their FM band downwards.
    Type acceptance is not required for receivers. *

I'm not entirely certain the FCC has the power to mandate tuning down to 54/76MHz. An Act of Congress gave them the power to mandate UHF coverage in TV sets in the 1960s, but that law doesn't cover radios. I'm not a lawyer (and I don't know the text of the all-channel law) so I don't know if it could be stretched to allow an all-channel mandate for radio.

I certainly wouldn't bet on such a mandate being politically possible, especially when there are no stations currently in that spectrum and no regulations allowing for stations there.

* they are required to be certified under Part 15 to not radiate spurious signals that would interfere with other stations.

@w9wi
    I'm personally of the mindset that any expansion below 87.5 will take years and will likely be too late to save many of the AM stations that might benefit. If there is ever a band expansion, unlikely as it may be, I think the LPTV digital transition must come first.

Do you see any drop dead date for analog to digital LPTV conversion, and a resolution for the increasing number of ch.6 LPTV-as-FM stations?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-Stevens
    I'm personally of the mindset that any expansion below 87.5 will take years and will likely be too late to save many of the AM stations that might benefit. If there is ever a band expansion, unlikely as it may be, I think the LPTV digital transition must come first.
    Absolutely, on the expansion point. I think we'll also need to see action on a proposal to share UHF-TV spectrum with wireless services. (said proposal calls for encouraging TV stations to remain on VHF)

And I don't know that TV would be the primary source of opposition to an FM expansion. Established radio stations fought a pretty dramatic battle to stop non-commercial LPFM. I think it's likely they'd fight an even harder battle to stop an FM expansion that would expand the number of full-market (and probably, commercial) FM signals.

Do you see any drop dead date for analog to digital LPTV conversion, and a resolution for the increasing number of ch.6 LPTV-as-FM stations?
    See this link:
    http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...C-10-172A1.doc

There is a proceeding open to set a drop-dead date. Most likely, it will be sometime in 2012.

The channel-6-as-FM thing will be resolved the same way -- I cannot see the FCC authorizing channel 6 LPTVs to remain analog while forcing the other 49 channels to go digital. (in other words, these "FrankenFM" operations will cease to be radio stations when that transition happens. They will be free to continue to operate as TV outlets. )(A few digital LPTVs on other channels are actually already offering radio stations on some of their subchannels, and that may be an option for some of these. Especially if they also adopt the ATSC M/H standard which is likely to work in moving vehicles.)

Here's the official word from the FCC on radio band expansion:

"Expansion of the AM or FM radio bands is unlikely to occur in the near future."

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/howtoapply.html

So while it doesn't close the door on expansion, the FCC does warn that it won't happen soon. I'm thinking not until the issue of TV band repacking is settled which will take at least a couple of years. Personally, I would love to see radio take channels 5 & 6 and give the rest of lower VHF to public safety while moving them off of UHF.
    Television Industry Pro

and is also prevented from expanding below 88.1 MHz by Channel 6 television operations on 82.0 through 88.0 MHz
    No one is using 5 or 6 anywhere except in Phila, New York..Why is the FCC being so lazy about it, alot of AM's would be happy to jump

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania
    and is also prevented from expanding below 88.1 MHz by Channel 6 television operations on 82.0 through 88.0 MHz
    No one is using 5 or 6 anywhere except in Phila, New York..Why is the FCC being so lazy about it, alot of AM's would be happy to jump
    I count 23 full-power stations in 22 markets using channels 5 and 6.
    Most of them are major-network affiliates.

Market Station Network
    #4 Philadelphia WPVI-TV ABC
    #29 Nashville WTVF CBS
    #35 Milwaukee WWAZ-TV IND (application from ch. 43)
    #37 San Antonio KCWX CW
    #40 Birmingham WUOA ThisTV
    #41 Grand Rapids WGVK PBS
    #50 Memphis WMC-TV NBC
    #57 Albany/S./T. WRGB CBS
    #69* Wichita KBSD-DT CBS
    #72 Des Moines WOI-DT ABC
    #73 Toledo WLMG ION
    #93 Tri-Cities** WCYB-TV NBC
    #105 Lincoln/H./K. KHAS-TV NBC
    #114 Augusta, Ga. WCES-TV PBS
    #140 Medford, Ore. KOBI NBC
    #145 Albany, Ga. WABW-TV PBS
    #168 Clarksburg, WV WDTV CBS
    #174 Rapid City KIVV-TV Fox
    #180 Marquette WBKP CW
    #190 Butte KXLF-TV CBS
    #190 Butte KTVM-TV NBC
    #209 North Platte KWNB-TV ABC, Fox
    #210 Glendive KXGN-TV CBS

* Only for the Garden City/Dodge City area
    ** Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City, Tenn./Va.

Well don't put those station on 87.7 or 81.7 in those area's that has DTV 5 & 6

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast