FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

Re: FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania
    Please explain why you don't think so....

LPFM, Com, Non Com, AM Station's would go in the new Expaned Band

Why is it takng the FCC this long to decide what to do with analog Ch. 5 & 6 for FM

I'm for this, or even down to 50 Mhz
    Down to 50 MHz? Don't forget, there's a gap at 72 to 76 MHz (forget for what it is though)... I'd probably make former VHF channels 2, 3 and 4 (54-72 MHz) multiple amateur, military or experimental bands (are there any full-power DTV stations in VHF 2-4? Haven't heard of any...)

Quote Originally Posted by danikayser84
    (are there any full-power DTV stations in VHF 2-4? Haven't heard of any...)
    Channel 2:
    • KREX-TV Grand Junction, Colorado
    • WLBZ Bangor, Maine
    • KSNV Las Vegas
    • KOTA-TV Rapid City, South Dakota
    • KJWY Jackson, Wyoming

(plus two stations in Canada)

Channel 3:
    • KIEM-TV Eureka, California
    • WSBS-TV Key West, Florida
    • KYUS-TV Miles City, Montana
    • KVNV Ely, Nevada
    • KDLO-TV Florence, South Dakota
    • WBRA-TV Roanoke, Virginia

Channel 4:
    • WHBF-TV Rock Island, Illinois
    • KSNB-TV Superior, Nebraska

(plus 2 stations in Canada)

Darth_vader

"Don't forget, there's a gap at 72 to 76 MHz (forget for what it is though.)"

Paging services.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_vader
    "Don't forget, there's a gap at 72 to 76 MHz (forget for what it is though.)"

Paging services.
    Radiolocation, aviation, fixed & mobile services, and radio controlled aircraft (under CB rules) also use these frequencies.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

I think at this point a band expansion down to 76 MHz is very unlikely until both LPTVs and Canada and Mexico complete their DTV transition.

And even then a dim proposition and would take years to complete - possibly too late to save many AM and short-spaced FMs that might benefit.

I do think that 87.5, 87.7, and 87.9 as overflow FM channels where available are a possibility as the precedent has already been set (KSFH).

In Mexico it won't be til another 20 years or so...

Like in the San Diego Market where Analog 6 is still active XETV...The San Diego Market could use 76-82 Mhz because Ch. 6 is still on...

If that cause interference, don't use the X-Band in Area that has Ch 5 or 6

But in the SF, Sac, LA, Cle or other markets that the FM Band is Packed..could be used

I think this would be a good idea. Some radios already can receive this band by switching over to Japanese mode. The only issue would be getting TV stations to move frequencies, especially Canadian border towns that are exempt from the DTV mandate and low power stations. I don't see FM going away anytime soon, despite what some think. It still provides great audio quality and decent coverage, plus its free to receive unlike cellular internet or satellite radio and FM radios are pretty cheap.

It would help those who DX via e-skip since we would be able to receive FM skip on a much lower MUF.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Tecsun PL-390

I don't know why the FCC is sitting on there ass's about this

The FM Band is already Packed in some market's like L.A - Just expand it already

@Mario

I think it's a great idea, but it would take years to implement. Even if Canada and Mexico are taken out of the equation, there will still have to be a final disposition of analog LPTV.

I could be wrong, but I honestly can't see any expansion below 87.5 unless a bunch of other countries commit to it too - and even then unlikely.

Even on a secondary basis to EXISTING tv stations, it would be a huge benefit to use the 2-6 Tv band for fm now. I think am stations should be given an analog fm channel first for their local area, then the non-comm bunch etc. AM broadcasters deserve something that works. The fcc's lack of enforcement of noise generators like powerline and other noise emitting devices like dimmers and computers has rendered the current am and almost worthless. They need to offer a fix.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast